Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Mass Effect series

Old 03-07-2012, 05:37 AM   #1
mister_moges

i actually LIKE EA

and i don't understand why so many people hate them. because they're a large company? because they make a lot of money? over the years EA has made some of my favorite games, and they continue to do so. because of this, i have no reason not to keep buying their games, and as far as origin goes, yeah it's not nearly as good as steam but it works. besides, what's wrong with a company wanting to sell their games themselves and make more money? that's just good business.

i've noticed that gamers seem to have this sense of entitlement now, and expect game companies to do exactly what they want all the time. i can remember a time when pc gamers were just happy to have games to play at all, and if a crappy game was released people just didn't buy it. simple as that. ME3 is a perfect example of this, people get all butthurt that it didn't end the way THEY wanted it to, etc. etc. and proceed to give it a 0/10 on metacritic without even playing it or at least finishing it because they think they're "stickin' it to the man" or whatever. well guess what: you're not. you're just depriving yourself of a really fun game over your misplaced principles and sense of entitlement.

so anyway, back to my point: what did EA do to deserve all this hatred? i'm not trying to start an argument, i'm just genuinely curious why people seem to love bashing EA. did i miss something?
Old 03-07-2012, 07:32 AM   #2
Evod

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_Arts

I would look in this and check the criticism section.

My beef with EA/bioware lets see... I think it started with KOTOR being made into a mmorpg but that was just something that ticked me off a little.Played the rushed out expansions and DLCs for dragons age I was disappointed in those. I waited before buying DA2 and heard all the negative reviews so I did some research on EA. Heard EA basically rots everything it touches on the inside till theres nothing left. Heard ST:TOR wanted to "innovate" the mmorpg by adding the story pillar and I asked myself "Do they really think most people are playing mmorpg for story?".

Make a long story short some of the desions and cash grabs made by Bioware seemed forced and I blame EA for this.

*edit* Actually it started with spore. It had so much potential than to be the turd it came out as.

Last edited by Evod: 03-07-2012 at 07:35 AM.
Evod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:41 AM   #3
ParadoxSalem

Hang on a tick, I posted something in another forum that explains this perfectly..

Where did I.. Oh, there it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadoxSalem View Post
That's not the reason people see EA as evil.

Origin Systems. Bullfrog Studios. Westwood Studios. Running several franchises into the dirt, such as Command & Conquer, Ultima, and Rock Band. Attempted hostile takeovers of other publishers (Ubisoft and 2K). Requiring 100 hour workweeks with no paid overtime of their employees (and not even during "crunch" times). Accusations of anti-trust violations regarding their NFL titles. The Spore Rootkit. Discriminatory and offensive marketing practices. See sources 54 through 98 on the Wiki article for EA.
This is why the fact that it's EA asking these things bothers me.

I would also add to that list:

Resurrecting Battlefield and using it to pimp Origin solely because they wanted the Modern Warfare market.

Scrapping plans for a third KOTOR to make it an MMO because they wanted the World of Warcraft market.
ParadoxSalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:20 AM   #4
lazy6pyro

On the EA spouse, it's a fair point that there were numerous studios like that, it's that only EA got caught with the hand in the cookie jar.

Abuse of crunch time is a well known skeleton in games industry, but the one good thing about the EA spouse aftermath is that there was an industry-wide shake-up in terms of quality of life. It still goes on, but it is less than before. However, one of EA's major issues was that they brought in a boat-load of middle managers without game-dev experience on their internal teams. Then they also made the really good developers fearful of being replaced, and EA actually lost a number of really good developers that way (take Dustin Bowder SC II lead or the guys who formed Infinity Ward). EA turn-over was high.

Last edited by lazy6pyro: 03-07-2012 at 08:30 AM.
lazy6pyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:40 AM   #5
Mouseraider

Do you mean besides EA always hampering the individual employees freedom to create games and projects in their free time?

Apart from that, I would have to say that the reason I dislike EA is that they constantly force the developers to work on well established IP's instead of allowing them the freedom to perhaps create Mirrors Edge 2. EA constantly scrap projects simply because they don't feel as if it would sell enough copies.

I dislike both EA and Activision simply because they don't care about their customers nor the fans of the games they publish.

The decision not to include Mass Effect 3 on the steam store was the last straw for me. Valve have accumilated goodwill throughout their entire existance while EA have only ever cared about the next payday.
Mouseraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:29 PM   #6
silverz

Banned
I am not a fan of EA because they have a habit of rushing games out before they are ready and then giving minimal resources to getting them patched up to acceptable standards. Basically, they don't care about the players once they have your money.

Still I do realise that their big money does enable a lot of games to be made that otherwise would not.
silverz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:19 PM   #7
ramze

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverz View Post
I am not a fan of EA because they have a habit of rushing games out before they are ready and then giving minimal resources to getting them patched up to acceptable standards. Basically, they don't care about the players once they have your money.

Still I do realise that their big money does enable a lot of games to be made that otherwise would not.
Unfortunately this is the way that the industry is going. A recent example would be Stronghold 3. It was released with tons of bugs but the developer had to push it out to meet deadlines. Couple of months later and the game is patched to a playable state that it should have been on release.
ramze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:53 AM   #8
Medium_Rare

EA is a publisher that I trust to put out a product that is usually up to par... And frequently to put out exceptional products. I don't understand the hate either op... I'm with you.
Medium_Rare is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Mass Effect series