Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam for Mac > Third Party games

Old 04-30-2012, 03:49 PM   #1
rajjda

Deus Ex: Human Rev for Mac NOT on Steam??

So Deus Ex: HR recently got released for mac...
... but I noticed its not on steam. What gives? Any plans to go on steam that I don't know about?
Old 04-30-2012, 04:37 PM   #2
Nekomancer

Different developer, the game got ported by a third party. The license probably doesn't cover that.
Nekomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:24 AM   #3
rajjda

foolish decision. I was looking forward for it on mac. Now i'm not sure if I'll get it. Steamcloud is almost a necessity for me these days.
rajjda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:05 AM   #4
Janichsan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajjda View Post
foolish decision.
From your point of view, but not from Feral's. They'd like to make a living, too, you know?
Janichsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:20 PM   #5
stevethepocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janichsan View Post
From your point of view, but not from Feral's. They'd like to make a living, too, you know?
Not to mention Eidos, who can't really justify hiring a dedicated team of Mac developers to cater to a tiny percentage of their audience. The way the industry is going these days, we're pretty lucky Windows versions of games still exist at all, much less Mac ones, much much less native Mac ports.
stevethepocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:22 AM   #6
masterchef341

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajjda View Post
foolish decision. I was looking forward for it on mac. Now i'm not sure if I'll get it. Steamcloud is almost a necessity for me these days.
already stated, but this decision isn't foolish the porting company's perspective.

you either buy the game via steamplay (and therefore get the mac version), and the porting company gets no money.

or

you don't buy the game, and the porting company gets no money

or

you buy the mac version of the game from some store which sells it separately and they get paid.

---

the only possibility where they get paid comes from option #3. the only unfortunate part is that the porting company and primary publisher couldn't work out an equitable profit sharing arrangement to put the game up on steamplay. that may have, in fact, been foolish. it's probably a good idea for the future for publishing companies to return publishing rights for their games, and pay porting companies for their work directly, rather than license the game to them to port and publish separately. I'm not sure why that isn't more common.

Last edited by masterchef341: 05-07-2012 at 02:26 AM.
masterchef341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:04 AM   #7
apdonato

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterchef341 View Post
already stated, but this decision isn't foolish the porting company's perspective.

you either buy the game via steamplay (and therefore get the mac version), and the porting company gets no money.

or

you don't buy the game, and the porting company gets no money

or

you buy the mac version of the game from some store which sells it separately and they get paid.

---

the only possibility where they get paid comes from option #3. the only unfortunate part is that the porting company and primary publisher couldn't work out an equitable profit sharing arrangement to put the game up on steamplay. that may have, in fact, been foolish. it's probably a good idea for the future for publishing companies to return publishing rights for their games, and pay porting companies for their work directly, rather than license the game to them to port and publish separately. I'm not sure why that isn't more common.
I heard somewhere that if you buy a mac port through steamplay (Civ 5 for instance), download it right away and play it the same day, the profits go to the porting house.. but if you don't, profits go to the original publisher

i doubt this is true though
apdonato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:17 PM   #8
burns91

I honestly think putting these games on the App Store only is foolish. Every single big game that's gone steamplay rockets up the sales charts. Sure, some mac owners might already have a windows steam copy and not pay any money, but there's clearly a huge market of mac gamers who will give anything that comes out a shot
burns91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:52 AM   #9
nofing

Quote:
Originally Posted by burns91 View Post
I honestly think putting these games on the App Store only is foolish. Every single big game that's gone steamplay rockets up the sales charts. Sure, some mac owners might already have a windows steam copy and not pay any money, but there's clearly a huge market of mac gamers who will give anything that comes out a shot
Amazon
GamersGate
Feral Interactive's own shop
MacGameStore
MacUpdate

It would've been on Direct2Drive, too, but Gamefly (which bought Direct2Drive) hasn't launched Mac downloads yet.
And it will probably be available at the Aspyr store soon as well.

So there are clearly enough alternatives to Steam, when it comes to Mac games.

I agree, that Steamplay would be great, just to have the possible backup, if you ever wanted to buy a Windows PC again.
But that won't happen until the publishers start to see Macs as valid market (which would probably end up, in them making cider/wine ports, because hiring a porting house would be far too expensive and thus making it even worse for us).

It's far from being ideal, but it's still way better than the rubbish ports we get for other games.
nofing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:01 AM   #10
Janichsan

Quote:
I honestly think putting these games on the App Store only is foolish.
Unless of course they are reaching a significantly larger audience with the App Store that - as I might remind you - is already installed on any Mac with OS X Snow Leopard (10.6.8) and Lion.
Janichsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 03:09 PM   #11
GalakFyarr

Quote:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1644567

Ports made by third-party porting companies will NOT go on steam.
GalakFyarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:44 AM   #12
Un0va

They can't for legal reasons IIRC.

That's why Bioshock 1/2 and Borderlands GOTY are Windows only on Steam.
Un0va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:39 PM   #13
apdonato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Un0va View Post
They can't for legal reasons IIRC.

That's why Bioshock 1/2 and Borderlands GOTY are Windows only on Steam.
yes, and batman: AA, and cod 4, and dirt 2, and KOTOR, and dragon age 2, and rage, and a whole boat load of others...

i truly think steam is giving us mac gamers a bad name... pc gamers look on steam and see such a small selection of mac games and laugh at us, meanwhile 80% of all mac games worth getting aren't available on steam...
apdonato is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam for Mac > Third Party games