Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Airline Tycoon 2

Old 10-26-2011, 02:34 PM   #1
Limax

You should avoid this game...

...if you've played AT1 and liked it.

AT2 is nothing like the first one. Many of the old features are missing. There a lot of bugs and the humor isn't really funny. -_-

If you want to try it out, there is a Demo:

http://forum.kalypsomedia.com/showthread.php?tid=11743

But I warn you. Don't expect to much.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:46 PM   #2
lordofterror

terrible , also the demo is unpatched so expect more bugs and crashes.
how could they mess up with such a fun simple series like airline tycoon wish spellbound will make a proper sequel ....
lordofterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:46 AM   #3
Magwitch

It's a prime example of how NOT to make a business simulation.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:49 AM   #4
HolmesIV

The game does grow on one. I have to agree, though, I was very disappointed when I first launched it.

The developers seem to think that enormous amounts of clicking is a wonderful thing to do to the player. Where a well-designed interface might solve a problem with a click or two, this one can take an incredible number to perform a simple function.

Example, to change the look of your cabin:
-click on door to leave your office. repeatedly double click to move yourself rapidly in direction of design studio. Click on door of studio. (fortunately you can shortcut this previous bit with a cryptic hotkey, but you can't shortcut the rest). Click to talk to man. Click confirming you want to talk to him. Click to talk to cabin designer. Click on cabin designer. Click to confirm you want to talk to him. Click to indicate you want to change cabin design. Click to confirm. Click to confirm this plane (even if you have only one). Click to confirm you're really sure it's this plane. Now click on whatever you want to change, then click to accept the changes. Click to confirm that you want to be asked whether or not you will confirm this.

Then, and this is the moment of true genius, a yes/no dialogue is provided (in a different spot from where you just clicked to make it more annoying), and the yes/no options are reversed in position from where they are elsewhere in the game. Genius! Inconsistent UI design triumphs.

Click Yes.

All this makes me think that the designers were aiming for click-fiends with a mental age of about 5.

I don't know if I've ever seen as good a game (it does have some appeal) lumbered with such a horrifically cumbersome interface. Normally a game with an interface this bad is just horrific itself.

Would I buy it again? I don't know. Probably not. I think it's worth about $5, but not $25. On the other hand, I am still playing it...
Old 10-28-2011, 10:18 AM   #5
GeorgeT93

I didn't play the first one, so I have no basis for comparison. That said, as a newcomer to the series, the game does seem fun. The excessive clicking is annoying as anything (though on their website, they claim that's something they'll be addressing in patch 1.03). Also having to run all over your airport to get things done is nothing but a time-waster. But at least with the airport guide (buyable at the duty-free shop), it lets you open the list and 'jump' to any area you need to get to. So at least that's easier than having to remember the keyboard shortcuts, but the fact that you have to buy it in order to make game management/navigation easier is just plain stupid to me.

But again, as a newbie to the series, I am still having some fun with it. I can't say it was or wasn't worth my $25 honestly. I guess I won't know that for sure until I lose interest and see how many hours of gameplay I got out of it. :P
GeorgeT93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:32 PM   #6
TheWickedGerman

Quote:
to. So at least that's easier than having to remember the keyboard shortcuts, but the fact that you have to buy it in order to make game management/navigation easier is just plain stupid to me.
You don´t have to buy it, it works without too, you just have to know them. But the Idea is stupid indeed

PS: They claim the interface will be reworked with 1.03 much less clicky click click.
TheWickedGerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:01 PM   #7
City Builder

The easiest way to put it is simple... This is a $4.99 game, nothing more.

Disappointed.
City Builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 05:53 AM   #8
Aconight

I totally have to agree with City Builder. The fact that I've spent £30 on this basically means I've got to wait till the next pay day for Skyrim, which I'm really bitter about heh.

EDIT: Also, its inferred above that the game sells in the US for $25 meaning that our cousins over the Atlantic are effectively paying half of what we in the UK have to pay, for the same sub-standard game. I know there's going to be price differences, that's just economics in action, but that high a price difference is absurd! Now incredibly bitter about buying it. The friend who recommended it will be getting a dead leg next time I see him.

Save your money and get something that doesn't need 'time to grow on you' but is good from the moment you load it up. Wait till AT2 is in the £7 or £4 section if you really desperately want it.

Last edited by Aconight: 11-13-2011 at 06:00 AM.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Airline Tycoon 2