Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sequence

Old 11-02-2011, 05:11 AM   #1
Weimann

Sequence: A Normal Player's Opinions [Here There Be SPOILERS!]

I just finished watching the secret ending, and so I thought I'd post my opinion on the game here, because I like doing stuff like that after I've completed something.

I first got wind of Sequence through TotalBiscuit's WTF Is Sequence video. Being of the opinion that the greatest problem with RPG games are how they reduce player interaction to picking stuff from a list, and also being a fan of rhythm games (Guitar Hero and Elite Beat Agents are some of my favourite ever), I was intrigued by the design and decided to check it out. I'm glad I did. It's absolutely one of the better games I've played. As I see it, the game has two major strengths:

1) The marrige between rhythm game and RPG. The entire concept is very interesting, and something I'd love to see explored and developed in other games as well. The basic mechanic is creative and makes playing fun in its own right, even more so since the speed alternatives were added. It activates the player and makes them feel involved. That's good.

Naturally, there're better rhythm games, and there are better RPGs, but the mix manages to be something on it's own rather than just a lukewarm mix. I'm thinking (hoping) we've only seen the start of this genre, and Sequence is no bad first step.

2) The characters and voice-acting. A fully voice acted game? I used to say I didn't care about stuff like that, but damn if it wasn't very nice. It helped give the characters, well, character, and that was certainly a great part of the game as well; the colourful gallery of characters that were very funny and well-written. I liked the humour, I liked the script, I liked the banter... I liked most of it.

Note that I say characters, not story. It wasn't bad by any means; I got big The World Ends With You vibes from it, and that's a good thing. No shame in using what works. Still, I found that the conclusion at the end was... well, I'm not sure. On one hand, Mir's explanation to Ky that he was in a game of carefully calculated increasing difficulty was one of the better written parts of the script for how meta it got, and the fact that it plays straight that what the player probably cares about is playing matchmaker between Ky and Naia more than anything else. On the other hand, taking this and making it an IC thing is... I dunno. It felt strange. How would one go about finding and abducting top genetic specimen, and then also adjust their scripts so they matched? Also, my bull meter hit the ceiling when they started delving into genetic theory, and creating "geniuses" or whatever, but that's probably coloured by my own opinion that genetics play a vanishingly small part in how a human being turns out, individually.

On another note, I've definitely enjoyed the free-play and speed alternatives that got added in the last patch. Great! Now I can play the songs right through, like a full-fledged rhythm game, and while I didn't particularly get blown away by the music (not my genres, and I could use some actual songs, not just instrumental stuff), it's a very valuable feature. Maybe add a way to change difficulties in the options menu, rather than in the single player game, though?

All in all, I think you can see how thrilled I am about this game and what might come after it. I heartily recommend it, and hope to see a Sequel some time in the future!
Old 11-02-2011, 06:03 AM   #2
SSoundscape

Banned
So why did you post this again?
SSoundscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:11 AM   #3
Weimann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weimann
because I like doing stuff like that after I've completed something.
First sentence, man. :P

Or well, to elaborate: why not? I figure talking about the game is what the forum is here for, so here's what I've got to say about it. It's really nothing more and nothing less.

Last edited by Weimann: 11-02-2011 at 06:22 AM.
Weimann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:28 AM   #4
SSoundscape

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weimann View Post
First sentence, man. :P

Or well, to elaborate: why not? I figure talking about the game is what the forum is here for, so here's what I've got to say about it. It's really nothing more and nothing less.
Redundant and not adding anything to the discussion.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:40 AM   #5
Weimann

Hm. I must say I didn't expect that reaction from someone who does a Let's Play of the game (which I quite enjoy, as it were; you got a great sense of humour, and I'm eagerly awaiting your next episode ). That too must surely be a representation of your own opinions, just in video form instead of text, right? Of course, yours are better than mine (for example, you brought up the experience-for-items thing, which I failed to touch on even if it was something I had taken note of), but I doubt there's not room enough on the internet for both of them, is there?

In any case, I'm sorry you feel that way. What would you suggest I add to make it relevant?
Old 11-02-2011, 09:48 AM   #6
SSoundscape

Banned
Quote:
Hm. I must say I didn't expect that reaction from someone who does a Let's Play of the game (which I quite enjoy, as it were; you got a great sense of humour, and I'm eagerly awaiting your next episode ). That too must surely be a representation of your own opinions, just in video form instead of text, right? Of course, yours are better than mine (for example, you brought up the experience-for-items thing, which I failed to touch on even if it was something I had taken note of), but I doubt there's not room enough on the internet for both of them, is there?

In any case, I'm sorry you feel that way. What would you suggest I add to make it relevant?
I will clarify and say I find it kind of disappointing to call my work a Let's Play because it is an insult to Slowbeef, a far more capable individual than I am.

I find that this post is more or less a summary of opinions regarding the game's content, which is far better placed in the form of review. It does not make for a good forum post because it is not focused deeply enough on a single subject.

