Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Oblivion, The Elder Scrolls IV

Old 12-29-2011, 07:01 AM   #1
Enad

Consistent Crash at start

So I've had Oblivion for awhile, but I wanted to get back into it for the Morroblivion Mod. Anyways, the game will ALWAYS crash a few seconds after making a new character or immediately after loading a game.

I don't know what it could be! It used to run, even with mods, just fine. Now I literally cannot start it. I don't want to install any mods, even ones that help stability because I figure the game should atleast start without mods for me to start adding mods.

I had a problem with Skyrim where it would crash on launch if I had the Sound Quality anything above CD Quality, I tried that...Doesn't seem to work..

Not even with the Oblivion Unofficial Patch does it work. Do you think it could be some sort of RAM issue? I have 8GB of RAM, I'm sure Oblivion is capped to 2GB, is there a mod that makes it Large Address Aware?

Does anyone have a solution or a tip??

Last edited by Enad: 12-29-2011 at 07:11 AM.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:22 AM   #2
ponyboy82

I guess to start, I would try deleting your Oblivion.ini. It will get recreated when you start Oblivion again. It should be in /%user dir%/My Games/Oblivion

You may also want to do the "verify game cache" option through Steam (I believe you right-click the game in your library and go into Properties).

Here is the 4GB patcher (from the sticky at the top of the forum:
Quote:
4GB Patcher http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php
If you have a 64bit operating system and more than 2GB of RAM, then you need to get this in order for the game to make the most of your RAM. It is scripted into the exe to use just a little under 1.9GB of your RAM. This patcher will tell the game to use all of your RAM, but, it will only work on a 64bit system.
ponyboy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:25 AM   #3
Enad

Okay I'll try deleting my ini

I did Verify Cache, and I did use that exact 4GB Patcher beforehand and still with no luck.

It crashes right after the little 'Tutorial' window pops up.

Edit: Just tried deleting the ini and launching. Still crashes, same place.

Also, I'm not really sure...but what if something is just really messed up with my Exe, if I buy the GOTY Deluxe version(I have have standard GOTY) do you think things would be different?
Enad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:52 AM   #4
ponyboy82

Ok, that stinks. Usually when it crashes like that it's because a resource is missing. You can also get crashes a lot because of the auto-saving. I guess another thing to try would be to disable all of the auto-save options. In the Oblivion game menu, I think they're in options -> general... they should be titled something like "Save on Rest", etc. Apparently the auto-save and quicksave functionality can be buggy.

By the way, if you haven't yet, you might want to go ahead and at least install the unofficial oblivion patch (see the sticky here or tesnexus.com).

Also, checkout this page for a lot of different crashes and solutions/workarounds: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Te...upport#Crashes
Old 12-29-2011, 09:14 AM   #5
Enad

Okay, I'll try disabling that, I do notice it crashes right after saying "Auto Saving" so might be the problem!

I do have the unofficial patch too.

I'll update this post with my results.

Edit: Damn, tried it without any of the auto saves on, still crashed..

You don't thinking buying the other version of Oblivion will make a difference?
Old 12-29-2011, 09:30 AM   #6
ponyboy82

Darn. I'll try to see if I can find anything else. If you haven't, check out that UESP link I posted as well.

I really doubt the Deluxe version will help. Afaik, it's just the regular GOTY with some extra DLC-type extras packed in. The core game should be the same. (You can try it, but I'd hate to have you waste the money)
Old 12-29-2011, 10:12 AM   #7
Enad

I didn't see much in the UESP page that would look like it would help..

It's so weird because It worked for me before, but I will say that in that time period of not playing I got a new speaker system and Sound Card, could this have something to do with the crashes?
Old 12-29-2011, 10:20 AM   #8
ponyboy82

Hmm, it's entirely possible. I just ran across this today:
http://www.thenexusforums.com/index....6#entry4174756
Maybe try the part about the ac3filter/codec

I've been investigating crashes because I keep getting CTD's, but it's usually after playing for a while
Old 12-30-2011, 09:25 AM   #9
Enad

What and where is the ac3filter or codec?

I did try lowering my Audio Quality down to CD Quality(The lowest) initially because I remember Skyrim had that problem on launch.

Edit: So I installed this ac3filter thing and it lasted about 5 seconds longer before crashing..

I'm seriously clueless, how could the game be this reluctant to work.

Edit again: I saw in a post that someone edited something in the AC3filter config...would you happen to know what that is..?

Last edited by Enad: 12-30-2011 at 09:44 AM.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:10 PM   #10
nitefox98

You said it used to run, even with mods. Did you do a full uninstall/registry wipe with ccleaner, then reinstall? Are there still mods present just disabled?

Need more information.
nitefox98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 03:52 PM   #11
Enad

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitefox98 View Post
You said it used to run, even with mods. Did you do a full uninstall/registry wipe with ccleaner, then reinstall? Are there still mods present just disabled?

Need more information.
Yes, not too long ago(June this year) I was able to play it, with mods as well. I guess it was probably September when I tried launching it again only to have the same problem I'm having now, I just recently decided to post about it because I'd actually like to play it.

I didn't reinstall it in that time period. I have reinstalled it many times now trying to get it to work but still doesn't work. I could do a uninstall with CCleaner, I thought Steams uninstall process was pretty thorough though...

I've tried running it with the unnoficial patch, OBSE, and even done all the tweaks ponyboy has suggested.

I don't know what other information there is to give, I guess I could list my system specs.

GTX 580
i5 750
8GB DDR3
1TB HDD 7200rpm
Win 7 64bit

Anything else you need?
Old 12-30-2011, 08:46 PM   #12
nitefox98

How thoroughly did you clean/delete the oblivion folders and the mygames/oblivion folders? Simply deleting local content through steam won't remove obse/obge .ini files.

Reinstalling the game and/or obse would then still reference .dll's or .ini's that have inaccurate info.

If you are fairly sure you have clean .bsa files in the data folder, you can probably move those to a temp folder, uninstall through steam, manually delete all the contents of steam\......\oblivion, manually delete contents of \mygames\oblivion, then move the .bsa's back to steam\....\oblivion\data to save some downloading time on the reinstall.

Backup the Data folder after a clean reinstall for future screwups, and try running vanilla without obse or any mods.

Last edited by nitefox98: 12-30-2011 at 08:56 PM.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:55 PM   #13
Enad

Well I'll try a full reinstall, you say CCleaner will do that?

I dont really care how long it takes to reinstall its normally about 1 hour download.

Should I just delete everything? The whole My Games/Oblivion folder? Then do a full CCleaner uninstall?
Old 12-31-2011, 01:04 AM   #14
nitefox98

If you never manually deleted the mygames\oblivion or steam\oblivion folders before, then you still have OBSE .dll's and .ini's in both folders, as well as oblivion/data/obse. It's up to you if you want to simply search out those files and delete them, or wipe everything and start over.

I don't think you'll have to use CCleaner to wipe the registry unless you have tried everything else first.

Backing up the large .bsa's for voices and textures first and then copying them back into the folder will save you an hour or so of download time since some of them are 1gig each and it sounds like you've uninstalled/reinstalled enough that they should be clean, lol.

The largest ones are Oblivion\data\Oblivion - Meshes.bsa, Oblivion - Sounds.bsa, Oblivion - Textures Compressed.bsa, Oblivion - Voices 1+2.bsa. Ditto for the Shivering Isles BSA's.

Last edited by nitefox98: 12-31-2011 at 01:08 AM.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:59 PM   #15
Enad

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitefox98 View Post
If you never manually deleted the mygames\oblivion or steam\oblivion folders before, then you still have OBSE .dll's and .ini's in both folders, as well as oblivion/data/obse. It's up to you if you want to simply search out those files and delete them, or wipe everything and start over.

I don't think you'll have to use CCleaner to wipe the registry unless you have tried everything else first.

Backing up the large .bsa's for voices and textures first and then copying them back into the folder will save you an hour or so of download time since some of them are 1gig each and it sounds like you've uninstalled/reinstalled enough that they should be clean, lol.

The largest ones are Oblivion\data\Oblivion - Meshes.bsa, Oblivion - Sounds.bsa, Oblivion - Textures Compressed.bsa, Oblivion - Voices 1+2.bsa. Ditto for the Shivering Isles BSA's.

Did 2 clean reinstalls, deleted my whole My Games/Oblivion folder .
Still crashes at the same point. I really don't know what's wrong.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Oblivion, The Elder Scrolls IV