Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 02-22-2012, 10:07 AM   #1
lightingft

Question Credit Card - Remove info Help

Hey guys, well, I'm new to this forum, but I came here with a question. Say, I have a credit card, and I want to buy something for another person, but is there anyway I can delete the payment info to avoid accidental purchases, or is there anyway to delete that credit card info? So there would be no way to find it? I really need help on this, and thanks in advance. Please don't flame.

~Lightingft.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:15 AM   #2
Satoru

Log into Steam via a browser. Click on your Steam name and select "Account Details" on the left there's a window with your steam wallet balance. Below it is any saved information. You can click "Delete" to remove it.

When you check out as well, you can disable the saving of cc information so it doesn't get saved.
Satoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:23 AM   #3
lightingft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satoru View Post
Log into Steam via a browser. Click on your Steam name and select "Account Details" on the left there's a window with your steam wallet balance. Below it is any saved information. You can click "Delete" to remove it.

When you check out as well, you can disable the saving of cc information so it doesn't get saved.
Thanks for the help, but if you do this there is no way it will be saved right?
lightingft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:43 AM   #4
Satoru

I do want to be clear on what happens

The deletion of the credit card information only deletes the information so that it is not reused for subsequent transactions as a convenience to the user. That's all.

Every cc transaction you do on steam will ask you if you want to 'save' the cc information. If you forget to uncheck that (I don't recall if it's checked by default or not) then the information will be saved. Then you'll have to go back and delete it again.

It is entirely possible that the cc information is still saved somewhere else for tracking purposes, since Steam does ask for some cc information when users try to recover lost accounts. It also does not preclude them doing something silly like saving everything on a flat unencrypted text file on the web server. Though given the high profile security breach, that's unlikely, but not impossible by any means.

I just want to make it clear since I'm not sure if you're into the whole paranoid "I wan't my cc information saved anywhere!!" kind of thing. Thus 'saved' can really mean something entirely different.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:54 AM   #5
lightingft

Quote:
I do want to be clear on what happens

The deletion of the credit card information only deletes the information so that it is not reused for subsequent transactions as a convenience to the user. That's all.

Every cc transaction you do on steam will ask you if you want to 'save' the cc information. If you forget to uncheck that (I don't recall if it's checked by default or not) then the information will be saved. Then you'll have to go back and delete it again.

It is entirely possible that the cc information is still saved somewhere else for tracking purposes, since Steam does ask for some cc information when users try to recover lost accounts. It also does not preclude them doing something silly like saving everything on a flat unencrypted text file on the web server. Though given the high profile security breach, that's unlikely, but not impossible by any means.

I just want to make it clear since I'm not sure if you're into the whole paranoid "I wan't my cc information saved anywhere!!" kind of thing. Thus 'saved' can really mean something entirely different.
Alright, thanks, what I wanted to ask is can the user still use the card without entering any keys for the credit card, but this pretty much answered my question tho. Thank you for the help, but I need someone to clear this up for me a little, without entering my keys and deleting info without saving credit card, there is no way to make a transfer from the cc without entering keys right?

Last edited by lightingft: 02-22-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:37 AM   #6
lightingft

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightingft View Post
Alright, thanks, what I wanted to ask is can the user still use the card without entering any keys for the credit card, but this pretty much answered my question tho. Thank you for the help, but I need someone to clear this up for me a little, without entering my keys and deleting info without saving credit card, there is no way to make a transfer from the cc without entering keys right?
Sorry for the double post, but I need this very fast, could anyone clear it up for me in short? So I would 100% be sure?
Old 02-23-2012, 08:27 AM   #7
Satoru

I'm not sure what you mean by 'entering keys' which is confusing

If you're worried, use your credit card, and pay attention during check out. There will be a box to 'save your credit card information for future purchases'. Make sure when you check out this box is unchecked. Proceed with the check out.

As a final check, look in your account like I outlined previously to see if any credit card information is saved to your account. If it's not then you'll be fine as any future purchases would require someone to manually enter new credit card information again.

I'm not really sure what you're asking about or worried about but I hope that answers your question.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:18 PM   #8
lightingft

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean by 'entering keys' which is confusing

If you're worried, use your credit card, and pay attention during check out. There will be a box to 'save your credit card information for future purchases'. Make sure when you check out this box is unchecked. Proceed with the check out.

As a final check, look in your account like I outlined previously to see if any credit card information is saved to your account. If it's not then you'll be fine as any future purchases would require someone to manually enter new credit card information again.

I'm not really sure what you're asking about or worried about but I hope that answers your question.
Thanks, that helped. What I meant by keys, is cc info, like number, security code, postal code and so on but you answered my question. Thanks to you, whenever I get a chance, I will add +rep. My rank is too low right now.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:39 AM   #9
mspacapan

Banned
Steam saves some credit card info so you can verify you're the card owner if your account would be hacked.
Nobody can access it and you have nothing to worry.
Be sure to have a strong password and have Steam Guard enabled.

Cheers
mspacapan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips