Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas

Old 03-27-2012, 02:45 PM   #1
Xiphan

Lightbulb Show achievment info in the blotter

When I use the blotter to see what my friends have been playing and I see that they earned achievements I often wonder to myself what exactly is that achievement that they earned.

Which is why I propose adding a small popup block that appears when you hover the mouse over an achievement listed in the blotter. To better illustrate my idea I have made the following rough drawing: http://www.imagehost.co.za/image-2334_4F72317D.jpg

Let me know what you guys think?
Old 05-08-2012, 05:55 AM   #2
Anarchisteve

I like this idea. Saying achievements are unpopular among the community is not unfair but I think it is mostly ideas like achievement scores that people don't like, I'm not sure there's any reason to hate on this idea.
Anarchisteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:06 AM   #3
teppo_merilokki

I like this idea. I dont see why would anybody have problem with this idea.
teppo_merilokki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:15 PM   #4
Kelshir

I do not care about achievements, but I like this idea and support it.
Kelshir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:10 AM   #5
FuuKuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiphan View Post
When I use the blotter to see what my friends have been playing and I see that they earned achievements I often wonder to myself what exactly is that achievement that they earned.

Which is why I propose adding a small popup block that appears when you hover the mouse over an achievement listed in the blotter. To better illustrate my idea I have made the following rough drawing: http://www.imagehost.co.za/image-2334_4F72317D.jpg

Let me know what you guys think?

Nice! very clean and useful idea.
FuuKuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:44 AM   #6
Xiphan

Thanks for all the comments guys, I'm glad you like it. As for this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas Dudecek View Post
As you can clearly see, unlocking achievements doesn't seem very popular within the community, but I for one do value your idea and I myself do collect achievements for my games.
I think the reason why a lot of people don't bother with achievements (ignoring the people who feel it adds nothing to the game) just do not feel rewarded enough for their effort in grinding to get it and let's be honest some achievements are a real ***** to get! By rewarded I do not mean there should be some score attached to them but rather the way an achievement is presented to you when you unlock it should be improved.

To reiterate some achievements are damn hard to earn and all you get in the end is a little popup in the corner saying achievement unlocked which doesn't look awesome at all. Yet if you look at something like World of Warcraft or SC2 I feel immensely satisfied everytime I see that flashy banner appear on the screen letting me know I have earned something. Even the most mundane of achievements felt awesome when presented in this way and SC2 even had a system where you could showcase your top 5 favourite cheeves in your profile for all your friends to see.

Sadly Steam has the simplest achievement system out of all the platforms I have seen (I haven't seen if the PS3 trophy system is simpler?) and lacks any flashyness but this could also be due to 3rd party developers who are too lazy or time constrained to make anything better and thus they just use the default system. Hard Reset actually showed something different to the default Steam popup which I thought was pretty cool and how much more awesome would the Portal achievements have been if a little portal opened and a banner came through it showing the achievement you earned and disappeared through another Portal? These are just ideas but it would be awesome if more games used a system like this instead of a popup you don't always notice. For example I played MW3 for the first time the other day and I never even noticed I was earning achievements, there was no sound just a little popup in the top right where I almost never look, yet if they warped in with the signature MW green wave thingy I would've probably tried harder to unlock more!

Perhaps Steamworks needs a bit of an overhaul to help make development of achievements easier since the presentation system is in dire need of improvement? Also once you have an achievement Steam needs a better way of showing them off. Anyone agree with this?
Xiphan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas