Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > RAGE

Old 04-01-2012, 08:39 PM   #1
ttbloodlusttt

Rage Works/Doesnt Work-AMD/ATI

Hey, I haven't really posted on the forums before so I am going to start with system specs.

The game runs on my husbands PC perfectly. He installed it for the first time and it ran and he's been playing for over a week. If things could get any better for HIM I linked him http://benchmark3d.com/rage-benchmark and he added the 7 lines of code to his default.cfg. It ran awesome BEFORE the code and after it ran even better. He was able to turn on large texture cache and some other options that he couldn't before. The game went from running pretty good to just plain awesome. Here's his specs:

Processor: AMD Phenom II x6 Black Edition (AM3)
RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3 8gigs (4x2) http://www.corsair.com/memory-by-pro...m4a1600c8.html He does not have the ram fan on atm
Motherboard: Asus M4A89GTD Pro/USB3 (he recently replaced his Thermaltake CPU fan with a Zalman copper cooling which lowered his cpu temp considerably and he is running the current BETA bios from Asus for his mobo version)
Graphics cards: ATI Radeon HD 5770 (x2, he has crossfire enabled and his CCC/driver is the latest 12.2 with the latest CAP's installed)
PSU: Corsair 750watt (not modular)
He upgraded his case recently to help air flow to a Zalman z9 Plus which helped lower case temp as well.

So far the only problem he had was with Dirt 3 crashing but he runs almost every game he plays with no problems, Deus Ex Human Revolution, Batman Arkham City, etc. His Dirt 3 Problem was quickly solved by disabling crossfire just for that game.

I installed Rage and, unlike my husband, have wanted to smash my head on my desk. While solving his and everyone elses problems mine doesn't get any better.

Here are my system specs:

Processor: AMD FX 8120 (8 core AM3+)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 16gigs (4x4)http://www.corsair.com/memory-by-pro...m4a1600c9.html
Motherboard: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 (I am also running on my BETA bios, I did try Rage BEFORE I flashed the beta bios and it still didn't work which is what prompted me to try bios update)
Graphics cards: ATI Radeon HD 6790 (x2 and I've tried all the drivers from the 11.10, the Rage optimized Driver, the driver off the HIS site just in case, and then back to my current 12.2 with the current CAP's - my cards are the HIS IceQ Turbo with factory oveclock, however, I read the overclock is so minimal it's practically not there.)
PSU: Silverstone Strider Essentials 700watt
I also have the z9 Plus case, my tower temp idles at 24-26c

So, as I said, my husband installed his game which runs perfectly on his system (even better with the optimizations from Benchmark).
When I launch my game everything seems to work perfectly. Menus are smooth, no lag. I start campaign mode and watch the cutscene, no problems there. As soon at that first cutscene ends and the actual game tries to load it pretty much just stops. Things load, eventually, but it's very slow. It's not playable, even when the textures (15 mins later) are all finally there I try to move my view and it takes about 2-4 mins to attempt to move (which looks jumpy and catchy). I can't even try to move.

The ONLY thing that has worked was turning OFF my Catalyst AI using the Rage Bugs/Fixes thread suggest under 'Other Fixes' #3 Manually disabling Catalyst AI http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...86&postcount=5. After manually disabling my Catalyst AI Rage runs perfectly. NO problems loading, just the blurry textures when turning fast (which I am sure can be fixed with the Benchmark config settings.)

I have since re-enabled my Catalyst AI which put Rage back into unplayable mode. I've read that disabling the Catalyst AI pretty much nulls out your Crossfire because it helps optimize settings to make your game run better at the same time it handles the AFR- Alternate Frame Rendering between your two GPU's.

My husband is able to play with his Crossfire and Catalyst AI ON. His entire system is AMD/ATI like mine. The only massive differences I see is between our processors. Apparently the FX chips are lacking in proper support from mobo manufaturers, many people (from what I've read) claim updating to the beta bios has helped with their FX chips and programs running a lot better. I also read today that apparently the whole goal of the FX chips is to marry ATI and AMD technology, which I assume means they want ATI graphics cards to perform noticeably better on AMD Processor systems.

I've tried everything, and when I say everything, I mean... everything. Forcing V-sync, not forcing, playing on lowest, using the Benchmark config fix (with Catalyst AI on), and as I mentioned above, all the Rage drivers/Caps from ATI. Nothing BUT manually disabling Catalyst AI from the XML works.

I'd like to note that I have the same crashing problem as my husband for Dirt 3 so i disable Crossfire when I play and the crashes go away. We both crash on different effects, mine crashes when I go through water and his crashes when he switches to or out of cockpit view.

I hope the information I've provided in my post can help someone else or give some smarter person a great idea. Or even better help get us better fixes/drivers for this game. From what I saw and see this game is worth playing. My husband has been on it all day today making me so jealous that I set out to try and find an alternate to disabling Catalyst AI (the reason this is an issue for me is because it requires end tasking CCC and MOM.exe, editing the XML, restart MOM.exe, reboot PC, and then play Rage for a bit only to have Crossfire and AI disabled for anything I want to do there-after. That is not why I built a Crossfire system >.< )
** Edit: Also, let me add that disabling Crossfire via CCC didn't fix my problem either. Seems like my major culprit has something to do with Catalyst AI but not directly related to Crossfire. Then again, who knows, I didn't try every possible solution on every possible configuration, that would exceed the time/value continuum in my world. @.@

So thanks to whomever checks out my post and has any suggestions or ideas stemming off this line of thinking.

-Angie

Last edited by ttbloodlusttt: 04-01-2012 at 09:15 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:36 PM   #2
Silicon Vampire

Volunteer Moderator
Welcome and I wish you the best of luck sorting the issues you are experiencing. I hope some of our users can help.

Personally, I won't use ATI because of their history, which does not seem to have gotten any better since I swore them off nearly 15 years ago. They have never been able to consistently create a decent set of drivers without having some kind of game-breaking issues and in my opinion, their CCC is nothing but a waste of resources.

Who in their right mind builds driver applets that are dependant on .net framework?

Old 04-02-2012, 12:14 AM   #3
ttbloodlusttt

I feel the Same about nvidia

Thanks.

Quote:
Silicon Vampire: Personally, I won't use ATI because of their history, which does not seem to have gotten any better since I swore them off nearly 15 years ago. They have never been able to consistently create a decent set of drivers without having some kind of game-breaking issues and in my opinion, their CCC is nothing but a waste of resources.

Who in their right mind builds driver applets that are dependant on .net framework?
I feel the same way about Nvidia. I've had horrible experiences with their products. After My husband and I had three Nvidia cards fry for seemingly no reason (of which we had upgraded from ATi ro Nvidia at the time and ended up regretting for the next year) we switched back to AMD/ATI and haven't looked back. I've never really been concerned about how they develop their technology so long as it works and it has worked probably 95% of the time for me personally. I rarely have problems with ATI/AMD.

However, I have discovered more on this subject tonight and it's exactly what I suspected and had mentioned to my husband.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4955/t...x8150-tested/8
^Scroll down to Rage and read what they wrote about the game. You find out that Rage is heavy on the CPU which I suspected from the start since the only major difference between my husband and mine PC's is the processor. I am infinitely jealous of his Phenom II x6 and I guess it has been for good reason. The FX chips aren't supposed to shine in the gaming performance area which is disappointing to see his 6 core black edition outshine my 8 core black edition /heart hurts.

Now I am wondering how Catalyst AI related to the processor and why this difference is causing me agony.

edit: I've updated my chipsets and everything else having to do with my motherboard. I tried the fix involving the creation of the id games/Rage folder in my Appdata. After game launch it did exactly what the guy said it would, stuffed 1gig in there comprised of two files. He reported seeing better performance, however, nothing improved for me.

Pretty much the state of my game is Launch Rage>Marvel at the menus>Play with video settings>Enter Campaign Mode>Darkness for a second then what appears to be shapes with no texture>I wait>Eventually (over 10-20 mins) textures load sporadically>Game is so slow it's impossible to play.

Things I've done (as much as I can remember):
-Fresh install of windows 7 64 bit (after Rage wasn't working)
-Fresh install of Rage through Steam
-tried the suggested commands to launch Rage with
-tried making custom configs and adding the lines to my config, didn't improve
-tried all the drivers mentioned in regard to Rage (retried configs with those drivers)
-updated bios/chipsets/all that jazz
-tried various 'fixes' from steam forums

Only broken link I have is why my husbands Phenom II x6 seems to be beastly handling the game without issue and my FX8120 seems to be choking on it.

Last edited by ttbloodlusttt: 04-02-2012 at 12:24 AM.
ttbloodlusttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:03 AM   #4
franx1508

http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloa...n_win7-64.aspx

try this drivers +latest cap.

and update your directx

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=35

update rage with steam autoupdate...
franx1508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:29 AM   #5
ttbloodlusttt

Quote:
Originally Posted by franx1508 View Post
http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloa...n_win7-64.aspx

try this drivers +latest cap.

and update your directx

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=35

update rage with steam autoupdate...
Thanks for the reply:
-I've already installed/updated the latest directx
- my auto-update is always on in Steam so Rage is running on the last patch 1.2 according to Steam
- That ATI driver you linked, if you go to release notes you can see my graphics card series isn't supported. However, I downloaded and installed it anyway with it's CAP's. It installed so I allowed myself a brief moment of hope which was quickly crushed. My driver version is still the 3/8 one but the CCC is 12.3. I launched Rage and the only difference was that it loaded the textures in about 5 mins but remained unplayable. Couldn't really move or access the menu after loading campaign.

Back to the drawing board.

PS: -_- though my husbands card series was on there so he gleefully downloaded the driver and basked in the glory of himself. /pffz
Old 06-19-2012, 12:37 PM   #6
UptownCheese

Uh

My ATI 6850 works great
And you no doubt swear off Norton products too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silicon Vampire View Post
Welcome and I wish you the best of luck sorting the issues you are experiencing. I hope some of our users can help.

Personally, I won't use ATI because of their history, which does not seem to have gotten any better since I swore them off nearly 15 years ago. They have never been able to consistently create a decent set of drivers without having some kind of game-breaking issues and in my opinion, their CCC is nothing but a waste of resources.

UptownCheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:28 PM   #7
ttbloodlusttt

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownCheese View Post
My ATI 6850 works great
And you no doubt swear off Norton products too.
^ lol - so I wasn't the only one a bit bothered by that post.

Just an update.

ATI finally got back to me after some strong arming on my end (mostly a few emails to their tech support to get noticed, after a phone call led to nothing) and I am sad to say nothing has improved in the RAGE department.

I've tried:

-The beta drivers 12.5 & 12.6
-taking out three sticks of RAM and running on one 4 gig stick
-one graphics card
-F7 BIOS for my motherboard

A few other minor things as well.

At this point I am both irritated and shaking my head at the suggestions I've gotten from HiS and ATI. ATI is now sticking 'If we don't hear from you in 10 days we will close your ticket.' on the bottom of my emails. This leads me to believe that unless I find a solution they really aren't caring or are at such a loss they have no clue. Not to mention, they don't even release driver updates every 10 days or less >_<. The earlier tech that said they would try some in house testing was probably stepping over some line as I don't/wasn't told if they tried in house testing for my issue.

HiS keeps telling me to do things I've already done. They even suggested that my graphics cards might be overheating. @_@. They are not and nothing else is either. The only thing they suggested that I actually tried (other than retrying what I already tried just to see if their combination was the magical one) was to install their iTurbo tool. Okay, I am sure this tool works for some, but I did exactly what they told me to which was disable the 2D stuff I believe and my computer froze. Had to force a restart. After a second freeze I uninstalled it.

Since I built my computer May 22nd of this year I've purchased quite a few games. I will list a few of the ones I play and have no graphical issues with at all:

- Assassin's Creed 2 (no issues, no tweaks)
- Alice Madness Returns (had to alter the config, the slow-mo and stop motion action sequences make fighting horribly laggy which is a common complaint with this game - no biggie)
- Guild Wars 2 (run this on max settings every beta and it's a dream)
- Dungeon Defenders (may not be graphically ridiculous but it runs perfectly)
- Borderlands (I have to mess with the config on this one, for some reason it's not putting it on max settings so stuff looks blurry)
- Audiosur (runs on QuestViewer and QuestViewer wants it's own processor core. So, I designate one core for it when I play and it helps a lot)
- Dead Space & Dead Space 2 (no problems, installed and they worked)
- Dirt 3 (blue screens when going into/out of cockpit view and through water seemed to be fixed with the 12.4 Catalyst)
-From Dust
- Skyrim
- Hunted: The Demon's Forge
- Prototype
- The Witcher (on Win 7 Vsync doesn't like to stick so I've had to use D3DOverrider with it. For some reason forcing vsync with D3D works @_@. Without D3D the screen tearing is horrendous)
- Kingdoms of Amalur

Those are the main games I've played, there are others but graphically I would expect them to run. Out of all my games, which are becoming many (yey), RAGE is the only broken one.

I repeat what I've said before, the ONLY two things that work so far are disabling the Catalyst AI through the XML OR using the 12.1a Catalyst with the 11.8 atioglxx.

I am still assuming that it's either IDTech5 engine that needs polishing (major overhaul) or some kind of BIOS /processor conflict. Seeing as how the game actually runs and looks pretty good with the Catalyst AI disabled, I think it's safe to assume it could also be some kind of conflict within my graphics card BIOS with the ATI drivers. I am no technician or programmer so all I can do is assume on these fronts.

If I suddenly fix RAGE, I will be back. I will also try and update with as ATI releases updates.

<start: rambling opinion below>

What I find amazing is that IDTech5 engine is mostly an engine that is supposed to make making games easier on the developers and how poorly it runs on home desktops. It's as if they didn't bother to optimize the game (other than find ways to compress it's massive textures.) All this and I don't feel RAGE looks any better or worse than some games out there. It wasn't really visually stunning in comparison to say Witcher 2 or Guild Wars 2. And there are some games out there using engines like Unreal Engine, Crysis Engine and they look fine. I appreciate ID trying to push the bar but I honestly feel like RAGE was the wrong game to show case their new engine. Dusty, post apocalyptic, dust bowl isn't something new.

Again, I hope Doom 4 (which will be on IDTech5) is optimized and they work out the massive texture issues. I think it's safe to say that lots of people had issues running RAGE in one way or another. Whether minor, like a config tweak or run command, or major, like it pretty much not working at all. It's sad, but I don't think I will buy Doom 4. Maybe my husband will let me install his copy and see if it runs and that will be the deciding factor.

Now that I've gone on a bit, be back next time I have something to say.

Last edited by ttbloodlusttt: 06-22-2012 at 02:34 PM.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:29 AM   #8
smolensk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silicon Vampire View Post
I agree and agree and agree and ... lots of agrees.

And they don't provide a way to install them without the .net framework. Only way to install the drivers without using .net, without being a tech wiz, is to let windows update do it. And it isntalls a very old driver for win xp 32bit: 8.821.0.0. It's not even a joke, it borders criminal behavior.

And their support is like a lunatic on opium.

EDIT: I have waited 7 months for ATI to fix the problem. And I must stress: Their support team is like a group of orcs trolling and trolling and trolling ... lots of trolling. They can't get into their stupid head that my/your system is freshly installed, which means Bios is updated, chipset drivers are updated, my graphic card is so "warm" that you can make icecubes on it (I am exaggerating to make my point), etc, etc, etc. And that ONLY RAGE AND CATALYST ARE INSTALLED (and dependencies). I will NEVER buy ati/amd again.

EDIT2: Ati can't do crossplatfrom development and opengl, which is why it works for some and not for others, me included. The factors involved seem to be cperating system, graphic card version and 32bit/64bit - they can't write a driver that implements it properly.

EDIT3: I almost forgot to mention, that sometimes their uninstall fails to uninstall the drivers/ccc/etc, and it asks for paths to files that has been installed by their own installer. Search for posts by me in this forum to get a more detailed list.

Last edited by smolensk: 06-29-2012 at 04:56 AM.
smolensk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:34 AM   #9
Jimmy Shelter

I've seen some people with similar problems to you getting results by changing the value of jobs_NumThreads. Not sure what the best one is (I haven't experimented extensively with it) but start at 0 and bring it up to 4 and see how you get on.

Best of luck.
Jimmy Shelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:42 PM   #10
Grimlar

I believe that you can use the atioglxx.dll file extracted from the 11.8 catalyst drivers together with the 12.1 release drivers to get around this problem, the 1fps slidehow.

I dont think it works with the 12.2 drivers though.

I believe the Catalyst AI stays on and the old atioglxx.dll file would need to be put in the rage directory which is here on my machine:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rage

I dont know how stable this is, or if it will work for you at all, as Ive not spent a lot of time with Rage since I completed it. Oh and Im running on a 5830 so quite a difference there too.

Best of luck, hope you find a workaround.
Grimlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:55 PM   #11
ttbloodlusttt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimlar View Post
I believe that you can use the atioglxx.dll file extracted from the 11.8 catalyst drivers together with the 12.1 release drivers to get around this problem, the 1fps slidehow.

I dont think it works with the 12.2 drivers though.

I believe the Catalyst AI stays on and the old atioglxx.dll file would need to be put in the rage directory which is here on my machine:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rage

I dont know how stable this is, or if it will work for you at all, as Ive not spent a lot of time with Rage since I completed it. Oh and Im running on a 5830 so quite a difference there too.

Best of luck, hope you find a workaround.
Hey, I tried ^^^^ this morning and the good news: it works. I'd like to elaborate on this through to help others get the correct files.

1. -Download http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles...iewdriver.aspx <12.1a Catalyst Preview Driver (There is a Notice on the normal 12.1 driver that tells Rage players to stick with 12.1a driver.)
- Download http://forums.steamgames.com/forums/...89&postcount=3 atioglxx from the 11.8 ati download.
(helps to put both of these files on your desktop for quick access)
2. (I disabled my internet connection before continuing) Uninstall anything and everything having to o with video drivers. I removed them from Device Manager (deleted driver as well) and removed anything video related in my Control Panel> Programs and Devices. Then I went as far as deleting anything that remained in the AMD/ATI folders just to make sure. Even removed any Catalyst Application Profiles you find.
3. Restarted PC and installed the 12.1a Catalyst/driver. Restarted PC again (did not install any new CAP's.)
4. copy the atioglxx from the 11.8 catalyst file into the Steam\steamapps\common\rage
5. Re-enable internet and launch steam/rage.

Without any configs or launch commands I knew right away it worked. It was a bit laggy so I fiddled with my settings. Here are the ones that finally ended up working:
**Added this guys http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...8&postcount=10 config settings to my \Steam\steamapps\common\rage\base\default.cfg (just added them to the bottom) then added the launch commands. I haven't had the chance to tweak them or try other settings other than in game.
Here are my in game settings: http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/3...2040200018.jpg
CCC Settings: http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/712...tting1copy.jpg

