Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 05-15-2012, 10:26 PM   #1
Street Dog

Constant freeze-ups

I am having very frustrating times with Fallout 3 (yes, I'm behind on my games). These problems aren't unique to FO3, as I finished Oblivion awhile back, and had freeze-ups, but not like this. So a little history...

When I bought Oblivion from Steam, it ran pretty good. Once in a blue moon, I'd get a freeze-up, but nothing that wrecked the playing experience for me. However, when I quit the game, it ALWAYS froze rather than closing the window. Again, not a deal breaker, but it was annoying to have to start the task manager every single time I exited the game.

After Oblivion, I wanted to sort of go in 'game order,' so I bought Fallout 3. The first few times I played it, it worked fine, but soon it degraded to freezing within five minutes of playing. I can't play the game, and I don't know why.

Here are my specs (as reported by Can You Run It):

You Have: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz
You Have: 3.4 GHz Performance Rated at: 11.90 GHz
You Have: 8.2 GB (RAM)
You Have: GeForce GT 530 (VIDEO)

Features: Minimum attributes of your Video Card
Video RAM: Required: 256 MB You Have: 4.0 GB
3D Required: Yes You Have: Yes
Hardware T&L Required: Yes You Have: Yes
Pixel Shader version Required: 2.0 You Have: 5.0
Vertex Shader version Required: 2.0 You Have: 5.0

(sound checked out okay as well)

--------------------------------------------------

According to Can You Run It, I should be passing with flying colors. I've looked into updating my video and sound drivers, but am nervous about what site/program to trust (running canyourunit was a big step for me), and don't want to spend any money doing this.

Is there anything else I should be looking at? It seems like I've got a pretty sound system that should run Fallout3 like a song, but alas it doesn't. This also puts a damper on getting Skyrim or Diablo 3 as I don't know if I'm going to spend a bunch of money on games I can't play. Does downloading it from here rather than buying a physical copy matter?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Last edited by Street Dog: 05-15-2012 at 10:28 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:42 PM   #2
darthr2

If you want the latest drivers for you graphics card either go to the manufacturers website (company that made your graphics card) or http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us for latest drivers for your graphics card. All ways make sure you uninstall your old graphics card drivers first, before installing new drivers for your graphics card!
darthr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:20 PM   #3
Street Dog

Hmm... according to the nvidia link you provided (thanks for that - bookmarked!), I am running the most current driver. I checked 'Programs and Features' under the Control Panel to make sure I didn't see any extra drivers installed - there weren't any.

I am stumped as to what to look at next...
Street Dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips