Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Mass Effect series

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 01-16-2009, 02:18 PM   #1
Yoshiro

Tripwire Interactive
Bring Down The Sky - Steam Release

To prepare for this please register your copy at the Bioware website. To find your cd key, simply right-click on the game in your "My Games" tab and select "View Game CD Key".

Now navigate to this page - http://masseffect.bioware.com/me1/ga...thesky_pc.html Follow all three steps and download Bring Down The Sky.

For some of those having issues, it is suggested you verify the cache files within steam and launch the game once, then attempt to install the additional content.

Last edited by KrisK: 01-06-2010 at 10:16 AM.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:52 PM   #2
Sweetz

*Update*

The info below (and indeed the rest of this thread) is now out of date. Bioware has updated the BDtS installer to work normally with the Steam version of the game. Just follow the instructions at the link in Yoshiro's post above, no special steps are needed for the Steam version anymore.

---original post follows---
In order to register your game as Yoshiro mentioned, follow the instructions 1 and 2 ONLY on this page.

For the time being, DO NOT DOWNLOAD Bring Down the Sky FROM THAT PAGE!

The installer there is currently for the disc/D2D/EA download versions of Mass Effect only, but the first two steps will explain how to register your game to get your BDtS CD key, which will work with the Steam version installer when it's available.

Last edited by Sweetz: 11-16-2010 at 03:01 PM.
Sweetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 03:05 PM   #3
stygersj

uh oh

I tried to download before you responded sweeetz, now my product key is invalid, I was able to shortcut without it by launching from steam but the key itself is no longer in the steam/steamapp/etc... folder

any ideas where I could go to reget my key....

oh and brilliant me I forgot to get the reciept for ME.

so any ideas?
Old 10-19-2009, 05:28 AM   #4
cocokiwi

Cd Key

Quote:
Originally Posted by stygersj View Post
I tried to download before you responded sweeetz, now my product key is invalid, I was able to shortcut without it by launching from steam but the key itself is no longer in the steam/steamapp/etc... folder

so any ideas?
Yep!

The key is still there,you get locked out when you select it,BUT it will come back after restarting steam!

Dennis
Old 01-10-2010, 10:06 AM   #5
GlennANicholson

Red face

Quote:

so any ideas?
Been having the same problem as well, add on content says license has been used too many times and you need to purchase a new license. I have downloade the content via Steams instructions here. How can you fix the DRM on the game but not the content. I say that EA needs to be slapped with the dumbest idea of the century, for the limited install restrictions they have forced us users to deal with. I wonder if they have learned the lesson with ME 2???
If any of the STEAM DEVS read this please answer

Glenn
Old 01-05-2010, 02:57 PM   #6
Fwapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetz View Post
In order to register your game as Yoshiro mentioned, follow the instructions 1 and 2 ONLY on this page.

The installer there is currently for the disc/D2D/EA download versions of Mass Effect only, but the first two steps will explain how to register your game to get your BDtS CD key, which will work with the Steam version installer when it's available.
I think this post (the second in the thread) should be deleted as the information in it is now incorrect and it is therefore very confusing, especially considering most people only read the first two posts.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:56 AM   #7
Tes4o

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetz View Post
*Update*

The info below is now out of date. Bioware has updated the installer to work with the Steam version of the game.

---original post follows---

The page you are looking for does not exist.
Huh?
Tes4o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 04:35 PM   #8
Sweetz

I'm not sure exactly what you're referring to.

The retail BDtS doesn't even install on the Steam version of the game, so I don't know what you could have done. If you installed the standalone patch (which does install) or did something else and the game isn't running for some reason, just do a Verify Game Content to get it working again. This should fix the main game CD key as well.

If you need to see your BDtS CD key, you may view it at any time on this page by logging in with the Bioware forum account that you created.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:12 PM   #9
stygersj

I did install the stand alone, however upon completion ME wouldn't play due to the key missing, so I relaunched from steam(instead of desktop icon) and behold it launched, upon further investigation the product key for ME was in the ME configuration APP (previously it was not there after installing standalone.)
anyhoo it is fixed sorry for the confusion.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:48 PM   #10
Gear853

Quote:
I did install the stand alone, however upon completion ME wouldn't play due to the key missing, so I relaunched from steam(instead of desktop icon) and behold it launched, upon further investigation the product key for ME was in the ME configuration APP (previously it was not there after installing standalone.)
anyhoo it is fixed sorry for the confusion.
so the standalone download works for Steam verison of Mass effect?

i just want to be clear of that, before i download it. =)
Old 01-20-2009, 10:24 AM   #11
Sweetz

*Update*

The info below is now out of date. The updated BDtS installer has finally been uploaded my be downloaded and installed from site linked at the top of this thread.

-----------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear853 View Post
so the standalone download works for Steam verison of Mass effect?
No it does not! *sigh* Let me clarify all this confusion.

The current BDtS installer on Bioware's site WILL NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE INSTALLED ON THE STEAM VERSION OF THE GAME.

On the same page there's a link to the standalone patch only (I presume this is what stygersj was referring to as the "standalone"). The patch will install on the Steam version BUT IT SHOULD NOT! Mass Effect, as with all Steam games, is already patched to the latest version. Installing the standalone patch on the Steam version will only serve to screw it up.

Bioware is planning on getting a Steam version of BDtS out this week, possibly even today. Announcements will be made here and on the Bioware forums, but at this time YOU SHOULD NOT BE DOWNLOADING ANYTHING.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europhoria View Post
2GB of extra content is quite a bit. I wonder what extra stuff it offers.
It's 310MB (at least the English version), not 2GB. They need to upload multiple versions for the various languages in which the game is available. It's around 2GB in total for all the localized versions.

The extra content is just a new sidequest with a new race and some new locations, but it's otherwise similar to the rest of the game. It takes about about 1-2 hours to play through.

Last edited by Sweetz: 01-20-2009 at 09:24 PM.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:15 AM   #12
Europhoria

2GB of extra content is quite a bit. I wonder what extra stuff it offers.
Europhoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 03:51 AM   #13
Kauffman

Can anyone tell me if BDTS is out on valve or if the download will work now on the Bioware site ?

kauffman
Old 01-20-2009, 07:07 AM   #14
Yoshiro

Tripwire Interactive
Doesn't look like it yet, watch the first post in this thread. I'll keep it updated.
Yoshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:25 AM   #15
StingingVelvet

My Mass Effect updated this morning, oddly. I guess that wasn't BDtS though.
StingingVelvet is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Mass Effect series