Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dive to the Titanic

Old 04-08-2012, 01:26 AM   #1
Hub Groeneveld

Angry Not able to load Dive to the Titanic

During installation I got the message: The engine was unable to initialize the sound system.That was the end of my dive to the Titanic
I use DirectX 11 and I am sure my sound driver are all up to date.
All my other games work perfectly.
System: Intell I5, NVidia Geforce GT 540M 4b RAM with the latest drivers.
Please help, or is it better to put the game into the trashcan?
Is there a way to get my money back from Steam?
Hub Groeneveld
Old 04-10-2012, 11:05 AM   #2
DC Shoemaker

You must have DirectX 9.0c even if you have other, newer versions, installed; later DirectX versions do not replace earlier ones. If you purchased through Steam, the version offered for installation is the correct one, and will not affect your other DirectX installations. 9.0c can also be found on the Internet. Today is the 100th anniversary of Titanic's sailing, what better time to get the game going.
DC Shoemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:40 PM   #3
Marcelo Eiras

But, how intall DirectX 9.0c in Windows 8 ?
Marcelo Eiras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:09 AM   #4
DC Shoemaker

DirectX and Sound for Windows 8

Of all the Microsoft gaming components, DirectX has probably caused the most confusion. Later versions are generally not backwards-compatible; you must often install several different versions to accomodate various games. Some game engines like C4 are written to use a specific version, in this case 9.0C and nothing else works. Microsoft is not particularly good at backwards-compatibility and DirectX 9.0C seems to be one example. Until Microsoft recognizes this problem (unlikely, but who can say?) or someone comes up with a way to run Titanic under a Win 7 emulator (one that allows DirectX 9.0C to load) you may well be sunk.

The same problems arise with sound. If a program uses DirectX for sounds, not only may you have problems with the sound car initializing, but you may have a sound card (or more likely a built-in sound chip) for which there is yet no DirectX 9.0C driver. It's possible to work around this with another sound card, but some research will be needed.

For anyone who cares to read it, my advice is if you're a gamer, avoid Win 8. A number of my Win XP games won't run in Win 7, so I maintain a separate computer for them. Even more games fail under Win 8.
DC Shoemaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dive to the Titanic