Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > GRID

Old 06-17-2008, 01:05 PM   #1
Harald

Question The game speed changes.

I have this weird problem were the speed of my game changes all randomly. I can drive for a few seconds whitout anything happening, and then suddenly it's like the game fast forwards. everything just goes faster. And then it might run in slow motion for a few seconds and then back to normal.

The game ran perfectly in the beginning though. But after a crash this started happening. I updated to V1.1, but that didn't help at all.

Do anyone know what could cause this?

specs: AMD Opteron 175, GF 7950GT, asus a8n-sli, Soundblaster Audigy 4.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:46 PM   #2
GamerGawd

Its your vid card.

Upgrade.
GamerGawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 08:18 PM   #3
Buxaroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerGawd View Post
Its your vid card.

Upgrade.

Your a moron. Has ZERO to do with the videocard. This is an issue that has been going on for nearly a year. It doesn't matter WHAT settings you use, doesnt matter WHAT res you play in, doesn't matter WHAT videocard you use.

The issue is simple: RAM. Every thing points to RAM being the issue. This game was programmed by subhumans. I have ZERO problems with any other game. I run FarCry 2 at max settings. I run 3x EVE Online clients at one time. I run Fallout 3 at max settings. It has NOTHING TO DO WITH VIDEOCARD OR DRIVERS.

I have been looking for a solution to this problem for the last year or so and not one thing that anyone has suggested works. I even bought a new motherboard and a 8800GT (not for GRID, other games) and still the SAME issue. I added another 4 gigs of the same RAM, which is the only thing I did not change. Ergo: RAM issue resulting from shoddy programming by monkeys. If it was my RAM at fault, then it would effect SEVERAL games, not just GRID.

If I am having ZERO problems with ANY other game, and only GRID is the one with the problem: IT IS GRID PROBLEM NOT HARDWARE PROBLEM.

Excuse me if I come off as an : I have every right to. I bought this game when it came out originally on Steam, so I DESERVE to and moan all I want.

ps, here is my hardware, nothing is overclocked, played with low settings to max settings and still same issue regardless of the settings:

Intel Duo Core 2 E6750
A-DATA 2GB 240-Pin (PC2 6400) ADQVE1B16 x 4 (8 gigs)
8800GT 512 ram EVGA
Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45
I tend to play the game at 1920*1080 res on my 23" Acer but res doesn't matter, I tried it with variable res settings. I also played the game on my previous x800 ATI and it did the same thing, so it's NOT a nVidia/ATI difference.

And yes, of course I did a clean install when I switched out the videocard/mobo and tried several different drivers to no avail. I ahve the same problem if I ran it on XP 64 bit or on my current Vista 64.

Last edited by Buxaroo: 07-12-2009 at 08:23 PM.
Buxaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 08:33 PM   #4
Buxaroo

And here is the GRID official forums sticky.....notice how no one has a solution and there are zero responses from the devs:

http://community.codemasters.com/for...d.php?t=299075
Buxaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:09 AM   #5
cplcarlman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buxaroo View Post
Your a moron. Has ZERO to do with the videocard. This is an issue that has been going on for nearly a year. It doesn't matter WHAT settings you use, doesnt matter WHAT res you play in, doesn't matter WHAT videocard you use.

The issue is simple: RAM. Every thing points to RAM being the issue. This game was programmed by subhumans. I have ZERO problems with any other game. I run FarCry 2 at max settings. I run 3x EVE Online clients at one time. I run Fallout 3 at max settings. It has NOTHING TO DO WITH VIDEOCARD OR DRIVERS.

I have been looking for a solution to this problem for the last year or so and not one thing that anyone has suggested works. I even bought a new motherboard and a 8800GT (not for GRID, other games) and still the SAME issue. I added another 4 gigs of the same RAM, which is the only thing I did not change. Ergo: RAM issue resulting from shoddy programming by monkeys. If it was my RAM at fault, then it would effect SEVERAL games, not just GRID.

If I am having ZERO problems with ANY other game, and only GRID is the one with the problem: IT IS GRID PROBLEM NOT HARDWARE PROBLEM.

Excuse me if I come off as an : I have every right to. I bought this game when it came out originally on Steam, so I DESERVE to and moan all I want.

ps, here is my hardware, nothing is overclocked, played with low settings to max settings and still same issue regardless of the settings:

Intel Duo Core 2 E6750
A-DATA 2GB 240-Pin (PC2 6400) ADQVE1B16 x 4 (8 gigs)
8800GT 512 ram EVGA
Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45
I tend to play the game at 1920*1080 res on my 23" Acer but res doesn't matter, I tried it with variable res settings. I also played the game on my previous x800 ATI and it did the same thing, so it's NOT a nVidia/ATI difference.

And yes, of course I did a clean install when I switched out the videocard/mobo and tried several different drivers to no avail. I ahve the same problem if I ran it on XP 64 bit or on my current Vista 64.
I completely agree.

It is not a hardware issue.

I turned AA off completely and it has zero effect on the slowdowns. The game is unplayable on certain tracks. This is especially true on the Togue (or whatever the head to head uphill/downhill races are called) tracks. I get consistent slowdowns all the time on those tracks. The tracks that are close-in, I usually have no issues whatsoever.

If it's a draw-distance issues, I wish they would at least patch it so that I could reduce the draw distance.

I only paid $15 for this game. It is a cool looking game, but I can't help but feel ripped off at this point.

FIX YOUR CRAP CODEMASTERS!

EDIT:

I updated my Geforce 9800GT to the latest Nvidia drivers last night. This helped reduce, but did not eliminate, the slowdown issues. I probably get 10 - 15 seconds of good racing, and then a slight slowdown now. It is still enough of an issue to nearly ruin the game. If this occurred on all tracks the game would be complete waste, but like I said, it usually occurs on the tracks that have expansive views (Lemans, the togue tracks).

Last edited by cplcarlman: 07-13-2009 at 01:49 PM. Reason: added info
cplcarlman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:11 PM   #6
isolated1

Turn off ambient occulusion in the NVIDIA control panel for GRID, and the game will not slow down.
isolated1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:11 AM   #7
Domobomb

I used to get this with my old 7950GT.

I have a 9800GTX, and a 4850 now, and they both run GRID very well.
Old 06-20-2008, 05:09 AM   #8
Shiwl

Banned
With the new official ATI 8.6 drivers & 3870 I can say have experienced something similar. It only lasted half a race and then quit. But so far the PC crashes have stopped. Knock on wood. I'd upgrade to two 3870's because I already have another one, but unfortunately GRID dose not support SLI, or in my case Crossfire, that is having two video cards.
Shiwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 06:46 AM   #9
Harald

I don't see how my vid card could make the game speed up and slow down randomly.
but after turning off all the AA it seems to work well 99% of the time.
The weird thing is that it worked perfectly the first day with 4xAA and pretty high graphics settings.
Old 06-21-2008, 01:45 PM   #10
fermentation

I have also have noticed inconsistent game speed during some races. I have a quad core system with two 8800 GT NVidia cards. I can run the game very well when it is not crashing. I generally get a crash about every 20 minutes or so, and 20 minutes is not as bad as it was initially. For a while there, most of my races would end via blue screen or crash to desktop rather than by drive across the finish line.

For those of you considering buying this game, it is a lot of fun when the game works. I would suggest that you wait until they release a patch that clears these issues up--it would be a lot less frustrating.

Does Steam even have a return policy?

Intel Quad core
2 NVIDIA 8800 GT
Sound Blaster X-Fi
Old 06-21-2008, 04:52 PM   #11
Zeke129

Banned
With that quad core/SLI rig, the issues you are describing sound a heck of a lot like heat issues. With that many high performance components, you're probably melting something.

This game works fine. All issues can be attributed to driver, hardware, or user error.
Zeke129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 08:30 PM   #12
Shiwl

Banned
lol hes melting something okay, its called GRID.
fermentation make sure your SLI is off, the game is to weak to handle it / Doesn't even support it. Read the game README.
Shiwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 11:17 AM   #13
shysilencer

slow downs

http://community.codemasters.com/for...d.php?t=290166

I believe this forum post describes what much of us are dealing with. inexplicable slowdowns during some time playing the game.
If steam has uploaded the patch then the problem is still there.

Specs:
nForce 780i motherboard
Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS *OC*
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz
3GB Ram

InGame Settings:
1680x1050,4xmsAA, details highest(shadows, winds, headlights, etc...)

Now whats strange is that it only happens after playing a 1-2 tracks. I know it's not settings because same things happens with settings at their lowest with lower resolution and all. It's not heating either, temperature stays at a constant temp. of 35 degrees Celsius. Any1 find or read of a solution or any patch in the near future that will resolve this, or if even codemasters is aware of the problem?
shysilencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 10:55 PM   #14
fermentation

Because this game doesn't support SLI, it was driving one of my graphics card tremendously hard and its temperature would slowly climb to problematic levels ( upper 90s C) within about 10-15 minutes of gameplay. New heat sinks for my 8800 GT's( Thermaltake Duorb) brought the temperature down by about 30C and seem to have helped ease the game speed problem as well.

Things are not perfect, though. I still catch the occasional hick-up where the game seems to momentarily pause, but the game now falls under playable--I am still hoping for another patch to be released.

So, if you haven't done so already, double check those graphics card temperatures!
Old 06-29-2008, 04:54 PM   #15
xanic

I have the slowing too on the demo, but its not too bad. I've gotten so many crashes with this game though, but after a while i just figured its the summer heat and my overclock. I got back to stock speed and no more crashes

I'm gonna get new drivers and stuff too

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > GRID