Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 12:12 AM   #1
JFERNANDEZ84

Exclamation Library/Achievement Freedom suggestion

Hello there. My name is Jean, I'm a french-brazilian guy and I actually live in Brazil now. A few months ago, I gave up my home game consoles life to build a good PC. That made me centralize my gaming life in Valve's Steam for virtual gaming. Well, I'll cut the chase now, I really think Steam is the most advanced gaming platform to date but it's not yet perfect. But actually, It's really close to perfecting (for my wishes and needs). I'll share my thoughts with you guys in what Steam should improve. It's not something new since you actualy see it in Apple's Game Center. Well, here it is:

I'm a Steam user since 2009 and back then I used to buy lots of games that I never played or that I played very little. That makes my game library somewhat giant. Well, I don't like to see lots of games that I bought by impulse. the same goes to my games achievements that I played one time or so.

Well, what's my suggestions, you ask. It's really simple and shouldn't be hard to get it done:

01) Make it possible to remove (not just hide) the games you don't want to play anymore from our libraries.

02) And also, make it possible to delete our unwanted achievements when you delete the games from our libraries.

I know you guys will say "You can hide it" or something else. But that just won't do. I feel bothered and kinda disgusted by my impulsion to buy. I'm not saying that I want my money back or something like that, in fact, in the game page, I should be able to download it again if I want to. Well, I mentioned Apple's Game Center before because you can do this. When I delete a game that I don't want anymore, they ask me if I want to remove the achievements for that game too. That's simply amazing and it's a thing that Valve should implement in the almost perfect Steam.

Please, Valve's Steam member, consider this.

My best regards and wishes,
Jean
Old 06-15-2012, 01:24 AM   #2
Sharkinu

I cant see a good reason for someone to delete an achievement so I wont comment.

But I'd love an option to hide games(not remove). Origin has this option.

I know that you can say "mark as favorite and show favorites only" or "tag as unwanted game and collapse that category". But that's not a real hiding option. The category solution doesn't work with Grid View.

Friends list has hiding option for offline friends; it doesn't make an offline category, it just hide completely online friends. Since the friends list got the tag feature which functions like the category feature for game library, I think library could use a hide function too.

make it so you can right click a game and choose "Hide" or something similar. This way it wont be shown in detailed/list/grid view in our library but is still visible in steamcommunity. And add an option to game library or a checkbox in setting to "Show hidden games".

This would be usefull to hide games you don't want or extra entries in your library you don't need, like hide the Mac entries for grand theft auto, or The Ship Tutorial, or beta version of Dota2,CS:S,TF2.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:50 AM   #3
JFERNANDEZ84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkinu View Post
I cant see a good reason for someone to delete an achievement so I wont comment.

But I'd love an option to hide games(not remove). Origin has this option.

I know that you can say "mark as favorite and show favorites only" or "tag as unwanted game and collapse that category". But that's not a real hiding option. The category solution doesn't work with Grid View.

Friends list has hiding option for offline friends; it doesn't make an offline category, it just hide completely online friends. Since the friends list got the tag feature which functions like the category feature for game library, I think library could use a hide function too.

make it so you can right click a game and choose "Hide" or something similar. This way it wont be shown in detailed/list/grid view in our library but is still visible in steamcommunity. And add an option to game library or a checkbox in setting to "Show hidden games".

This would be usefull to hide games you don't want or extra entries in your library you don't need, like hide the Mac entries for grand theft auto, or The Ship Tutorial, or beta version of Dota2,CS:S,TF2.
When I say "remove" from library" it doesn't mean "remove from purchase history". It's not the same thing. And I don't want to use the categories to 'hide' or 'collapse' unwanted games.

And about the achievements, they're mine and I should be able to throw them away if I want. Well, it's not complicated at all implementing all this. If Apple did it on iPhone, why in the earth Steam wouldn't? It's all about freedom and delivering it to the users.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:04 AM   #4
Anarchisteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFERNANDEZ84 View Post
When I say "remove" from library" it doesn't mean "remove from purchase history". It's not the same thing. And I don't want to use the categories to 'hide' or 'collapse' unwanted games.
Could you perhaps explain exactly what it is you do want. It seems you want to be able to delete games from your account but without having them deleted from your account...?
Old 06-18-2012, 05:35 AM   #5
jsmucha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchisteve View Post
Could you perhaps explain exactly what it is you do want. It seems you want to be able to delete games from your account but without having them deleted from your account...?
-Up the reading comprehension good sir.

-He is suggesting the possibility to remove a game from your library if you want to. Think of your Steam library as.. book shelf at home while the Steam Store is your local library. He wants to take a book that he bought off his book shelf and put it back in his local library so it will no longer be on his book shelf. If he wants to, for whatever reason, play again, he just goes back to the local library and takes the book back and puts it on his book shelf.

-Another solution that could be possible for OP would be that the Steam Library shows only installed games, meaning when you buy a game you have to go to the Store page to download it and it would then be put in your library. Then when you uninstall it you would need to find it again through the Store Page to install it.

-That said, I do not really want what the OP is suggesting (I cannot really see a way to offer both options either), because I want Valve to improve the user experience with our Library and give us easier sorting options, more sorting customization. Allow non-list users more features. That sort of thing.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:28 PM   #6
V2Blast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmucha View Post
-Up the reading comprehension good sir.

-He is suggesting the possibility to remove a game from your library if you want to. Think of your Steam library as.. book shelf at home while the Steam Store is your local library. He wants to take a book that he bought off his book shelf and put it back in his local library so it will no longer be on his book shelf. If he wants to, for whatever reason, play again, he just goes back to the local library and takes the book back and puts it on his book shelf.

-Another solution that could be possible for OP would be that the Steam Library shows only installed games, meaning when you buy a game you have to go to the Store page to download it and it would then be put in your library. Then when you uninstall it you would need to find it again through the Store Page to install it.
...There's already an "Installed Games" view ("Mac Games" is also in the same list for Mac users)

(Also, your library analogy is flawed. You can't "re-own" a book if you give it to the library (though you could borrow it). Probably more like putting it in the attic or somewhere else completely out of view.)
Old 06-18-2012, 04:20 AM   #7
GDL

Quote:
01) Make it possible to remove (not just hide) the games you don't want to play anymore from our libraries.
EDIT: Just seen your other thread, so my previous answer was void.

I like the idea in theory, but practice might be confusing for the users, while I'd use it myself and would like it within the client, I can't see it being done.

Quote:
02) And also, make it possible to delete our unwanted achievements when you delete the games from our libraries.
100% agreed.

With Valve, I've noticed that it's either on or off, they have no middle ground and they hate giving the user options.

Last edited by GDL: 06-18-2012 at 05:13 AM.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas