Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Section 8 series

Old 08-18-2011, 06:12 AM   #1
disfeld

"GFWL failed to initialize" - what worked for me

Some background
Bought the game, launched it, and got the initialize error right away. Tried the GFWL uninstall/reinstall, and that didn't help either. At this point I noticed The Marketplace wouldn't launch either... until I uninstalled both GFWL and GFWM before reinstalling. Error persisted in Sector 8, but I had no problems launching The Market, and no problems playing other games like DOW2.

What got it working for me
It seems the issue lies with the way Sector 8 tries to load/instantiate GWFL, some AV/FW/HIPS protection systems see it as a "Buffer Overflow" and block it.

Many thanks to STG's posted fix on his blog, whose fix (for Comodo) was...
Quote:
Thought I'd share the following solution to the problem where you get the message Games for Windows live failed to initialize on Section 8 Prejudice, even before the main menu.
  • Open Comodo settings
  • Goto Defense+ Tab
  • Open Defense+ Settings
  • Goto "Execution Control Settings" Tab
  • Click on "Exclusions" for shellcode injections (Buffer overflow)
  • Add S9.exe
  • Add S9-Win32-F.exe from the Binaries directory
  • Click "Apply"
That worked for me.

This might work for other firewalls, just adjust the procedure to their setting screens.
I'm finally able to play the game!
Old 08-18-2011, 06:20 AM   #2
Tumex

EDIT: This totally worked. Works like a dream now. I can't believe Defense+ did that. It seems even when I disabled it a year ago for causing problems, it STILL manages to mess my stuff up. ARGH!

I have Comodo, but I've ALWAYS kept Defense+ as Disabled.

So it's not my problem at least. What I did do when it was installing the game on the background (The basic Steam-stuff), I clicked cancel when I saw it installing GFWL.. Comodo still asked me (twice at least) to allow connection for GFWL (allowed of course), then I started it again and it skipped GFWL and went straight into DX-settings, same thing. Allowed DX to connect though... I have a hard time believing that did it though.

I mean, I already have GWFL and DX -_-

Last edited by Tumex: 08-18-2011 at 11:00 AM.
Tumex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:57 AM   #3
Deadly Insane

Wow, thank you a lot. I dont know why Comodo dont popup a message warning me about that so I can just click ignore like it usually do.

Again, thanks.
Deadly Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:46 AM   #4
Sim47

Banned
I figured I wasn't the only one who was having this problem. Good thing I found this thread.

My Comodo seemed to crash after trying to play it several times (or maybe it just didn't start when I restarted my laptop). /fail
Even after it being off, it still says GFLW failed to initialize (probably because cmdagent.exe is still running).
Anyways, thanks for the fix OP, +rep.

P.S. Just a side note, if, like me, you have everything unchecked and all of the settings under the "Execution Control Settings" tab turned off, it still might not work until you add the .exe's into the Exclusions (though I'm not 100% certain; haven't tested it). Regardless of my blabbering, the above fix works. So again, thank you.
Sim47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:15 PM   #5
detlik

* OS - Windows 7 64-bit
* CPU - Intel i7-930
* RAM - 6GB
* GPU - Ati Radeon HD5870 2GB Matrix
* Anti-Virus/Firewall software installed - Norton 360 + Spybot search and destroy

I can start the game, I can log into GFWL but after I am logged in some new window appears (probably to install DLC) and after few seconds it says : Games for Windows Live failed to Initialize 80070057. I tried to reinstall GFWL and Sector 8 Prejudice but it had no effect. . I live in Czech Republic. Please help me.
detlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:57 AM   #6
etswawnate

GFWL outside US

Quote:
Originally Posted by detlik View Post
* OS - Windows 7 64-bit
* CPU - Intel i7-930
* RAM - 6GB
* GPU - Ati Radeon HD5870 2GB Matrix
* Anti-Virus/Firewall software installed - Norton 360 + Spybot search and destroy

I can start the game, I can log into GFWL but after I am logged in some new window appears (probably to install DLC) and after few seconds it says : Games for Windows Live failed to Initialize 80070057. I tried to reinstall GFWL and Sector 8 Prejudice but it had no effect. . I live in Czech Republic. Please help me.
From what I've read on other posts in here GFWL doesn't work in other countries. I don't know if that is being fixed or if they have plans to expand but from what everyone else has been saying on here it doesn't work.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:49 PM   #7
Nathan1el

Thanks, man. It really works.
Nathan1el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 05:38 PM   #8
nijuu

Thanks bro. I use comodo as well and your fix fixed it for me. Strange, that defense+ had given me issues with certain steam games in the past (had to manually add them), but never like this. Now for the multiplayer...
nijuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:30 PM   #9
Sgt_V3n0m

FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Didn't work for me. T-T

Now Section 8 isn't even popping up. This is what happens:

I press "Play"
the little thing around my profile pic turns green
after 5 seconds it goes away
game not up

T-T

I hate GFWL.

*EDIT*
Forgot to mention that I reinstalled the bloody game once. I also reinstalled GFWL so idk wtf is going on. If anyone can help i would be greatly appreciative.

Last edited by Sgt_V3n0m: 08-18-2011 at 07:35 PM.
Sgt_V3n0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:01 PM   #10
stgbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by disfeld View Post
Many thanks to STG's posted fix on his blog, whose fix (for Comodo) was...
You are welcome! Thanks for mentioning my blog.

It is sad to see how high the hits on the post got again after the new DLC.

The game release was months ago - couldn't Comodo just add an exception? It makes them look bad and I'm sure many people ended up uninstalling Comodo because of this...
stgbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:34 PM   #11
L33

I was having this problem today.
Check your AntiSpyware/Malware scanners as well.

The new spybot beta was running hidden in the background, which was blocking this from connecting.
I opened the start centre and closed all the services and boom it worked.
Hope that helps some of you.

I'm just guessing but TeaTimer in old spybot and similar will prob have the same effect.
L33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:08 AM   #12
Sgt_V3n0m

OK, after attempting to fix it for a few more hours, I FINALLY got the damn game to run! Apparently when I reinstalled GFWL something must have happened during installation. So reinstalling it again fixed it.

GFWL should still die in a fire IMHO.

*EDIT*
forgot to mention that doing the fix the OP stated works. At least I now know what to do when a GFWL game won't run for me.

Last edited by Sgt_V3n0m: 08-19-2011 at 08:19 AM.
Sgt_V3n0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:02 PM   #13
etswawnate

Zonealarm fix

Has anyone heard of a fix for Zone alarm for this problem? The only thing i've found on section 8 page is uninstall my firewall or disable it's main security feature which is the same thing in my opinion. I keep hearing what a great game it is but can't check it out as it won't work. I even preordered this game and still can't play. Another possibility is if it works on MAC or Linux? Anyone try it on there yet?
Old 08-19-2011, 04:58 PM   #14
westenra

Banned
What the hell is Comodo?
westenra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:40 PM   #15
etswawnate

Quote:
Originally Posted by westenra View Post
What the hell is Comodo?
It's a free software firewall

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Section 8 series