Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Beat Hazard

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 07:54 PM   #1
Schierke

Banned
So...

...when are we going to see fixes for the bugs in Beat Hazard?

Just curious.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:19 AM   #2
JupiterSWarrior

Mind telling us what bugs? 'Cause I can't find any...
Old 02-21-2012, 07:48 AM   #3
Schierke

Banned
There's a couple I have found so far.

-Hitboxes on asteroids are not even close to what they should be. I can be completely covered by an asteroid and not die. In addition, it is completely random as to whether a player will die if hit by the smallest asteroid piece. I've tested this, and sometimes I'll get hit from behind by an asteroid and it will be destroyed, and sometimes I will die. Hitboxes for some of the other enemies and enemy projectiles seem to be a bit off as well, but I have yet to confirm this.

-objects occupying the same space. I'm not referring to swarms of enemies, that's part of the way the game is, and I do enjoy that aspect. I'm referring to projectiles passing under asteroids/other enemies/powerups. It may have intended, but I honestly don't think so, considering that it's impossible to dodge something you can't see. I've racked up more than a few deaths this way. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but the projectiles should be visible over what they're passing through, not under.

-Probably the biggest problem I have encountered that I cannot believe was intended was minimum laser power for slower parts of songs. I understand that the intensity of the music dictates the strength of the laser, but does the minimum have to be so useless? It's incredibility frustrating to have your default weapon completely taken away, and I honestly believe it makes some songs much, much harder than they should be, and more than that, it's an incredibly un-fun game mechanic.

Finally, there are some songs that are unplayable, even on 50% visual, just because the visuals are still too strong to be able to see at that point. Maybe there could be a 0% option, with an additional score penalty?
Old 02-21-2012, 08:59 AM   #4
Wolfpig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schierke View Post
-Hitboxes on asteroids are not even close to what they should be. I can be completely covered by an asteroid and not die. In addition, it is completely random as to whether a player will die if hit by the smallest asteroid piece. I've tested this, and sometimes I'll get hit from behind by an asteroid and it will be destroyed, and sometimes I will die. Hitboxes for some of the other enemies and enemy projectiles seem to be a bit off as well, but I have yet to confirm this.
I would not call that a bug.
Besides hitboxes in Shmups ( i just throw Beat Hazard in it for now ) are not necessarily the same size as the thing they belong to

Quote:
-objects occupying the same space. I'm not referring to swarms of enemies, that's part of the way the game is, and I do enjoy that aspect. I'm referring to projectiles passing under asteroids/other enemies/powerups. It may have intended, but I honestly don't think so, considering that it's impossible to dodge something you can't see. I've racked up more than a few deaths this way. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but the projectiles should be visible over what they're passing through, not under.
Never noticed that......and i guess the most of players have not noticed it either......so it does not seem to be a problem for the most of the players...

Quote:
-Probably the biggest problem I have encountered that I cannot believe was intended was minimum laser power for slower parts of songs.

This was intended.....and you may have notices that the enemies are moving slower at such parts of the song.

Just play Beat Hazard Classic with such a song, and compare it to now.....

And so, you write in your title bugs, but you have not listed one single bug of the game, only stuff which someone may like or not....( or thinks can made better )
Old 02-21-2012, 09:27 AM   #5
Schierke

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpig View Post
I would not call that a bug.
Besides hitboxes in Shmups ( i just throw Beat Hazard in it for now ) are not necessarily the same size as the thing they belong to I would disagree. I do not believe it was intended for players to be able to 'ghost' into large asteroids and Bulldogs, and it was certainly not intended for the smallest asteroid pieces to have a random chance of killing you.

Never noticed that......and i guess the most of players have not noticed it either......so it does not seem to be a problem for the most of the players...That does not mean it's not a bug.

This was intended.....and you may have notices that the enemies are moving slower at such parts of the song. I am aware that the enemies move slower, but they are still spawning much, much faster than they can be killed. If you still believe this is not a bug, try playing a song that gives you a boss battle at zero laser power, particularly the double mini boss.

Just play Beat Hazard Classic with such a song, and compare it to now..... Just because it is not as broken as Classic, doesn't mean it is not broken.

And so, you write in your title bugs, but you have not listed one single bug of the game, only stuff which someone may like or not....( or thinks can made better )
I have indeed listed bugs, and you have chosen not to acknowledge them.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:38 PM   #6
Wolfpig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schierke View Post
I have indeed listed bugs, and you have chosen not to acknowledge them.
You know, people who try to annoy someone by using colors in their text are ones which could be easily ignored....but just for the fun of it

Quote:
This was intended.....and you may have notices that the enemies are moving slower at such parts of the song.

I am aware that the enemies move slower, but they are still spawning much, much faster than they can be killed. If you still believe this is not a bug, try playing a song that gives you a boss battle at zero laser power, particularly the double mini boss.
I own the game since its release, so i know the behavior of the laser.
And you know, the enemies may spawn at the same speed, but you can easily dodge them .....even the bosses which fire at a slower pace during that time.
Quote:
Just play Beat Hazard Classic with such a song, and compare it to now.....
Just because it is not as broken as Classic, doesn't mean it is not broken.
Classic = Enemies move as fast as before, and you have less laser
Ultra = you have less laser, enemies are slower

So, which part of that is broken?
But it was never intended to give the player the advantage to kill everything on the screen during quite passages ( really, that would be too easy ).

Quote:
Never noticed that......and i guess the most of players have not noticed it either......so it does not seem to be a problem for the most of the players...
That does not mean it's not a bug.
I have not written that that might not be a bug, but it seems so irrelevant to the most people which can handle that situation that it has never been said before.

