Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Microsoft Flight

Old 04-10-2012, 03:00 PM   #1
StratoArt

Cool Sectional Charts, what are they? and how are they useful?

If you'd like to know what VFR pilot's use to fly around the Hawaiian Islands go here for the sectional charts:

I'm guessing that most new users here on Steam haven't purchased the Hawaiian expansion pack which means you are flying around the Big Island, Hawaii. Or, if you have purchased the pack, you don't know what to do next.

In that case here is the link to Hilo - http://skyvector.com/airport/ITO/Hil...tional-Airport
which is ITO or PHTO for short.

Here you can scroll down and find the ATC frequencies for tower, ground, approach, departure. And if you want to listen to live ATC of Hilo go here: http://www.liveatc.net/search/?icao=ito

or Honolulu Intl: http://www.liveatc.net/search/?icao=hnl

Back to that skyvector, if you click on the colorful sectional charts on the left side, that will take you to a very complex looking sectional chart.

If you aren't familiar with what a sectional chart is, start here: http://www.pilotfriend.com/training/.../rd_charts.htm

Anyhoo! These are for you casual flyers as well as other pilots who want to learn more about flying.

Enjoy!
Old 04-10-2012, 03:46 PM   #2
Jenner

Good info. Thanks!
Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:57 PM   #3
FS Tester

FYI, You can also get the FAA's Sectional Aeronautical Charts for Hawaii & Alaska at: http://aeronav.faa.gov/index.asp?xml...chartlist_sect

The VFR Terminal Area Aeronautical Charts are here (click on the digital - Terminal Procedures (1204) link on that page):
http://aeronav.faa.gov/index.asp?xml.../chartlist_tac

and the Terminal Procedures Publication & Airport Diagrams are here:
http://aeronav.faa.gov/index.asp?xml...ications/d_tpp

These are all free to download. The charts are updated on a regular basis by the FAA, so I recommend bookmarking these three pages.
FS Tester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:33 PM   #4
RoboRay

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusader58 View Post
IMO skyvector is a better source for Sectional Charts with relation to the Game, as MS use old data (2005) for their VOR's/Frequencies etc...so updated FAA charts will not tally with the in-game data.

(For Real World charts then yes FAA up-to-date charts are essential)

Also the Skyvector charts are interactive and allow you to access other data on the fly, as well as make a flight plan with a route that is overlaid on the chart.
Are you certain on the age of the data MS is using? I use an old Hawaii paper sectional from 2002 and it's perfect for Flight. I'd like to track down more old charts if I can, but am not sure exactly what time-frame would be "most correct."

About the Skyvector recommendation due to Flight using older information, do they make expired charts available digitally? I don't see that.
RoboRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:58 PM   #5
RoboRay

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusader58 View Post
Not sure what you mean by 'available digitally'? do you mean for download? ..if so, then no I dont think so ...but they are far more useful in their interactive form that you view via your internet browser.
But are they not using current data? In reference to this:

Quote:
IMO skyvector is a better source for Sectional Charts with relation to the Game, as MS use old data (2005) for their VOR's/Frequencies etc...so updated FAA charts will not tally with the in-game data.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:33 PM   #6
StratoArt

Nice, FS Tester, thanks!
StratoArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:49 AM   #7
twistedrider14

too bad there is no charts in game.. an actual in flight map/chart would be nice rather than the "game menu" map. And you cant access that anyway on any of the missions.

as a trainee pilot yeah i find lack of maps/navigation odd... and what is the radio for..... i tried tuning to frequencies mantioned on the map page but nothing at all...surely MS can link the game into LiveATC or something?
twistedrider14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:10 AM   #8
Duesselwings

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedrider14 View Post
and what is the radio for..... i tried tuning to frequencies mantioned on the map page but nothing at all...
What do you mean with "nothing at all"? With the frequencies

-you are able to fly an ILS approach in bad conditions,
-you can take the VOR frequencies to fly from VOR to VOR,
-you can use the same frequency like your friend(s) in MP as a comm-channel for all, who have the same frequency

So, for the moment, its OK with the function of the frequencies...
Duesselwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:14 PM   #9
AzureWX

He probably means the comm radio, since only the RV-6A and Maule can even use the NAV beacons. Despite extensive comm frequencies listed on each airport's info panel, they don't currently do anything within the game itself (though they work for semi-private player-to-player communication using Ctrl+Tab).

I've seen a player improvise an ASOS station before, and that was pretty hilarious. Tuning 123.4 got you a recording of him reading weather info with his voice modified to sound like the ASOS robot.
AzureWX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:42 AM   #10
twistedrider14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureWX View Post
He probably means the comm radio, since only the RV-6A and Maule can even use the NAV beacons. Despite extensive comm frequencies listed on each airport's info panel, they don't currently do anything within the game itself
Exactly... there is nothing going on when tuned to the frequencies given.

and im afraid im not yet up to VOR/ILS etc with training.... so not even sure hot to set them up.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:28 AM   #11
RoboRay

Failure to include any missions teaching VOR/ILS usage was a big "miss" by MS, especially since a couple of the landing challenges are ILS approaches.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:41 AM   #12
twistedrider14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboRay View Post
Failure to include any missions teaching VOR/ILS usage was a big "miss" by MS, especially since a couple of the landing challenges are ILS approaches.
they are?? i ve just done every landing VFR. make the night flying a bit hair raising when you realise you're running an approach at 90 degrees to the runway. Icon and Maule have awesome sideslip capabilities by the way

anyone have a guide to VOR/ILS in game??? is it in the handbook?
Old 04-13-2012, 07:58 AM   #13
RoboRay

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedrider14 View Post
they are?? i ve just done every landing VFR. make the night flying a bit hair raising when you realise you're running an approach at 90 degrees to the runway. Icon and Maule have awesome sideslip capabilities by the way

anyone have a guide to VOR/ILS in game??? is it in the handbook?
Yes, all the VOR stations and ILS approaches work. From your Map screen, go to Legends and turn on the Navigation stuff. Hover over each of them to get the navaid radio frequencies.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:07 AM   #14
AzureWX

The ILS landing challenges are both for the RV-6A, the Icon and Stearman don't have NAV radios.
AzureWX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:24 AM   #15
twistedrider14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureWX View Post
The ILS landing challenges are both for the RV-6A, the Icon and Stearman don't have NAV radios.

yep noticed that... hell the icon doesnt even have an AH!! I thought that was compulsory in aircraft

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Microsoft Flight