Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Oblivion, The Elder Scrolls IV

Old 02-24-2012, 05:46 PM   #1
Valhuen

Main Quest Done....Now What?

55 hours into the game the last few weeks, main quest done, Level 30, now awaiting my Dragon Armor while slogging through a few more dungeons. It has gotten pretty repetitive now, though I keep going back for more.

Can always head to the Shivering Isles I guess, is it any good?

Will grab Skyrim soon enough if nothing else.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:18 PM   #2
dibarra2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhuen View Post
55 hours into the game the last few weeks, main quest done, Level 30, now awaiting my Dragon Armor while slogging through a few more dungeons. It has gotten pretty repetitive now, though I keep going back for more.

Can always head to the Shivering Isles I guess, is it any good?

Will grab Skyrim soon enough if nothing else.
Shivering Isles main quest is good. Have you tried Fighters Guild, Mages Guild, Thieves Guild, or the Dark Brotherhood?
dibarra2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:10 PM   #3
Valhuen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dibarra2004 View Post
Shivering Isles main quest is good. Have you tried Fighters Guild, Mages Guild, Thieves Guild, or the Dark Brotherhood?
Yep, been down the guild routes, though am focusing on a "Lawful" character ATM (playing a Knight). Would like to give the game another go as an evil assassin/vamp, but honestly don't know how the game would be in that role. Anyone played through as an evil character? Was in enjoyable or limiting? Following the main quest would seem out of place given that role.

Will give Shivering Isles a look.
Valhuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:54 AM   #4
iiShawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhuen View Post
Yep, been down the guild routes, though am focusing on a "Lawful" character ATM (playing a Knight). Would like to give the game another go as an evil assassin/vamp, but honestly don't know how the game would be in that role. Anyone played through as an evil character? Was in enjoyable or limiting? Following the main quest would seem out of place given that role.

Will give Shivering Isles a look.
Being evil will put a new light to the game, and its the most fun (;

I've heard Shivering Isles is amazing. Go at it.
iiShawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:08 AM   #5
waggywags

Warning: Potential Spoilers for Main Quest.

@OP, it made perfect sense for my evil character to stop Dagon from, you know, creating chaos everywhere. Can't have a world where everybody's too busy fighting and dying to make money, and my poor Dark Brotherhood can't handle the threat while it tries to recover from what happened. Not to mention that the beggars would die, and thus the Gray Fox would be sad.

But yeah, Shivering Isles is fun. One quest is particularly memorable, for the sadistic among us.
waggywags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:28 AM   #6
McDrewbs

Being good is overrated when the best quest line is the Dark Brotherhood, the best quest in the entire game is the one called "Whodunit?".
So be evil and have fun.

Anyway, [Dark Brotherhood spoiler below]
Spoiler:

Considering the ending of the Dark Brotherhood's quest line, technically you are a good person, you inadvertently help kill off pretty much everyone in the guild lol, it's as "good" as an ending you could have ever dreamt of for such and "evil" guild lol

McDrewbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:29 PM   #7
JC _Phoenix

Quest mods? A lot of them are far better than the vanilla quests:

GENERIC:
I ask some questions in the below text as a small guide line for finding mods you might want. You can answer them if you wish. Also a list of my favorite quests and such:

Quote:

Lists and resources for finding many popular mods, and some good mods:
(note the distinction between the two, don't just follow mindless peer pressure, try and make your own opinions and find what you'll like)

List of lists:
http://forums.bethso...owtopic=1010109
Top 100
http://www.tesnexus....top/alltime.php
Files of the months:
http://www.tesnexus....softhemonth.php
Hall of fame:
http://planeteldersc...blivionmods.HOF
Categories, Tag search, advanced search

General help in terms of installing, utilities, workshops, etc.:

TESCOSI
Oblivion mod wiki
TES Alliance (Check The Enclave forum, the Oblivion forum, or the Voice actor forum depending on your pursuits)
Bethsoft forums-Oblivion: (Hardware/software for non mod related issues, Mods for mod users, Construction set for making mods.)

List of topics exactly like yours generic pleadings for "Any mods?" that have already been answered:
http://forums.bethso...list-of-topics/
Read the AZERessential topics to get the basic "get wryebash, OBMM, OBSE, start slow" basic advice for starters recommendations

If you want any further help I suggest you tell us about yourself; what you like and what you're looking for... Here's some questions to get you started:

Have you played Oblivion already?
What sort of things interest you?
What type of Character do you usually play? (good/evil, theif/mage, roleplayer/random-no-story-hack-and-slasher?)
Are there specific types of mods you think would interest you? (Quests, graphic mods, gameplay mods, overhauls, etc.)
When did you leave?
What did you not like about Oblivion? What did Oblivion not have or need more of?
Male or female character?

For the occasional "What are your must haves?"
Quote:
Mostly quest mods: http://kno.li/i

My favorite quests are:
Integration (my most favorite)
Malevolent, Runied tail, Tears of the fiend
Windfall
The Blackwood company
Dremora Companion
Servant of the Dawn
Imperial Legion Faction

[b]Gameplay mods:

Hear No Evil
Vector
Crime Has Witnesses
Audacious Magery
Conduit magic
Custom spell Icons
Training cattle
Keychain
Refscope(good for troubleshooting)
Vows and Covenants
Pluke's roleplaying persuasion
LAME (Needed for Integration)
RBP (Needed for Integration)

I'm mostly a quest mod player and I recently posted a big rundown for most of them that I've played here and here.

(Some of these are probably outdated by now)
S'lider's Copy/paste
SkyRanger-1's
Pseron Wyrd's top 10 (Don't really want a lot top 10's or simple lists but I'm desperate for copy/pastes at the moment)
Tommy H's

Last edited by JC _Phoenix: 02-26-2012 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Spoiler tags removal
JC _Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:35 PM   #8
Valhuen

Just wished to thank everyone for contributing suggestions, and to JC-Phoenix for taking the time to list the various mods. In the middle of the Shattered Isles quest now, nice change of pace. Oblivion is hands down one of the best games I have played in years, should have gotten to it much sooner.....
Valhuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:14 PM   #9
kitekrazy

After finishing the main quest plus the others mention, I can't save without a crash.
kitekrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:29 AM   #10
ponyboy82

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitekrazy View Post
After finishing the main quest plus the others mention, I can't save without a crash.
Does the save complete, then the crash happens? If so, you might want to try using the mod FastExit (http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=22410). There are also a few other tweaks, etc, to try, but this seems to help for a lot of people (myself included).
ponyboy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:54 PM   #11
kitekrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy82 View Post
Does the save complete, then the crash happens? If so, you might want to try using the mod FastExit (http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=22410). There are also a few other tweaks, etc, to try, but this seems to help for a lot of people (myself included).
No it doesn't. The save will then become corrupt. I'm in the Dunbarrow cave and it seems I will be stuck there. I can't save or advance time without a crash. When I exit the cave it crashes. Any auto save, guicksave or menu save creates a crash. All saves become corrupt from that point.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:37 AM   #12
McDrewbs

Can you load from a save that is from before entering Dunbarrow cave?
Old 03-01-2012, 05:32 AM   #13
kitekrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDrewbs View Post
Can you load from a save that is from before entering Dunbarrow cave?
If I did it would take me way back in the game. The only quest I have left is wating two weeks for the dragon armor. Is it worth finishing for that?
Old 03-01-2012, 05:55 AM   #14
ponyboy82

It might be helpful to start up another thread for this....

Have you added or removed any mods? Do you have the Unofficial Patch installed? It might be helpful to check your event viewer in windows and see what it lists as the cause of the crash. I'm not sure if there's a good way to "fix" a corrupt save file (I had to abandon one myself recently), but undoing any recent changes would be a start. Also, I'm not sure if it would help, but I just installed Streamline, and it has an option to purge unused cell info on save.
ponyboy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:56 AM   #15
McDrewbs

Is the save you are currently using the auto-save?
(I assume that that you have had to restart oblivion at some point so must be able to load the save in Dunbarrow). Have you tried creating a new save file? I only ask about loading an old save because I wondered if it's the save itself or Dunbarrow cave causing the crash.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Oblivion, The Elder Scrolls IV