And just in case you cant distinguish your writings in the quotes, they look like this here
Old 02-21-2012, 02:33 PM   #7
Schierke

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpig View Post
You know, people who try to annoy someone by using colors in their text are ones which could be easily ignored....but just for the fun of it I use colors to differentiate between my responses and your quotes.

I own the game since its release, so i know the behavior of the laser.
And you know, the enemies may spawn at the same speed, but you can easily dodge them .....even the bosses which fire at a slower pace during that time.I'm honestly doubting you have even played Beat Hazard at this point. If you have minimum or close to minimum laser for any significant length of time, you will be overwhelmed. I'm aware that the bosses fire less and more slowly, but when the song picks back up, you have a full health boss and a screen full of other enemies as well.

Classic = Enemies move as fast as before, and you have less laser
Ultra = you have less laser, enemies are slower

So, which part of that is broken? The less laser part. Normal Beat Hazard is just less broken, but it still denies you the tools needed to survive.
But it was never intended to give the player the advantage to kill everything on the screen during quite passages ( really, that would be too easy ).Did I ever say that the player should be able to kill everything on the screen? No. The player should simply not have their weapon rendered useless during quiet/slow parts.

I have not written that that might not be a bug, but it seems so irrelevant to the most people which can handle that situation that it has never been said before. Two words: Dare devil. More steroids = more hidden projectiles. Your sources for saying that most people can handle this situation are what?

And just in case you cant distinguish your writings in the quotes, they look like this here
I can distinguish fine, thanks.

My writing is from the perspective of someone who has actually played Beat Hazard.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:13 PM   #8
CtrlAltDestroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schierke
It's incredibility frustrating to have your default weapon completely taken away, and I honestly believe it makes some songs much, much harder than they should be, and more than that, it's an incredibly un-fun game mechanic.
You know... it's been all but proven, psychologically, that the fun in challenge comes from doing things which you perceive other people cannot handle, or would choose not to put up with.

Thus, your very act of complaining about the difficulty is making the game more fun for me. So I will not encourage you to stop complaining. However, for your own sake if you still cannot learn to aim properly, manage super bombs, or spend some time dodging asteroids without shooting (you even get bonus multipliers for doing this), you should be playing on an easier difficulty.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:24 PM   #9
Schierke

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDestroy View Post
You know... it's been all but proven, psychologically, that the fun in challenge comes from doing things which you perceive other people cannot handle, or would choose not to put up with.

Thus, your very act of complaining about the difficulty is making the game more fun for me. So I will not encourage you to stop complaining. However, for your own sake if you still cannot learn to aim properly, manage super bombs, or spend some time dodging asteroids without shooting (you even get bonus multipliers for doing this), you should be playing on an easier difficulty.
I'm not complaining about the difficulty. I'm complaining about incredibly un-fun and broken game mechanics.

Edit: Don't condescend me. I am well aware of how beat Hazard works, and I would suggest you play on Insane or Suicidal difficulty if you don't understand what I'm talking about.

Last edited by Schierke: 02-22-2012 at 05:46 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:05 AM   #10
Starg

Cold Beam Games
As intended
Also, the one track that was given as an example of 'impossible' was then completed by another player.
Impossible for one doesn't mean impossible for all.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:45 PM   #11
CtrlAltDestroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starg View Post
As intended
Also, the one track that was given as an example of 'impossible' was then completed by another player.
Impossible for one doesn't mean impossible for all.
That is the problem. Before, in the other thread, he called the songs "impossible". I proved they were not, and he admitted he was wrong and that the songs are indeed possible.

In this thread, he's changed his argument and is saying that the mechanics are "unfun" and must be fixed. At this point I'm really out of things to tell him.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:29 AM   #12
turkeyfiles

There are much more serious issues at stake. IOS users get the Gold Ship as IAP, but where do Steam users stand on this?
Old 02-24-2012, 12:39 PM   #13
kandrc

What is IAP? I have the Gold Ship on the PC version anyway, I completed whatever steam summer goal it was to get it :P

FWIW, I really don't view anything Schierke has sad to be issues, and all of his proposed "fixes" would really be making the game less fun than it is. (And I play on suicidial/200% all the time and never get bothered by the visuals...)

Honestly, TC, you come off as being very unfamiliar with the game and unwilling to accept that you just might want to play a lower difficulty than you are; or even that you are unwilling to learn, understand, and get used to the Beat Hazard mechanics.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:15 PM   #14
Schierke

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandrc View Post
What is IAP? I have the Gold Ship on the PC version anyway, I completed whatever steam summer goal it was to get it :P

FWIW, I really don't view anything Schierke has sad to be issues, and all of his proposed "fixes" would really be making the game less fun than it is. (And I play on suicidial/200% all the time and never get bothered by the visuals...)

Honestly, TC, you come off as being very unfamiliar with the game and unwilling to accept that you just might want to play a lower difficulty than you are; or even that you are unwilling to learn, understand, and get used to the Beat Hazard mechanics.
Normally the visuals at 200% aren't a problem, I agree.

But I do have songs where I flat out can't see even at 50%.

I will respectfully disagree with you on the fixes issue.

I have multiple songs where there's 5 minute+ stretches where my laser is at most, 50% power, and at least one song that is 13ish minutes, and 90% of it was half powered laser.

For the most part, these things aren't an issue.

They are nevertheless extremely frustrating and pointless when they do come up.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:41 PM   #15
turkeyfiles

IAP = In Application Purchase

iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch users can purchase the Gold Ship for .99 cents in the Appstore. I was wondering if we'll get the same option in Steam.

*Looks like a begging puppy at Starg*
Closed Thread

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Beat Hazard