Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Batman: Arkham City

Old 12-22-2011, 12:30 AM   #1
Phatmillips

New Buyers - How to play Arkham City and redeem all your DLC

Theres a lot of confusion and just plain bad information on these forums for various reasons we're not going to discuss in this thread.

This thread is purely a step by step on how to get your AC game up and running with any dlc you might have purchased. Please reply with any questions in the end.

1) Make sure you download the game and run it once.

You will need to sign in with your Games for Windows Live account, AKA your Xbox 360 Profile / Windows Live account if you have one. If you dont have one you should be able to create one.

2) Once signed in, redeem your keycode in the pop up.

If you have ever played another GFWL game before on your computer you will auto sign into the game - there will be a popup box that will ask you to enter your cdkey. Just copy and paste the CDkey from steam into this.

Doing this will BIND the game to this account, to the gamertag/GFWL account - which shouldn't be an issue but I want you to know.

3) Accept the auto update.

I don't know why there is an ingame patch but just say yes to it and then once the update is done - close/exit the game from the main screen. Once out the game will patch some random things I don't have patch notes for. You will then be free to sign into the game again, but don't.

4) Redeem your DLC in game or go to http://marketplace.xbox.com

I prefer the website/GFWL program but its up to you.

i) to redeem ingame press the HOME key on your keyboard OR the XBOX Guide button on your controller. Click on your profile, should be the left most button that displays your profile name and gamerscore. There is an option on this new screen that will say Redeem Code. Redeem one code, download then say continue - repeat the process for any remaining DLC. I would personally exit the game at this time and then continue to the GFWL program on your computer to monitor your downloads.

ii) if you go to the website, click on MY ACCOUNT at the top right hand corner (sign in first) then redeem code on the bottom-left area, under Payment & Billing. Do the same as mentioned before.

5) Monitor your downloads in the GFWL program on your compuer

To find it go to your Start button and search for "Games for Windows Live Marketplace" - it should find a program - sign in again with your windows live account. Click on the download tab - when all your DLC is downloaded and installed you're good to go

This step is optional - however if you don't do this you wont be able to watch your active downloads in game. You will be forced to download your DLC one at a time. It's much easier to redeem your downloads, set them to your download queue, then confirm the downloads are done through the GFWL manager.

---

That should be it, if you have any questions comments or concerns about this or anything else lemmie know as I can help you.

Before I forget, dont forget to download this free DLC from the marketplace:

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-CA/Pr...f-000f57520fa0

if the link doesnt work for you change en-CA to the region you live in, such as en-US

edit:

This is what my GFWL program shows after i finished downloading all the DLC and yours should too if you get everything (minus Tinker which is a free game and Section8 stuff)

http://s12.postimage.org/5rbuzngot/GFWL.jpg

FAQS

WHERE TO FIND YOUR DLC OR TO CHECK VERIFY THAT YOU HAVE IT

Open up the game, from the main screen (after creating a save file) click on your trophy collection - at the bottom you should see all the DLC skins...they should say NEW on it. Also click on the Riddler Revenge option from the main screen - that will give you the option for Batman - Catwoman - Robin - Nightwing

If I go from offline/no profile to a profile - or if change my GFWL profile - or anything along these lines; will I lose my saved games?

Yes you will. How GFWL operates is like how it is currently on XBOX 360 - your saves and DLC are associated to your gamertag / Windows LIVE ID. So if you are playing without a profile and then decide to create a profile you will lose all progress and will be forced to start again.

My GFWL isnt working - and I'm using Windows 8

Quote:
If you are running Windows 8 and your game doesn't even show GFWL at all no matter what you do, here's how to fix it.
Delete all previous installations of GFWL and clean the registry. (ccleaner is a good program that will do this)
Download gfwlivesetupmin.exe (28 Mb), from HERE
Install the client and run it. It will ask you to download an update (624 Kb) called gfwlivesetup.exe by clicking the requested link. Install it.
Launch GFWLive.exe from C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games for Windows - LIVE\Client.
Launch Batman: Arkham City and the Home button should work now, create or sign into an account and play.

Also enable Microsoft Update in Windows 8 and update the OS.
Fix from Reynbow - http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=2318449

How do I use my DLC skins or the new skin I just downloaded?

The skins are activated in one of two ways.

i) You must have beaten the game before hand. When you start a new game or continue your save you will have the option to select your Batman Skin

ii) If you want to use your skins earlier, enter in the code:

Left, Left, Down, Down, Left, Left, Right, Up, Up, Down

From the main menu after you have entered your profile.

NOTE: You must have played the game for a few seconds as Catwoman first. Start the game normally, when you have control as Catwoman - pause the game, quit to the main menu. Enter the code and the next time you go back to continue (in the same session) you will be given the opportunity to change your skin.

Where are the challenge maps DLC I bought/downloaded?

If you downloaded/bought the challenge maps DLC, to access them select the Riddlers Revenge - a character (Batman/Catwoman/ETC) and then go into either ranked or custom matches. Once in the screen that asks you to pick your map, tab over to the DOWNLOADED tab. I dont have the keyboard input but for the Xbox 360 Controller its the Right Bumper. Once there you will see all the Downloaded challenge maps, AKA your DLC

My DLC isnt working - OR - Do I need to be ONLINE to access my DLC?

How GFWL works is a lot like the Xbox 360. You have a profile and you use that profile/gamertag to conduct your business. You accumalate gamerscore or an achievement score. You can use your exact same Gamertag that you use for Xbox 360 if you have one too.

You MUST sign into your gamertag in game and physically redeem the DLC codes to use your Robin and Nightwing DLC. The other steam DLC is provided to you automatically.

This means if you never sign into a profile and/or go online - you will NOT be able to use your paid DLC.

What is a Games For Windows LIVE profile? Or how do I know I have one?

A Windows LIVE / Xbox 360 gamertag is needed to sign in to play the game and authorize your DLC. How you know you have one is if you have a Xbox 360 account and/or a Hotmail/MSN email account.

If you go to, http://www.live.com you will be able to determine if you have one or sign up for an account very easily. You can then use this new account for any other MSN/Microsoft activities as well.

Last edited by Phatmillips: 07-15-2012 at 02:37 AM. Reason: typos, additional information
Old 12-22-2011, 12:50 AM   #2
Reynbow

Yeah that's great and all, but when I start the game up, there is NO GFWL at all... I can't open the dashboard, because it's not there.
Reynbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:53 AM   #3
Phatmillips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynbow View Post
Yeah that's great and all, but when I start the game up, there is NO GFWL at all... I can't open the dashboard, because it's not there.
If you press the Guide button on your controller or HOME on your keyboard, nothing happens?
Phatmillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:56 AM   #4
Reynbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatmillips View Post
If you press the Guide button on your controller or HOME on your keyboard, nothing happens?
Yep, exactly. Like I said.

Even if I try to click the "Live" button in the game menu. Nothing happens.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:57 AM   #5
Extreme_0ne

Quote:

Did you buy Steam or Retail version of the game?

Maybe try downloading and installing the GFWL client manually:

http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/live/pc/downloadclient
Extreme_0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:00 AM   #6
Phatmillips

Quote:

I would exit the game and reinstall games for windows live - i assume you live in a territory that GFWL exists? Such as United States or Canada?

http://www.xbox.com/en-CA/live/pc/downloadclient

again, change en-CA to something else like en-US if the link doesnt work.

I will also need more information if this doesnt solve your issue - such as, do you already have an Xbox Gamer Tag / Microsoft Passport ID?
Old 12-22-2011, 01:00 AM   #7
Markamus

thankyou for this, good info. Such a convoluted system :s
Markamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:00 AM   #8
Shevek2010

OP, thank you for this post - it has been very helpful!

General question: I've been playing this game with an offline profile. Does anyone know if I will lose my saved games once I start signing in with a Windows Live account?
Shevek2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:03 AM   #9
Phatmillips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shevek2010 View Post
OP, thank you for this post - it has been very helpful!

General question: I've been playing this game with an offline profile. Does anyone know if I will lose my saved games once I start signing in with a Windows Live account?
Yes you will because saves for GFWL accounts are associated with your gamertag/profile - thus if you switch profiles, create a new one or go from offline to online you will lose your saved games.

There is an option for you to play "offline" like steam does while still signed in to your GFWL profile - but currently if you go from no profile to profile you will lose your saved games and will start from scratch.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:07 AM   #10
Reynbow

Okay so, I figured out what my issue was.

I'm using Windows 8. (Yes, Eight).

GFWL doesn't work with 8. But there is a fix, that I'm gonna post a thread for so others can fix theirs.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:08 AM   #11
Phatmillips

Quote:

GFWL doesn't work with 8. But there is a fix, that I'm gonna post a thread for so others can fix theirs.
Ill be sure to update my mini-faq section in this thread when you do.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:12 AM   #12
Reynbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatmillips View Post
Ill be sure to update my mini-faq section in this thread when you do.
Sure no problem, just posted.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:36 PM   #13
N.O.U.G.N.

Quote:

I'm running Windows 8 64bit developer edition and GFWL is working just fine. the Batman DX11 patch didn't improve anything but everything else is fine.
N.O.U.G.N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:24 AM   #14
Phatmillips

Bump for the morning crew, added new faqs as well.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:29 AM   #15
aaronmoi

i feel bad for supporting this behavior with my money... but damn, i loved arkham asylum so much... whoever thought GFWL was a good idea
aaronmoi is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Batman: Arkham City