Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Half-Life 2: Episode Two

Old 05-25-2012, 12:49 PM   #1
puding64

Talking The Best Gesture Control System Ever

I was on gizmodo and I saw something incredible (I though Really another kinect?!)but when i see its 200 times more accurate than Kinect i reconsider it

The full article is here
http://gizmodo.com/5911894/is-this-t...ol-system-ever
The video showing it on action is here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=_d6KuiuteIA
Old 05-25-2012, 01:00 PM   #2
Batman5678

Banned
I don't recognize that area in Half Life.
Also I can never imagine using anything other than my mouse and keyboard for gaming. I loathe other interface devices.
Batman5678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:07 PM   #3
Tulio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman5678 View Post
Also I can never imagine using anything other than my mouse and keyboard for gaming. I loathe other interface devices.
These are the cliffs near St Olga
Tulio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:13 PM   #4
BiO_MaN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulio View Post
These are the cliffs near St Olga
More specifically, from HL: Lost Coast
BiO_MaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:14 PM   #5
freeman4all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman5678 View Post
That's to bad, some never know what there missing. I own a pc, X360 and a vita. I can speak from personal experience that pc and consoles have there pros and cons.
I'm the type of person that tries new things and I love having the best of both worlds.
So I never have to wonder what I'm missing out on.
freeman4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:00 PM   #6
skinlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeman4all View Post
That's to bad, some never know what there missing. I own a pc, X360 and a vita. I can speak from personal experience that pc and consoles have there pros and cons.
I'm the type of person that tries new things and I love having the best of both worlds.
So I never have to wonder what I'm missing out on.
I'm the type of person that doesn't need to try everything, I get it right the first time
skinlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:33 AM   #7
GuardianAngel42

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinlo View Post
I'm the type of person that doesn't need to try everything, I get it right the first time
I play the majority of my PC games with a 360 controller.

Hate me, because you know you want to.
GuardianAngel42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:35 AM   #8
Haaselh0ff

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuardianAngel42 View Post

No ones gonna hate on you.... I just find it hard to play with the 360 controller because I have to go in and change the controls for it then figure the stick stuff... It's a load of work just setting it up for me. Love the Keyboard and mouse more than the 360 controller on PC/Mac.
Haaselh0ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:19 PM   #9
Dinosaur_Rex

Banned
Quote:

No one's gonna hate you, you are just gonna get destroyed by Keyboard mouse users on Multiplayer FPS. Any other game might be fine but not FPS.

Have you ever tried to succesfully rocket jump with a controller? I could on quake 3 on my 64, but It took me a lot of practice and with the keyboard it took me like 1 hour of practice.

Just to rocket jump not to do it fine. I still can't Rocket Jump with a controller.
Dinosaur_Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:58 AM   #10
sparks454alive

Quote:

Hate me, because you know you want to, PUKE.

Fixed.
sparks454alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:19 PM   #11
Leushenko

I genuinely pity the people who designed that.

It's been proven time and time again, any interface that requires you tol hold your hand up against a vertical, virtual surface is dead at launch. Nobody will use this for gaming for longer than the two minutes it takes to develop horrible shoulder cramps, and I don't see why it would attract designers either when we have tablets and styli now (y'know, the same, only without the problems).

This is essentially exactly the same as a control glove, only with no glove. Remember them? No? It's because they were completely unusable, even disregarding the fact that at that time the technology wasn't mature enough for them to actually work.
Leushenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:26 PM   #12
Tesher06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leushenko View Post
I genuinely pity the people who designed that.

It's been proven time and time again, any interface that requires you tol hold your hand up against a vertical, virtual surface is dead at launch. Nobody will use this for gaming for longer than the two minutes it takes to develop horrible shoulder cramps, and I don't see why it would attract designers either when we have tablets and styli now (y'know, the same, only without the problems).

This is essentially exactly the same as a control glove, only with no glove. Remember them? No? It's because they were completely unusable, even disregarding the fact that at that time the technology wasn't mature enough for them to actually work.
For gaming it might not be entirely useful, but there are numerous applications that could benefit from it such as the examples given in the article.
Tesher06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:29 PM   #13
Zekiran

Yeah it's more a matter of physical laziness than anything else. It's a very interesting development. Not sure that I'd use it, but it's in theory something that could have a lot of better applications than just games.
Zekiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:35 PM   #14
RezCascade

If VR weren't such a stupidly tiny market, this would be awesome. Imagine combining the hand simulation gestures with some of the new HMD's that are coming out. IMMERSHUN!

Won't happen though, no one would develop for such a system. But I'd buy the out of it if someone did...
RezCascade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:56 PM   #15
Zekiran

At least this is in the air. My development of it in a fictional world I wrote up involves basically an immersion in gel that picks up nerve impulses. Someone did make one like it, using water, actually, but small scale, and motion not nerves.
Zekiran is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Half-Life 2: Episode Two