Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Section 8 series

Old 12-28-2011, 06:52 PM   #1
bonapartist

YES IT'S WORTH it. More depth than 95% of online FPS games

Really, I'm not kidding. The amount of options available for how you specialize your character is huge.

This game really does have more depth in its multiplayer modes than 95% of the games today, and many times the depth of titles like the MW and COD series.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:10 PM   #2
Undesired Hero

it is, i agree
Undesired Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:08 AM   #3
Orbitrap

yes this game is a blast....
Orbitrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:17 AM   #4
broodjeparkiet0

yup it is awesome
broodjeparkiet0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:37 AM   #5
Pumpgunner

Hey, that acutally looks pretty awesome! And only 5€!? There has to be a reason wh-...

DRM: Games for Windows Live.

Sorry mates! I'm not supporting devs who still support Games for Windows Live.
Pumpgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:42 AM   #6
Shaneluls39199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpgunner View Post
Hey, that acutally looks pretty awesome! And only 5€!? There has to be a reason wh-...

still support and currently support are 2 different things. if they could remake the game for steamworks. im 99% sure they would. at the time of making they chose GFWL (idk Y) but i dont think anyone really wants to support GFWL anymore

but im sure there aware of how much people hate it and will not buy because of it.but it is a very much awesome game. WORTH THE MONEY.
Shaneluls39199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:12 AM   #7
Jack Pipsam

Quote:

So you think it looks awesome and cheap but you won't get it because it doesn't use steamworks
Jack Pipsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:39 PM   #8
devo2

Quote:

Do you support developers that use a program that data mines your hard drive and sells it (BF3)

Or developers that provide virtually the same game year after year at full price while transitioning towards a pay-to-play online model (Activision)

If we were to cease to buy any game which had some feature that was either buggy, intrusive, or unnecessary, we would be left with Portal.

Edit: it would be great if through non-purchase of AAA titles we could force developers to not include this nonsense, but as long as theres a market they will continue to do these things. Little Johnny wants his new CoD and mommys gonna buy it for him so he doesnt cry

Last edited by devo2: 12-29-2011 at 12:41 PM.
devo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:48 AM   #9
Benedict9999

only failure this game had was the advertisement...

but this game is so good
Benedict9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:12 AM   #10
RainmakerNL

Agreed, this game is mad fun. Well worth the $2,81 if you buy the 4 pack with all DLC
RainmakerNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 08:47 AM   #11
yasokhuul

the spawn system is kinda the coolest I've ever seen.
yasokhuul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:14 PM   #12
Skaruts

I agree with OP. The only thing I hate is the slooooowwww movement, not having a ingame fov option, few grafics options, and a few movement things that recent games have brought that in my opinion sacrifice friendly gameplay to supposedly favor realism (which, of course, is bad), like not being able to strafe while running - or not being able to run in other directions other than forward, if you will - which actualy isn't very realistic anyway. I have a few problems with mouse movement while on vehicles too.

Other than a few senseless features and problems such as that, the game is actualy quite fun and inventive. I'm a bit impressed, even tho I'm totaly fed up with futuristic stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yasokhuul View Post
the spawn system is kinda the coolest I've ever seen.
Probably inspired from the great classic MDK. At least it looks like it was. Which is great anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo2 View Post
Do you support developers that use a program that data mines your hard drive and sells it (BF3)

Or developers that provide virtually the same game year after year at full price while transitioning towards a pay-to-play online model (Activision)

If we were to cease to buy any game which had some feature that was either buggy, intrusive, or unnecessary, we would be left with Portal.

Edit: it would be great if through non-purchase of AAA titles we could force developers to not include this nonsense, but as long as theres a market they will continue to do these things. Little Johnny wants his new CoD and mommys gonna buy it for him so he doesnt cry
That. After COD2 I commited the mistake of buying WaW on a weakend promotion... My goodness, what I have done...
Never bought a BF game, never bought any MW, and never will.

To be honest I kinda stopped buying AAA titles at all. I prefer to buy Penumbras and Frozen Synapses and S8s. At least I don't lose so much money if I'm disappointed (tho usualy I'm not, while with AAA titles I usualy am).

Btw, I hope in your allusion to portal that you aren't generalizing it to include portal 2. If you are I kinda have to disagree a bit, since P2, while being great at stuff we can always expect Valve games to be (voice acting, scripted events, storyline, etc), it's the biggest boring repetitive consolization F up ever from valve...

Last edited by Skaruts: 01-02-2012 at 04:33 PM.
Skaruts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:39 AM   #13
MoonshineFox

Finally a post I agree with. This game is absolutely stellar, if you ignore GFWL.
MoonshineFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:58 PM   #14
Emberstrife

I agree. I have been gifted this game roughly a month ago and have been enjoying it ever since.

It's a class-based objective-driven FPS game, where the objectives are dynamically generated and you can make your own class from the ground up, combining any strengths and weaknesses you wish. The game is as close to the original Tribes class customization system as you can possibly get.

GFWL handles the multiplayer login system and tracks your stats. Besides the small self-closing login popup on launch and the botched voice chat, you won't even notice it's there. The complexity and level of polish in this game is fantastic if you consider that Timegate is an indie studio, and unlike the original Section 8, Prejudice was self-published.

One might ask, why did Timegate knowingly choose an extremely unpopular platform for multiplayer in this game? The answer may be simpler than you think.

The original Section 8 was released back in September 2009. At that time GFWL was rather common, even amongst critically acclaimed games(GTA4, Arkham Asylum, etc). Since the game has extensive stat tracking, it made perfect sense to use a common platform for statistics on both PC and X360 - GFW/Xbox Live. Since Section 8 Prejudice was also released for both PC and consoles, they had no choice but to use GFWL for servers/stat tracking - an indie studio can't just create and maintain two separate stats platforms at once.

There is no indication that Timegate still supports GFWL, nor that they supported it during Prejudice's development - they didn't really have a choice, and in the end GFWL caused them more problems than it was worth.

By not buying S8P you are not "sending a message" to the developers or the industry about GFWL. You are merely missing out on a unique multiplayer FPS, the likes of which you have not seen, and judging from where fps games are going, probably never will.

Last edited by Emberstrife: 02-10-2012 at 04:17 PM.
Emberstrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:39 PM   #15
Keaton Kitsune

I really like the games, both Section 8 and Section 8: Prejudice. Though I play Section 8 on PS3, and Prejudice on steam PC. My only complaint is humans are still too hard for me to fight, and the game is pathetic at unlocking through bots. I really want to be able to unlock stuff and level up normally through bots. I have never had a problem with GFWL, so it's never been a negative thing for me.

I'd say they're definitely worth buying, at least Prejudice.
Keaton Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Section 8 series