Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Alan Wake

Old 04-16-2012, 01:36 AM   #1
XxaP

can't move Draw distance or LOD sliders

I'm setting up to play Alan wake for the first time and am trying to adjust my video settings.
I can change everything else just fine, but when I get to the two settings with adjustable sliders, draw distance and LOD, I can't select or change them. They appear to both be on lowest or off.
I'm using two GTX 580s 3gb in sli with the latest Nvidia 300 series beta driver on an Intel 2600k with 3 surround monitors.

If nobody knows a solution for this, would someone know the 'launch options' command to access these settings from Alan Wake Propeties?
Old 04-16-2012, 01:57 AM   #2
XxaP

nvm
got access to both settings by using the physical arrow keys on my keyboard.
XxaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:01 AM   #3
eximius

hey Xxap, I see that you have are a widescreen gamer. How do you find Alan Wake to run with your setup? Is it Eyefinity or nVidia Surround?

Maxed out, with MSAA at 2x, I get only 25fps in Alan wake at 5760x1200, thats with two 3GB GTX 580s.

It plays awful for me. Curious what other peoples experiences are!
eximius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:00 PM   #4
XxaP

I seem to be getting 35-60 fps with it hovering around 47 fps most of the time. That's with everything on max, no vsynch and FXAA turned off.
I don't have an option for MSAA though, I think I saw some way to access the setting in the forums but haven't tried yet.
I read Alan Wake hadn't been optimized for sli yet, but maybe that's changed since I'm using the new (beta) 300 series Nvidia gtx driver. But, in any case, both gpu's are showing mirrored usage in MSI afterburner as well as other stats.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:36 PM   #5
cyborg34573

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxaP View Post
I seem to be getting 35-60 fps with it hovering around 47 fps most of the time. That's with everything on max, no vsynch and FXAA turned off.
I don't have an option for MSAA though, I think I saw some way to access the setting in the forums but haven't tried yet.
I read Alan Wake hadn't been optimized for sli yet, but maybe that's changed since I'm using the new (beta) 300 series Nvidia gtx driver. But, in any case, both gpu's are showing mirrored usage in MSI afterburner as well as other stats.

There is AA in the game options but im not sure if its MSAA, probably not. You might be able to force it via Nvidia Inspector using a AA compatibility flag but im not familiar with what flags work for this game. I dont see a reason why anyone would want to force more AA on the game tho, it already looks great with the built in AA.

And yes SLI works for this game great now actually since the 1.05 patch that added SLI support for the game(if im not mistaken, just sure not sure if was 1.05 or 1.04 that brought SLI support) and the release of the official Nvidia Alan Wake profile for SLI.

Last edited by cyborg34573: 04-16-2012 at 02:40 PM.
cyborg34573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:27 PM   #6
XxaP

There's up to x8 Antialiasing, low/high FXAA and up to 16x Anisotropic.
Also a few others like SSAO, LOD, and draw distance.

But I'm sure I heard someone say they activated x2 MSAA through the console or maybe startup parameters or something?
Old 04-17-2012, 06:07 AM   #7
eximius

Hmm,

I seems to be only getting 25fps. Goddamit, wonder whats wrong.

xXap, the AA slider in game (not FXAA), what do you have that at?
eximius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:40 PM   #8
XxaP

Quote:
Originally Posted by eximius View Post
Hmm,

I seems to be only getting 25fps. Goddamit, wonder whats wrong.

xXap, the AA slider in game (not FXAA), what do you have that at?

My AA is set to max (x8), as is every other setting. I'm even trying FXAA now, as it's advertised as a 'complimentary antialiasing technique' to standard AA as well as a complete alternative.

Now, with FXAA added, I'm still getting 35-47fps mostly around 37-40.
Have you gotten the new 300 series beta Nvidia driver from last week? I hear it, and Alan Wakes last update, tackle the sli issue (I'm getting mirrored use in both).

Sounds like we have the same setup Eximius, so we should be getting more similar results I'd think. And since my first post I've moved my Alan Wake folder off my SSD to a regular 7200rpm HDD, although that shouldn't be affecting fps I don't think.
My 2600k is overclocked to 4.4ghz, if that might give me an added boost?

Last edited by XxaP: 04-18-2012 at 03:53 PM.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Alan Wake