Bagel CB

Remedy, that was just cruel...

Were you even trying to be subtle here?

http://i.imgur.com/Oz4Sn.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/5zAaC.jpg
Old 02-19-2012, 07:05 PM   #2
bobsbarricades

? in game ads? i honestly could care less about that stuff

but holy MOLY you can DRIVE in this game?!?!!
bobsbarricades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:15 PM   #3
BSM

I never understood the complaints about advertising in games, especially the way Remedy did it in Wake.

During the game, Alan opens the game mentioning Stephen King's writing style, Nightingale calls Alan a series of real world writers, during the tutorial, Alan references the Shinning, during the later chapters, Alan references Rambo. All of those things are real. Whether it be the authors, the pop-culture references, energizer, or Verizon. They also did this in Max Payne (although, I only recall pop-culture references).

And if you didn't like the billboard, don't turn on the TV in the manor when you're leaving. You will freak out.
BSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:52 AM   #4
hughesyboozy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSM View Post
I never understood the complaints about advertising in games, especially the way Remedy did it in Wake.

During the game, Alan opens the game mentioning Stephen King's writing style, Nightingale calls Alan a series of real world writers, during the tutorial, Alan references the Shinning, during the later chapters, Alan references Rambo. All of those things are real. Whether it be the authors, the pop-culture references, energizer, or Verizon. They also did this in Max Payne (although, I only recall pop-culture references).

And if you didn't like the billboard, don't turn on the TV in the manor when you're leaving. You will freak out.
Neither have I..... some games go ott but things like billboards are fine but that one in the lodge is really bad and completely ruins the atmosphere.

Last edited by hughesyboozy: 02-20-2012 at 08:55 AM.
hughesyboozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:27 PM   #5
craziplaya21

Um, what is wrong with ingame ads?
craziplaya21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:31 PM   #6
Bagel CB

I know BSM, but those pop culture refs added to the story. Verizon has absolutely no need to be referenced in this game (along with Energizer).

The reason I show this part as an example is because this is the ONLY vehicle you can use in the area to progress, and you have to get it in. So avoiding this giant billboard is pretty much impossible unless you feel like walking the road the entire way.
Bagel CB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:58 PM   #7
legend80

Wow, your life must be constantly frustrating and sad. I'm sorry.
legend80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:00 PM   #8
Snagal

Whats wrong with Energizer?

You use batteries for the torch, it makes perfect sense in the context of the game.

Maybe they should have used Duracell?
Snagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:03 PM   #9
Dust-Off

At least they make sense and don't break the immersion.
Dust-Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:02 PM   #10
xenogias

I dont mind ingame adverts if they are done within the game world. What I mean by that is say if I'm playing Kingdoms of Amalur and I see that billboard then yea, its BS and doesnt need to be there.

However if I'm playing a "real world" type game...say this game, or resident evil....something thats set in a real world with fantasy then I'm fine with it. I find the giant anti-abortion billboard that I have to see everytime I turn on the highway more offensive than that in the screenshot. Not because I agree or disagree with it I just dont think it apropriate for the area its in.
xenogias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:14 AM   #11
MADDOGGE

I have never had any problems with product placement in movies, TV shows, or games. None of these ads detract from the game itself and they help add realism to the game with a recognizable products or services. Besides they also help to fund the games development. Lots of billboards and Bestbuy stores in NFS Underground 2.

The only thing I wouldn't like is if I had to watch a unskipable commercial before I could play my game or every so often my game stopped and I was forced to watch a commercial. Much as we are forced to do with cutscenes and on Youtube theses days before watching a video.
MADDOGGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:28 AM   #12
Berlot7

I don't really mind in-game ads if the developer chooses; however, it does seem a little cheap or smarmy to me.
Berlot7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:27 AM   #13
Loosifur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust-Off View Post
At least they make sense and don't break the immersion.
If there were Burger King wrappers laying around in Dead Space 2, I would be a little irritated, but personally I prefer seeing advertisements for real companies that are contemporary to the setting of the game, as opposed to seeing a billboard for "SuperPhone" or seeing cans of "Cola" laying around. Same as with phone numbers that have a 555 prefix. It immediately breaks the immersion.
Loosifur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:20 PM   #14
Borrachofunk69

Product placement makes games more realistic if nothing else. Batteries come in brands, right? I understand it must be a horrible shock to some of you, but in the outside world there is such a thing as Billboards, so I actually enjoyed looking at real world stuff in there, just because it made the experience that much more real to me.
Borrachofunk69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:51 AM   #15
Jeeds

I have no problem with ingame advertising in this game whatsoever. It's minimally used and actually makes it more realistic. I mean, you see advertising everywhere in reallife, so why not in (realistic) games? As long as you don't see a Verizon add in a medieval game, it's fine with me.
Jeeds is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Alan Wake