Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems

Old 05-01-2012, 08:37 AM   #1
Motion

Talking What is your opinion using SSD?

I've purchased 128GB Vertex 4 for my main drive. What is your feedback using SSD? Some people have told me I shouldn't have gone with OCZ. Give me some ease knowing I made a good decision lol.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:40 AM   #2
Bad_Motha

Banned
Let me ask; why buy and then ask if it's good, or what we think.
You've already made your choice.
Bad_Motha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:43 AM   #3
Motion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Motha View Post
Let me ask; why buy and then ask if it's good, or what we think.
You've already made your choice.
Irrelevant.

I still have the option to bring it back and exchange it. I just wanted feedback from those who have used the product before.
Motion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:52 AM   #4
Alshain

I think his point was, what is your feedback on using the SSD? If you have one, you should notice the difference. If you don't notice the difference, you may have made a bad choice.
Alshain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:55 AM   #5
Overclocker_

When I can get ~500GB SSD for a decent price, I'll buy one, and it will replace my hard drive.

Note, I do have a Corsair Force 3 60GB as my OS/browser drive, and a 1TB samsung

Last edited by Overclocker_: 05-01-2012 at 09:02 AM.
Overclocker_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:04 AM   #6
rocketsurgeon66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
I've purchased 128GB Vertex 4 for my main drive. What is your feedback using SSD? Some people have told me I shouldn't have gone with OCZ. Give me some ease knowing I made a good decision lol.
I haven't used it personally, but friends who have bought recent OCZ offerings have ended up taking them back and replacing with Intel SSDs due to bluescreens. There are, or were at least, issues with the SandForce chip and/or firmware used in these. The same chip is used by most manufacturers, so you may find that you have very limited choices if you want to completely avoid the issue.

My understanding is that some or all of these issues may have been corrected, and even Intel has been using it (with custom firmware) in some of their latest offerings. Also, not that OCZ have an exclusive deal with Sandforce that gives them first dibs on improvements, so if you do buy an SSD with the Sandforce chip, OCZ or Intel (who roll their own firmware) are probably your best bets.

So my advice would be to make sure to update the firmware before you install anything on it, and if you run into problems with the rig, at least you might want to consider this as a reason.

I'm told many people never got bit by the problem, and are reporting very good performance (also the reason Intel are now using the same controller), so probably you are fine.
rocketsurgeon66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:05 AM   #7
Doc_Gonzo

People probably told you not to go with an OCZ drive because of problems they had with the Sandforce controllers but i believe there's a different controller on the Vertex 4.
However, it's still untried tech, so you'll have to wait and see how it performs in terms of reliability and I personally wouldn't recommend them to anyone until they've been in use for a while.

The problem with OCZ is that when they had problems with their products they took ages to even acknowledge their was a problem and longer still to fix it.

Compare that to Crucial and the M4 firmware bug that was acknowledged quickly and fixed in weeks not months and I know which customer service I'd rather have

I wouldn't go back to a mechanical drive for my OS now though
Doc_Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:20 AM   #8
masterchef341

i think the vertex 4 should be fine
masterchef341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:32 AM   #9
TeKraken

V4 doesnt use the SandForce controller. As yet it's unproven Everest controller with Indilinx FW.
120gb Agility3 can be got for £90 ATM.

*edit*
If it works ok you'll love it!
TeKraken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:39 AM   #10
ChocoboLIVE

Banned
Vertex 3 MIOPS, great stuff. Don't have problems unlike most techer.
ChocoboLIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:09 AM   #11
bes

Personally I wont use OCZ anymore ...I have 2 Agility series that have stopped working..requires a USB boot in order to fix, and sometimes the drive still cant be fixed..

I switched to Plextor they are better: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...on=plextor+ssd
bes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:14 AM   #12
bejayel

Well, booting doesn't matter since I leave my computer turned on anyway.

Loading doesn't matter for me since I simply don't care and most games have a round timer anyway.

My computer responds near instantly anyway.

Waiting an extra 10 seconds for a transfer doesn't bother me either.

I find that purchasing an SSD is currently a waste of money.
bejayel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:23 AM   #13
venomblade89

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejayel View Post
Well, booting doesn't matter since I leave my computer turned on anyway.

Loading doesn't matter for me since I simply don't care and most games have a round timer anyway.

My computer responds near instantly anyway.

Waiting an extra 10 seconds for a transfer doesn't bother me either.

I feel the same. I'd only get an SSD after my PC was fully established with everything I could want in it, and I had money to blow, only then would I get an SSD.
venomblade89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:27 AM   #14
bes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejayel View Post
Nah ..not if your computer is already smokin fast...

I have 1 OS that is on a Hard Disk drive and I get annoyed because the drive has to power up first and I gotta wait for it..screw that..

My Windows 8 install is on an SSD... instant every single time..

Most steam games are on a Hard Drive, don't care if they take long to power up when I initially start playing because after that normally they are fairly fast..

SOME projects that require SSD type speed and some high end games are on SSD's and primary OS is also on an SSD.

That is mainly how things should work, obviously that's up to the user ..its their purchase after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by venomblade89 View Post
PC was fully established with everything I could want in it.
And that would never happen since technology is always changing ..mostly for the better..

Last edited by bes: 05-01-2012 at 10:31 AM.
bes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:02 PM   #15
venomblade89

Quote:
Originally Posted by bes View Post
Nah ..not if your computer is already smokin fast...

I have 1 OS that is on a Hard Disk drive and I get annoyed because the drive has to power up first and I gotta wait for it..screw that..

My Windows 8 install is on an SSD... instant every single time..

Most steam games are on a Hard Drive, don't care if they take long to power up when I initially start playing because after that normally they are fairly fast..

SOME projects that require SSD type speed and some high end games are on SSD's and primary OS is also on an SSD.

That is mainly how things should work, obviously that's up to the user ..its their purchase after all.

And that would never happen since technology is always changing ..mostly for the better..
I'm not talking on a technological advancement note, but that of my own personal volition. If I felt I had the best CPU/RAM/GPU that I could want at that moment, and had literally nothing else that I felt could be added to my rig, only then would I go out and get an SSD.
venomblade89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems