Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 04-30-2012, 09:08 AM   #1
jack_ton

Malware after using hijacked account?

Hello.

I am really worried about this and I don't know who to ask or where to ask, this is the only place I could think of.

My problem is: My account was hijacked a few months ago. I managed to get it back. I have changed everything (password, email, steamguard).

Now I am worried to start a game or to download the games that I own through Steam. Why? I am worried that maybe the hijacker has put a virus, trojan or something inside them. Is that possible?

For example is it possible that the hijacker have placed malware into Steam cloud? Or into the games I download? Or into Steam itself whenever I login?

Thanks for all your help.
Please forgive me if I have done anything wrong while posting this, for example wrong forum.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:09 AM   #2
paratech2008

You can't upload games to Steam you just download them.
paratech2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:10 AM   #3
Vulcanor

It wasn't your computer they hacked, just your password, so it should be completely safe to use games. However, did you report this to Steam Support? (if you haven't you really should think about it!)
Vulcanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:20 AM   #4
zonkz

Dont switch to paranoia.
You were victim of a poor soul. Thats all.

If such poor souls could infect steam databases, we wouldnt play on steam these days anymore.
zonkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:23 AM   #5
cslayer211

No, they would have to hack into Steam in order for them to do that (which would effect millions of Steam accounts).
cslayer211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:46 AM   #6
heffebaycay

Volunteer Moderator
Hello,
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack_ton View Post
Hello.

I am really worried about this and I don't know who to ask or where to ask, this is the only place I could think of.

My problem is: My account was hijacked a few months ago. I managed to get it back. I have changed everything (password, email, steamguard).
Did you figure out how your account was stolen?

(Moving this thread to Help and Tips).
heffebaycay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:29 PM   #7
jack_ton

Quote:
Originally Posted by paratech2008 View Post
You can't upload games to Steam you just download them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcanor View Post
It wasn't your computer they hacked, just your password, so it should be completely safe to use games. However, did you report this to Steam Support? (if you haven't you really should think about it!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonkz View Post
Dont switch to paranoia.
You were victim of a poor soul. Thats all.

If such poor souls could infect steam databases, we wouldnt play on steam these days anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cslayer211 View Post
No, they would have to hack into Steam in order for them to do that (which would effect millions of Steam accounts).
Quote:
Originally Posted by heffebaycay View Post
Hello,
Did you figure out how your account was stolen?

(Moving this thread to Help and Tips).

Thanks a lot guys and girls for your help!

I am aware that you can just download the games, but since the player (I believe) managed to play a bit before I could get it back - I am a bit worried. How about things like Steam cloud or anything else - they can not be infected either no?

I believe my account was stolen by finding out my password. My computer is right now 100% clean so there is no problem that way. My password is a very hard one now.

There is no chance they can get the account back.

I will do a ticket at steam support and see what they say!

Thanks a lot guys for your help!

Last edited by jack_ton: 05-01-2012 at 09:10 AM.
jack_ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:25 AM   #8
cylon

Quote:
Thanks a lot guys and girls for your help!

I am aware that you can just download the games, but since the player (I believe) managed to play a bit before I could get it back - I am a bit worried. How about things like Steam cloud or anything else - they can not be infected either no?
No. Even if you could upload .exe files into the loud, you'd need to be able to download them and the have to run them manually. (You can't upload exe files, it's just a point im making)

If the person HAS been playing the games however and has been using cheats that have been picked up by VAC, you could shortly find yourself being banned from the multiplayer aspect of those games!
cylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:14 AM   #9
jack_ton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washell View Post
Maybe you, accidentally, put it in the purchases and payments category?
What do you mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cylon View Post
No. Even if you could upload .exe files into the loud, you'd need to be able to download them and the have to run them manually. (You can't upload exe files, it's just a point im making)

If the person HAS been playing the games however and has been using cheats that have been picked up by VAC, you could shortly find yourself being banned from the multiplayer aspect of those games!
Yeah. You are right.

Regarding VAC I think I am safe on that part because it's been a few months now, didn't think of that... lucky I guess.

----------------

So basically, since games are downloaded from Steam servers - they can not be infected. Steam cloud can not be infected because as far as I know only Steam can upload things to that and it is text-only. Steam itself can not be infected because that requires me to have malware on my pc (which is not the case).

If anyone have anything else to say it would be nice, even confirmations. It will make me feel safer. Thanks a lot.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:57 AM   #10
jack_ton

Very very sorry for bumping this. But some have not responded and I would to get other opinions. As you know I don't want to risk my account again ,because I worked hard for my few games. Thanks a lot guys and girls for your opinion.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:59 AM   #11
zonkz

Quote:
Very very sorry for bumping this. But some have not responded and I would to get other opinions. As you know I don't want to risk my account again ,because I worked hard for my few games. Thanks a lot guys and girls for your opinion.
You dont need opinions. You just need common sense.
It might feel like being helpless if someone steals your account.
But that doesnt make them "omnipotent".
Your account got stolen by a loser after all.
Who was happy afterwards like a kid which got a lollipop, which thinks, a lollipop is a treasure.

If poor idiots could tell steam what they have to upload.......
no, doesnt make sense

JUST PLAY.
zonkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:50 PM   #12
Washell

Maybe you, accidentally, put it in the purchases and payments category?
Washell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:05 PM   #13
wildfire678

As pointed out previously, you should only be worried about a VAC ban, malware transference via steam cloud is impossible.

/thread.
wildfire678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:12 PM   #14
Sufferes

Yes, you and your games are safe. The only possibility of a problem for you could be that whoever it was played any of your games that use the steamcloud savegame function and you might have to start a new game or something.

Otherwise, you're completely safe.
Sufferes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:33 AM   #15
Dalek22

Dont be a paranoid parrot. Steam Cloud and the Steam Servers are connected to a very secure network, you download games. Not upload them. If you really are that paranoid then go get Malware Bytes and run a scan, make sure your Anti-Virus is up to date.
If its Norton or Mcafee, go get AVG because those Anti-Viruses suck.

Enjoy.
Dalek22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips