Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V

Old 11-13-2011, 11:59 PM   #1
Sckruffi

560ti sometimes getting maxed out, anything I can do?

I have an EVGA GTX 560ti, and for some reason only sometimes when I play it maxes out at 99% and the game becomes unplayable. It didn't do this when I first got the game, and it only happens sometimes, seems like every other play. Temps seem to be a consistent 60*C during every play, even when at 99%, and the PC is getting proper ventilation so I don't think it's a heating issue. I don't ever have anything else running, only Skyrim. The game auto played on High and I haven't adjusted anything, should I? What should I adjust? Processor is an i7 950 and I have 6gb of RAM if that also helps.

Thanks.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:29 AM   #2
deadpuppies

Make sure you have the latest drivers for all of your hardware especially the video card. I play the game on ultra and your hardware is way better than mine (Q6600 OC'd - 3.2, GTX260, 4GB RAM) so you should be able to turn it up with no problems. Look for .ini tweaks (I saw a good list in this forum) for adjusting certain graphical settings there.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:34 AM   #3
JKflipflop

Turn off the normal antialiasing and enable the FXAA option in the advanced tab. See what that does for you.
JKflipflop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 12:26 PM   #4
Amarinth

You're not the only one with this problem, it also happens to me (GTX 470).

GPU useage gets stuck at 99% while the FPS drops to 30 or even less (in comparison I'm normally running at a variable 50-80% useage with a constant 60 fps). Alt-tabbing out of the game and back in instantly fixes it and it doesn't seem to reoccur for quite a while after that.

Also one thing that might be note-worthy is that so far it only seems to happen outdoors and not inside any buildings or caves. That's rather interesting as I've used the ini tweak to display self-shadows on trees and rocks, which may or may not be related to this.

I'm going to do some more testing on this, but the bug happens very infrequently so it may take some time to figure out what's causing it.
Amarinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 12:58 PM   #5
Moil

I have the 560ti as well. My game defaulted my graphics settings to max out the anti aliasing for some reason. Ran my 560ti at 100% until I dropped the anti aliasing to 0 in the options and turned on FXAA instead. Now my 560ti idles along happily at 35-60% usage while my poor dual core E8400 blunders along at 100% usage.
Moil is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V