Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Railroad Tycoon

Old 03-06-2012, 10:15 PM   #1
Malakie

Railroad Tycoon 3 IS compatible with Vista & Windows 7. Instructions follow...

Hi all,

I noticed on the STEAM page for this game as well as in the threads that many people seem to think RT3 is not runnable on Windows Vista or Windows 7. I am here to tell you that it is. Just follow these easy instructions and you will be running in no time.

After you do a FULL install of the game, you need to download and install these updates in this order:

1) Coast to Coast expansion
2) RT3_105 patch
3) RT3_106 Patch unofficial
4) RT3 105_106 Vista/Win7 Patch

When you get into the game, make sure the 'disable hardware T&L option is checked. Do NOT UNCHECK it or the game will not run.

Once completed you can install any other mods or files you want.

The game works perfectly fine in Vista and Win7 if you follow those instructions.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:56 PM   #2
ajak60

tried doing this, but get an error saying "wrong disk insterted"

followed these steps exactly.

Any advise?
ajak60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:37 PM   #3
Malakie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajak60 View Post
tried doing this, but get an error saying "wrong disk insterted"

followed these steps exactly.

Any advise?

At what point are you getting the error? And are you using a copy of the CD's or original?
Malakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:57 PM   #4
ajak60

bought the game off of steam earlier today, and had compatability issues. found your post, then hunted down the patches as mentioned in the first post.

getting errors at that point there
Old 03-09-2012, 10:26 AM   #5
Petran79

I have the same issue.

Only version 1.05 of gamecopyworld works since it bypasses CD protection.

at least it works now. I can do without 1.06
Petran79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:43 PM   #6
schizrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petran79 View Post
I have the same issue.

Only version 1.05 of gamecopyworld works since it bypasses CD protection.

at least it works now. I can do without 1.06
This works. One of my all time favorite games.
schizrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:26 AM   #7
quixoticduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakie View Post
Hi all,

I noticed on the STEAM page for this game as well as in the threads that many people seem to think RT3 is not runnable on Windows Vista or Windows 7. I am here to tell you that it is. Just follow these easy instructions and you will be running in no time.

After you do a FULL install of the game, you need to download and install these updates in this order:

1) Coast to Coast expansion
2) RT3_105 patch
3) RT3_106 Patch unofficial
4) RT3 105_106 Vista/Win7 Patch

When you get into the game, make sure the 'disable hardware T&L option is checked. Do NOT UNCHECK it or the game will not run.

Once completed you can install any other mods or files you want.

The game works perfectly fine in Vista and Win7 if you follow those instructions.
The CtC expansion download failed and I had to download again and in the confusion I think I installed the 105 patch before this. Anyone know how to uninstall it?

Edit: Ok there were two rt3 folders in program files so I deleted the one outside of the steam folder. I think that was the new patched one.

Last edited by quixoticduck: 03-12-2012 at 11:28 AM.
quixoticduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:05 PM   #8
quixoticduck

Nope. I assume I installed the first two correctly but doesn't work. That's what I get for waiting months and months checking everything on my brother's computer before upgrading. The main game I cared about won't work. Wow. It works on his w/o doing anything and he doesn't even like the game.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:08 PM   #9
quixoticduck

When I try and run it in compatability mode from the desktop it says I'm missing mss32.dll
>.<
Anyone tried Xp mode (as in the virtual thingy)
anyone found the latter two files online anywhere and will they help?

Edit:

Found them. Added them. Did EVERYTHING as said here and still no luck. Sorry for all my posts but this is ridiculous. What is so wrong with my brand new Windows that other peoples are not? =[

Last edited by quixoticduck: 03-12-2012 at 12:15 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:42 AM   #10
ajak60

ive also attempted in XP virtual with no luck

the last 2 files didnt seem that hard to find for me, quick google search took care of them. (found them on the same site actually).

and do agree with you about the
Quote:
'disable hardware T&L option is checked
part. cannot find this anywhere.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:08 AM   #11
quixoticduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajak60 View Post
ive also attempted in XP virtual with no luck

the last 2 files didnt seem that hard to find for me, quick google search took care of them. (found them on the same site actually).

and do agree with you about the part. cannot find this anywhere.
Yeah I found them in the end thanks but they didn't come up with a google search for me. I ended up coming across them on a search result for the expansion.

Perhaps I'll try out this thread. http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...d.php?t=977808

And virtual XP I haven't tried yet. I thought you actually run it as a virtual console. If that doesn't work then I feel pretty tricked as the game SHOULD work in XP. I specifically made sure the windows upgrade I bought had XP mode.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:39 AM   #12
quixoticduck

Is there some special way we're supposed to be installing these patches because in the other thread they talk of renaming them.

Edit. NO. Not needed!

YAYYYYYYYYYY. I fixed it. Here's how.

- Deleted everything RT3 from my computer. Deleted local content from Steam. Started from scratch.

- Downloaded all the patches etc from Hawk and Badger because I know those work. (NOTE- In the end I only used the last file, the one under the cartoon waving hand named 'Vista fix' (despite me having Windows 7), because it's all I actually needed.

- Found correct folder after AGES of searching (hate the w7 explorer/file tree). =[

This turned out to be (C>PROGRAM FILES>STEAM>STEAMAPPS>COMMON>RAILROAD TYCOON 3

See in my previous attempt I had installed the patches which had created their own folders in program files separate from Steam. I had been transferring the Vista/7 fix into that wrongly.

I IGNORED all of the patches except the vista/7 fix, which if you open it is only one little file named engine.cfg (along with a readme file explaining what the file is/does.) You take the file and transfer it into (C>PROGRAM FILES>STEAM>STEAMAPPS>COMMON>RAILROAD TYCOON 3>DATA>CONFIGURATION and let it replace the current engine.cfg file. BINGO! This will change one of the in game settings (the one which was causing all the crashing before you could manually change it in game).

Seems to be working. =]

Mayhaps I will try the patches as well because they add content, but seriously, all I needed to fix it was that one little file, and to copy it to the correct folder!

I know much of this/all of this has been explained before but I thought I'd explain my problems so people who made my mistakes might be helped. Also because this is the easiest way to do it imo. Perhaps it wasn't an option before (or Steam altered something) hence the longer more confusing versions.

Maybe I'll copy my saved games into the saved games folder to get them back. =]

I think I'll duplicate my current RT3 folder as a safety backup though!

Last edited by quixoticduck: 03-13-2012 at 08:29 AM.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:25 AM   #13
quixoticduck

Ok I just noticed that the main menu says 'Coast to Coast'. So I guess I didn't manage to wipe that entirely and it's still installed. That's fine. I don't think it contributed to the fix since RT3 only worked right after I added the Vista/7 fix. Still I guess I can't know for certain.

I think the TL;DR of the fix is:

Scroll down this page until you see a link named 'Vista Fix' under a cartoon waving hand. This contains a file named engine.cfg which should be copied into (C)>PROGRAM FILES>STEAM>STEAMAPPS>COMMON>RAILROAD TYCOON 3>DATA>CONFIGURATION (let it replace the current engine.cfg file).

DONE. (Unless Coast to Coast was partly responsible).

Last edited by quixoticduck: 03-13-2012 at 08:29 AM.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:03 PM   #14
KevB

RRT3 on Vista

Thanks to clues from Malakie and the great Hawk & Badger Site this is really pretty easy. From the steam download ( which ends up in Program Files (x86) / Steam / steamapps / common /Railroad Tycoon 3 ) you need to replace the engine engine.cfg file that's in the /Data/Configuration directory in the install directory. You can get the engine.cfg file from http://hawkdawg.com/rrt/rrt3/rrt3.htm under the waving cartoon labeled 'Vista Fix'.

Just replace the engine.cfg file and it should be good. When I tried to install patches I kept getting 'wrong disk' messages, but replacing the single file from a clean install works. It looks like the steam version has the coast-to-coast and 1.05 patches already installed. I haven't tried installing the 1.06 patch yet, as I fear it will break it (any brave souls?).

Easy - replace the single 'engine.cfg' file.

Last edited by KevB: 03-13-2012 at 02:04 PM. Reason: fix label
KevB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:00 PM   #15
quixoticduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixoticduck View Post
Can't create output file??? Thought I'd finally found a working version of Coast to Coast. Urgh this sucks. Maybe I can trash W7 somehow.
Aha. Ran them as admin and they unzipped this time. *Hopes.*

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Railroad Tycoon