Here is what my game looked like through the various processes and trials leading up to trying Grimlar's post:
1. This is what it looked like without a working fix: http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/6/2012040100005.jpg (that was after waiting over 5 minutes for it to load a little)
2. These are using the disable Catalyst AI through XML fix:
-http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/3...2040200008.jpg
-http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/2...2040200003.jpg
-http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/5...2040200009.jpg
I was getting some odd texture clipping and misplaced textures with Catalyst AI disabled, here's a couple examples:
- http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/6499/2012040200006.jpg (nice whatever that is on her face O.O)
-http://img848.imageshack.us/img848/7...2040200001.jpg (odd square/rectangle textures on the wall)

Here is what my game looks like using the 12.1a driver/catalyst + 11.8 atioglxx + the config/launch commands (no fine tuning yet, just tried to get it to run as fast as possible):
-http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/4...2040200014.jpg
-http://img816.imageshack.us/img816/2...2040200015.jpg
-http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/6...2040200016.jpg
-http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/6...2040200017.jpg

My benchmark in game was between 60-75 when the game wouldn't run or load textures, the benchmark with it running on the 12.1a and 11.8 atioglxx is really low, like 10-20 but it's running fairly fast with minimal lag. On a scale of 1-10, 10 being 100% perfect, I' rate it at a 7 or 8. Textures are obviously slightly degraded and the graphical effects are very low so I probably won't see the beautiful explosions my husband sees >.< but regardless. It works well enough and I can play other games without having to revert the Catalyst AI disable every time.

I'd appreciate if anyone who tries this posts here to let me know if they were able to squeeze more performance out of their game using the 12.1a + 11.8 atioglxx. I'd like to try more config settings or test them.

Thanks Grimlar and everyone elses collective posts/infomation, every little bit is helping.

-Angie

Last edited by ttbloodlusttt: 04-02-2012 at 04:10 PM. Reason: added CCC settings
Old 04-08-2012, 07:04 AM   #12
Dark Terror

Go get a Nvidia GPU!
Dark Terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:37 PM   #13
fishcandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Terror View Post
Go get a Nvidia GPU!
No thanks. My game runs great at a stable 50-60 fps with a 5870 using 12.3 drivers and no cofig. files.
fishcandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:09 AM   #14
Grimlar

It may or may not be related to your problem, but I wonder if you could satisfy my curiosity about something?

If you use the Benchmark tool included in Rages video settings menu, then exit out of the game and paste the contents of your clipboard into a txt/doc file. You should get something like the following:

CPU type = Intel CPU with MMX & SSE & SSE2 & SSE3 & SSSE3 & SSE41 & SSE42
CPU frequency = 2.72 MHz
CPU physical cores = 4
CPU logical cores = 4
CPU threads = 3
GPU type = ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series
GPU physical cores = 0
GPU logical cores = 0
GPU transcoding enabled = false
Max PPF = 64
----------------
43 Mega Texels per Second
Benchmark Score: GOOD

The bit that interests me is the GPU physical cores/logical cores being zero.

I was wondering if anybody with an AMD card has anything other than zero there? (I am assuming that people with Nvidia cards do have nonzero values there.)

The reason for my interest is that Im wondering if the apparent lack of a GPU (whether its determined by the game or the drivers I couldnt say,) has something to do with the issues we've got getting the game to run.
Grimlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:03 AM   #15
seanstar333

Hi

I got this game the day it came out...it had problems right off the bat. when I got to wellspring the glitches were mad.

despite these problems I enjoyed the game a lot and still play it.

you should add the folder to appdata/local/idsofware/rage...to add the extra gig of filecache.

today i had a crashes when I tried to run it...changed some ccc setting trying to disable the cat ai for doom3...after setting them back to defaults the game runs perfectly again.

detail textures look good, but my i7 chokes with it on, you might need a six core cpu to get it running 60fps.

I have a radeon 5870 and it eats this game up...im running in eyefinity.

my res is 5670x1080...it can only handle 4 times aa at this res.

screenshot
http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/1...25670x1080.jpg

regards

Sean
seanstar333 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > RAGE