Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dear Esther

Old 02-24-2012, 06:58 AM   #1
diontjuhz

How old?

I was wondering, how old are the people that played Dear Esther, and liked it!?

Myself, I am 18 years old.

I liked the game/experience, and I was slightly intrigued by the story. However it was a little too vague or hard for me to understand it or make any ideas about the story.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:32 AM   #2
FrostyTheUnbald

Quote:
Originally Posted by diontjuhz View Post
I was wondering, how old are the people that played Dear Esther, and liked it!?

Myself, I am 18 years old.

I liked the game/experience, and I was slightly intrigued by the story. However it was a little too vague or hard for me to understand it or make any ideas about the story.
It's not your age that makes it too vague or hard for you. That was by design. The idea was to make a compelling experience but to also make it impossible to form any absolute conclusions about it. Check it out:

http://www.thechineseroom.co.uk/Pinc...ytelling08.pdf

Last edited by FrostyTheUnbald: 02-24-2012 at 08:35 AM.
FrostyTheUnbald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:56 AM   #3
DPW

Well, I'm twice your age, but I don't think that has much to do with liking or "getting" DE. When I was 20, my wife (then girlfriend) introduced me to Italo Calvino's books (If On Winters Night A Traveler, etc). Surreal, non-linear narratives, but beautiful and often quite funny.

I'm not sure a typical 12 year old would enjoy DE, but then again, there's a significant minority of bookish kids who just might.
DPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:31 AM   #4
LaLaLaLaLemon

I'm 41 (and female) and I loved it, but I'm a sap.
LaLaLaLaLemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:50 AM   #5
mellowtraumatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLaLaLemon View Post
I'm 41 (and female) and I loved it, but I'm a sap.
This post describes me to a T.
mellowtraumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:33 PM   #6
notdeadyet01

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPW View Post
Well, I'm twice your age, but I don't think that has much to do with liking or "getting" DE. When I was 20, my wife (then girlfriend) introduced me to Italo Calvino's books (If On Winters Night A Traveler, etc). Surreal, non-linear narratives, but beautiful and often quite funny.

I'm not sure a typical 12 year old would enjoy DE, but then again, there's a significant minority of bookish kids who just might.
My little bro liked it, he is 12, this is coming from a kid that plays CoD most of the time.

I liked the mod when it came out at 16
notdeadyet01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:57 AM   #7
dxaniz

I'm 16 and i loved it.

I showed the mod to a friend when we where 15 and he loved it too.
dxaniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:42 AM   #8
SuperfriedFish

I am 16, I showed it to my friend, who is 17, and we both loved it. We couldn't help ourselves from constantly questioning its meanings.
SuperfriedFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:16 AM   #9
Boff

34 wept openly when i played the mod at 32.
Married and kids
Boff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:52 AM   #10
envirovore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boff View Post
34 wept openly when i played the mod at 32.
Married and kids
34 next month, and teared up at the end as well.
envirovore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:24 AM   #11
phil0sophy2002

27 and enjoyed it very much and so did my wife.
phil0sophy2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:51 PM   #12
RedReversed

I'm actually only 14, and I liked it.
I recommended it to my friend and he seemed to like it too but I don't think much other people my age would like it , or maybe they just wouldn't give it a chance.
RedReversed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:15 PM   #13
FrostyTheUnbald

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedReversed View Post
I'm actually only 14, and I liked it.
I recommended it to my friend and he seemed to like it too but I don't think much other people my age would like it , or maybe they just wouldn't give it a chance.
I think that it's your last description of the lack of a patient mind set that will define a negative opinion regardless of any persons age.

When I was about 10 years old I would lay under my bed with my cat's whisker crystal radio set clipped to my wire bed springs and listen to the babble of of what seemed like hundreds of far away radio stations that were all just barely in tune so that voices and music were all in a jumble with each other and only occasionally comprehensible. With the right patient mind set I was transported to another universe beyond any natural physical reality. I loved that place. I am transported there again every time I hear the radio signals in Dear Esther.

When I was about 13 my Boy Scout troop climbed all day to reach a high mountain camp site with a long view of a great valley below where we could see tiny houses and roads. Upon suddenly seeing that view for the first time I was moved to tears by the sudden realization of how pathetically small and trivial all of our mundane activities were and yet how desperately we were all forced to pursue them when "down below." Although I have almost never thought of that experience since then, I am transported back to that place by the dialogue and vistas of Dear Esther every time I run through it now.

I believe that anyone of just about any age is filled with "peak" experiences that this electronic ink spot can deliver to consciousness for a fresh evaluation if they will put on the head phones, relax and give their full attention to the experience.

Or not, I can see that too. I think that it's all about mind set, patience and mindfulness.

I have been replaying the old mod again in the last few days to relive what I remembered as very moving and today I bought and spent a full two hours in my first play-through with the new game. For me it is nothing less than a perfection of the first attempt at immersing the player in a contemplation of the meaning and origin of their own mental perceptions and the nature of language and it's mere approximation of reality.

Last edited by FrostyTheUnbald: 02-24-2012 at 09:19 PM.
FrostyTheUnbald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:10 PM   #14
Ratone

25 and didn't enjoy it that much.
Ratone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:18 PM   #15
Chanchibe

20 years old. Best ten bucks I have spent in 2012 (so far)
Chanchibe is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dear Esther