That is just me though. There has been a lot of threads exactly like this for summarized opinions. Said threads should be merged together.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:47 AM   #7
madcatz1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSoundscape View Post
So why did you post this again?
Why did you post that? Seriously, half your posts in this forum have been like this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSoundscape
I cannot come up with words in the English language in order to express how unnecessary this thread is.
Quote:
I cannot hate this thread any more than I already do
Quote:
Verify your game cache integrity.

Then shut up.
(wasn't the issue)
Quote:
Shut up.

Become an almighty programmer who manages to make a game which works on every PC in the world without any funding from stockholders.
Quote:
Already implemented

/thread
(you were wrong)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssoundscape
Fail.
(when someone gave you a band-aid to fix something that was about to be patched anyways)

Sorry for the rant, but I don't see how you feel justified in making posts like this time and time again.
madcatz1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:37 AM   #8
ajs410

I'm sure the developer appreciates positive feedback.
ajs410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:41 AM   #9
IridiumStudios

Iridium Studios
I certainly do! Be nice, Soundscape. = D

Thanks for writing, Weimann. It's always good to hear what gamers think, so we can learn from our strengths and weaknesses to make the next game even better.
IridiumStudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:59 AM   #10
SSoundscape

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by IridiumStudios View Post
I certainly do! Be nice, Soundscape. = D

Thanks for writing, Weimann. It's always good to hear what gamers think, so we can learn from our strengths and weaknesses to make the next game even better.
I am being nice. Why do ya always gotta pick on me ya bully? >:c

I jest, but I guess threads like this have a point!
Old 11-02-2011, 11:15 AM   #11
Weimann

I think so. If nothing else, positive atmosphere and engagement in the game can hardly hurt it, and reactions to my opinoins may spark further discussion.

Or not, and it dies unread, which really isn't a problem either.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:14 AM   #12
Thornkill

Quote:
I think so. If nothing else, positive atmosphere and engagement in the game can hardly hurt it, and reactions to my opinoins may spark further discussion.

Or not, and it dies unread, which really isn't a problem either.
Dude Weimann keep it up man I enjoyed reading your post even though i've finished the game!

IRIDIUM - Good luck on future efforts, and keep up the good work, you got a loyal customer
Thornkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:54 PM   #13
Bl@ck

I think one of the big factors of a thread like this is for potential sales. A lot of gamers check out the forums before making a purchase on Steam. It's where you can find what issues you might face, if the game is worth it in the eyes of other gamers, what strengths it has, weaknesses, etc.

Positive threads help keep the aura around the game positive I guess is what I'm saying. That in itself is productive in a way.
Bl@ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:36 AM   #14
ozzyoscy

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bl@ck View Post
I think one of the big factors of a thread like this is for potential sales. A lot of gamers check out the forums before making a purchase on Steam. It's where you can find what issues you might face, if the game is worth it in the eyes of other gamers, what strengths it has, weaknesses, etc.

Positive threads help keep the aura around the game positive I guess is what I'm saying. That in itself is productive in a way.
I'm about to add epicly to this thread as a Gamer Who Checks Out The Forums (and reviews) Before Making A Purchase On Steam:

I use GameFAQs, Metacritic and Mobygames to find reviews on games. There are no reviews for this game. There is one each from IGN and GameSpot, but I do not acknowledge feedback from the equivalents of a corrupt cop and a bi-polar child. There is one user review on GameFAQs, which gives it 10/10. Also, of the two or three threads giving an opinion on the game, the opinion has been "amazing" and "10/10".

This is actually BAD. When I see a game with a couple of reviews or opinions which are all 'amazing', '10/10' etc., I have basically got no information.

It is not an uncommon practise that when a company, a chef etc. asks for feedback from the public, they toss aside the positive ones and read the not-perfect ones with critiques.

The only way to get a more-accurate-than-not perception on if I as an individual will like a game is if I know what the game's failings are. Every game has at least one failing. If I know the bad or not-so-great points and find them acceptable, I will buy a game. Any games that are so iconic that any failings are miniscule, the fuss over it will be so prominent that someone like me to KNOW that it is amazing and I do indeed have to play it. Not to be confused with hype and hyperbole.

Still, this game is only £1 right now. However I have plenty of games, and given what I said above I won't be buying it at the moment. Plus, rhythm/DDR isn't one of my favourite genres anyway.

Not saying this is a terrible game, I haven't played it, just that a few people claiming it's 10/10 is as helpful as a few people saying "it's well gay" and giving it 1/10.

Last edited by ozzyoscy: 12-27-2011 at 10:40 AM.
ozzyoscy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:06 AM   #15
IridiumStudios

Iridium Studios
There are a couple of "not super amazing" reviews out there for Sequence, probably the best coming from KillScreen. Even I'll admit there are some legitimate flaws...the jokes can be hit-or-miss occasionally, and there's probably too much grinding for the average players' tastes.

Still, it's $1.24. Why not? = D

Link to review in question: http://killscreendaily.com/articles/...eview-sequence
IridiumStudios is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sequence