Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Breath of Death VII

Old 07-13-2011, 08:27 PM   #1
cipher86

It's only $1.50, but...

Pretty mediocore RPG. Full of references to other games (Resident Evil, Castlevania, Chrono Trigger, Zelda) but relies too much on these references, the game doesn't really create its own personality.

Combat was pretty straightforward, mash Attack a whole bunch until you level up and get better skills, then just spam those skills over and over and over. No strategy at all. Tried "Hard" difficulty for a bit and it just seemed to emphasize grinding more. Grinding isn't fun, so put it down.

Music is pretty dull aside from the battle theme and the final boss theme. A lot of it is actually kind of annoying, one melody that constantly loops itself. Might have been better with better instrumentation, but again the price...

I did like the way the encounter system worked, with random encounters disappearing after you kill "X" amount of enemies, and then just choosing to fight if you want to after that. Some areas were really easy though, because I could just sit next to a save point, use "Fight", then refill MP at the save point, use "Fight", ad nausea until the random encounters were gone and I just roamed the area unhindered.

Will try Cthulu, maybe it's better. I don't think this game is terrible, it's just incredibly average. If these guys made a game with a $10 pricepoint I'm sure I'd be singing a different tune.

tl;dr It's only $1.50, might as well play it for half an hour and see if you want to keep going (took me right around 3 to finish).
Old 07-13-2011, 09:08 PM   #2
Gordon Nukem

Honestly, so far I agree. It's a rather average RPG. I've only played for an hour and I'm already getting kind of bored. I'm still gonna finish it and I look forward to see what they've improved upon in Cthulhu Saves the World.

I hold no regrets for buying this, because yeah, at least it's appropriately priced. So I still encourage people to check it out. There's fun to be had.
Gordon Nukem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:35 PM   #3
theesh

That's the thing. These games are throw backs to oldschool rpgs and they know it. They use the humor and reference to define themselves. That's just the way these "new" 8-bit games are.
theesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:58 PM   #4
RainbowDespair

Zeboyd Games
Cthulhu Saves the World is a much more polished experience, which is to be expected considering our greater experience (BoDVII was our first major game) and the increased development time (BoDVII = 3 months starting from scratch. CSTW = 8 months with the basic RPG engine from BoDVII to build upon). We also had a talented musician create 20+ songs specifically for CSTW, whereas with BoDVII, we just licensed a few songs. Graphics are much better and more sophisticated in CSTW as well. I agree with you that we probably relied too much on meme humor for BoDVII which is why I tried hard to make the writing stronger and give the characters more personality in CSTW.

In short, Cthulhu Saves the World is the main attraction. We were originally going to just sell CSTW by itself, but a bunch of people wanted to play BoDVII as well and it wasn't too hard to convert to PC, so we threw it in as a fun bonus and so people could see how we started.
RainbowDespair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 05:28 PM   #5
Kovaelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowDespair View Post
Cthulhu Saves the World is a much more polished experience, which is to be expected considering our greater experience (BoDVII was our first major game) and the increased development time (BoDVII = 3 months starting from scratch. CSTW = 8 months with the basic RPG engine from BoDVII to build upon). We also had a talented musician create 20+ songs specifically for CSTW, whereas with BoDVII, we just licensed a few songs. Graphics are much better and more sophisticated in CSTW as well. I agree with you that we probably relied too much on meme humor for BoDVII which is why I tried hard to make the writing stronger and give the characters more personality in CSTW.

In short, Cthulhu Saves the World is the main attraction. We were originally going to just sell CSTW by itself, but a bunch of people wanted to play BoDVII as well and it wasn't too hard to convert to PC, so we threw it in as a fun bonus and so people could see how we started.
That's some interesting history.
Kovaelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:03 PM   #6
CaptainDingo

Rainbow, you might want to ask Valve about getting yourself a green name.

Just makes it a bit easier for people to not go "HEY, WHO ARE YOU AND HOW DO YOU KNOW THIS CRAP?!"

Last edited by CaptainDingo: 07-13-2011 at 10:17 PM.
CaptainDingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:05 PM   #7
livinglitch

Im playing it on normal and it seems to me that unlike the traditional RPG games your trying to make fun of you have to grind way more then normal, with not as good of results.
livinglitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:21 AM   #8
cool_boy_mew

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinglitch View Post
Im playing it on normal and it seems to me that unlike the traditional RPG games your trying to make fun of you have to grind way more then normal, with not as good of results.
I'm having difficulty understanding your post, are you saying that on normal the game is grindy? Huh? Not at all.

I guess I'm a tad disappointed about the normal difficulty, too easy =P, especially after finishing Dragon Warrior 1 this year.

I'm really satisfied about this game, I was expecting a good old 8-bit like RPG and that's what I got. I'm really glad these games got accepted on Steam, the 360 is probably the last console I'd get so I was kinda sad that I couldn't play this before.

I hope to see more of your games in here!
cool_boy_mew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 05:00 AM   #9
BigDaddyDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_boy_mew View Post

I'm really satisfied about this game, I was expecting a good old 8-bit like RPG and that's what I got. I'm really glad these games got accepted on Steam, the 360 is probably the last console I'd get so I was kinda sad that I couldn't play this before.

I hope to see more of your games in here!

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Can't wait to see what you come up with next.

BDD
BigDaddyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:12 AM   #10
Amy

Well, i hate this kind of game normally, but i gived a try for that damm low price and i don't regret it. It's pretty cool and you can't blame the low price lol
Amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:23 AM   #11
WikedX

I'm enjoying it. Mainly because I feel like I'm playing a comedic version of Final Fantasy. Maybe it doesn't have it's own personality, but I'm okay with that. I didn't get this hoping for the next best RPG, I got it hoping that I'd enjoy a good few hours of classic jrpg, which so far I'm getting
WikedX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 03:18 AM   #12
geobaldi5

Being a throwback game doesn't bother me at all, seeing as how a large majority of those RPG's back in the day, trump todays RPG's easily. It's nice to see one that sticks to the tried and true formula that works instead of just trying to dazzle with impressive visuals. Hope to see more throwback games come out in the future. 3D Dot Game Heroes is a Zelda throwback that came out last year, and it was one of the most enjoyable of that year as well.
geobaldi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:56 AM   #13
Enterprise

Okay my 2 cents as well.

I like the idea of jrpg parody and so far Im like 1-2 hours in the game and it offers what its priced for.

But one knit I have is is this:
I dont need impressive visuals and I knew this was gonna be oldschool. But please add some nice visuals for special attacks in it can be something basic I really dont care. Just something to make combat more interesting.
Also Id love more sound effects to go with those visuals. Because as it is now combat just is a tad TOO boring for me =). I hope you consider this I ll definately keep an eye on you guys and all in all Im pleased with the purchase =)

Edit: Maybe you can put in more work and just price it at 5 ? (just an idea)
Enterprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:58 AM   #14
RainbowDespair

Zeboyd Games
Cthulhu Saves the World (the game we made after BoDVII) has some special effects in combat (as well as better enemy art and battle backgrounds). And the game we're working on right now is going to be even better in that regard.
RainbowDespair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:09 AM   #15
Enterprise

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowDespair View Post
Cthulhu Saves the World (the game we made after BoDVII) has some special effects in combat (as well as better enemy art and battle backgrounds). And the game we're working on right now is going to be even better in that regard.
Thanks for the reply and Im happy to hear that !
You pretty much got my sale sure for taking the community into regard =)
Enterprise is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Breath of Death VII