Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas

Old 04-26-2012, 03:20 AM   #1
nrnoble

Request: Suspend updates when HDD space is low. Do not use all HDD space

Today it took me about 2 hours to track down that Steam was eating up all my HDD space as it attempted to download updates.

I would delete files to free up HDD space and within 1-2 minutes all free space was gone, and my system and applications were having significant problems because Steam kept downloading updates and eating up all possible disk space. For 2 hours I didn't know it was Steam that was causing the problem, all I knew was something kept using all the free space as I deleted files. It was very frustrating because there was no information being provided that Steam was continuing to use up all possible free space.

Steam shouldn't take the HDD space down to zero. It should check HDD space, and and if the space is less than 2% (or some other reasonable amount) it should suspend downloading and inform the user that download has been suspended until there is more HDD space.

Honestly, Steam was behaving like a virus, using up all free space without any hint\suggestion that Steam would continue to use all free space as it became available.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:51 AM   #2
iltoen

just disable automatic updates
iltoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:56 AM   #3
GDL

Fully supported.
GDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:52 AM   #4
TeKraken

what if the update is for an MP game?
Does it not need to update first in order for the game to start?
What then?
TeKraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:00 AM   #5
GDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeKraken View Post
What then?
Steam tells you that it can't update the game due to lack of space and won't allow you to launch it.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:01 AM   #6
TeKraken

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDL View Post
Steam tells you that it can't update the game due to lack of space and won't allow you to launch it.
great. edit:

Perhaps a better option would be a new hdd.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:13 AM   #7
GDL

Quote:
Not sure why the rolleyes but meh.

Last edited by GDL: 04-26-2012 at 05:16 AM.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:27 AM   #8
TeKraken

Quote:
Not sure why the rolleyes but meh.
the eyes where to emphasise sarcasm.

I didn't think giving steam another reason not to start games was a good idea.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:16 AM   #9
nrnoble

Quote:

Not if Steam is already running prior to downloading updates.
nrnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:28 AM   #10
bobczes

Anyone who owns a computer should realize, when your hard drive capacity is low, it is time to expand. That means a larger HD or an internal or external secondary HD.

This is SOP even on a non-gaming computer.

Why would you want your applications to control HD usage?

Last edited by bobczes: 04-26-2012 at 05:33 AM.
bobczes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:15 AM   #11
nrnoble

Quote:
great. edit:

Perhaps a better option would be a new hdd.

^^ That is something to be considered as a long term solution, but Steam shouldn't take a HDD down to zero HDD space. It shouldn't be assumed that its obvious that Steam is continuing to use all free space. As I discribed in my first post, I'd delete files to free up space, and 1-2 minutes later my HDD had zero free space. I didn't know if it was Steam, iCloud, Skydrive,virus, etc that was the source of the problem, Steam was not warning me, it simple continued to use all free space once it became available. This went on for 2 hours until I started killing apps\services one at time until the problem stopped.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:35 AM   #12
nrnoble

^^ Not a valid justification for any application to take a HDD down to zero free space.

As a professional developer, this is SOP for every application that meets professional standards. It should do checks, if space is low (under 2%), user is informed that some functionality of the current application (ie steam) will be suspended until HDD space is no longer low. Or, as suggested above, the application launches, checks, and exits informing the user there is not enough space to run.

Last edited by nrnoble: 04-26-2012 at 05:40 AM.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:47 AM   #13
bobczes

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrnoble View Post
^^ Not a valid justification for any application to take a HDD down to zero free space.

As a professional developer, this is SOP for every application that meets professional standards. It should do checks, if space is low (under 2%), user is informed that some functionality of the current application (ie steam) will be suspended until HDD space is no longer low. Or, as suggested above, the application launches, checks, and exits informing the user there is not enough space to run.
I'm fairly certain this an OS function not an app function. I don't want to seem argumentative but can you provide a source for this standard?
bobczes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:53 AM   #14
cylon

As far as i recall, windows runs better when you have several GB of free space that it can use for temp files, swap files etc.

You shouldn't even be running the PC with such low free space that a game update causes your drive to be full. Considering there are VERY FEW updates that are anywhere even near 1Gb, that has to be one VERY full drive already.
cylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:10 AM   #15
nrnoble

Quote:
Originally Posted by cylon View Post
You shouldn't even be running the PC with such low free space that a game update causes your drive to be full. Considering there are VERY FEW updates that are anywhere even near 1Gb, that has to be one VERY full drive already.

Not a valid justification for any application to take a HDD down to zero free space and continue to keep the drive at zero available space during efforts to delete files and free up space.

I wasn't running a system with just 1-2 free GBs, something happened that caused over 75GB to suddenly get used up, reducing the system to less than 5GB. The total Steam updates was over 6GB, thus continued to use up all avialable space while I deleted files. Source of problem as unknown at the time, only after I killed Steam did I figure out Steam was resuming downloads once free space became available, keeping the drive a zero free space.

Last edited by nrnoble: 04-26-2012 at 01:25 PM.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas