Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 09-27-2009, 02:24 PM   #1
Christoffah1991

Steam.exe (main exception): To run steam, you must first connect to the internet.

Hello,

One week ago i installed steam, and since then i haven't been able to launch it. When i do, it stucks at "Updating" for about 2-3 minutes, but then its cancelled and the error "Steam.exe (main exception): To run Steam, you must first connect to the Internet" appears.

I run Vista x64, but have also tried it on my other computer which runs XP, and the same error occurs.

I have tried to:
*Run the application as an administrator.
*Turn off the Windows Firewall/Defender.
*Disable AVG Antivirus.
*Restart router.
*Check that the right ports in the router configuration are opened.
*Connect to the internet with both cable and wireless.
*Delete ClientRegistry.blob.

Worth to mention is that i've talked to several person who'se got the same ISP Subscription as me, but nobody has the same problem.
I have NOT tried to connect my computer directly without going through the router, because the router should not be the problem.

-Is this steam related?
-Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Last edited by Christoffah1991: 09-27-2009 at 02:33 PM.

Old 09-28-2009, 03:13 AM   #2
Christoffah1991

bump? :S *10chars*
Old 09-29-2009, 06:34 AM   #3
Blindjonn

I'm also having this problem on my Uni network, anyone have any idea how to fix it?
Blindjonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 01:53 PM   #4
docd87

I have the exact same problem as described by OP. I have windows 7 rc installed. I just installed steam today on a brand new computer and it won't update after install. Just stuck at 0%. This is very frustrating because ALL my games (like 50+) are on steam. So this is for me a BIG problem!
HELP!
Old 09-29-2009, 02:19 PM   #5
Astaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindjonn View Post
I'm also having this problem on my Uni network, anyone have any idea how to fix it?
This is probably another problem. Universities often have closed/blocked some services and ports to prevent the use of online games, messengers etc.

Or are you talking about the connection in the dorm?
In this case I would test the ports functionality manually and talk to the responsible person for the (dorm/university network).
Astaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 12:55 PM   #6
Redronnie1963

Steam.exe (MainException) ...

To run steam you must first connect to the internet

Having the same problem on two separate pcs both linked directly to a wireless router which I have restarted.
I have tried most things in fact - deleting Clientregistry.Blob, reinstalling, using the Windows Installer Clean Up Utility

I can play Left 4 Dead (I have the DVD) but I can't play Dark Crusade. I managed to get it working temporarily last night by clicking on the Dark Crusade.exe in the SteamApps folder which then started to update steam and the steam platform.

Hasn't worked today though

Any hints would be much appreciated - Thanks
Old 09-29-2009, 02:12 PM   #7
CoenRock

Look to resolve this problem i do this:

Delete this "ClientRegistry.blob" BUT THIS IS THE TRICK -- > normally reinstaling Steam over an old instalation could not correct the problem so you have to use the tool of "Control Panel" -- > Add or Remove Programs -- > remove Steam and reinstalling, then try again, tell me if this work!

GL!
Old 01-04-2011, 03:54 PM   #8
1337 Lobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoenRock View Post
Look to resolve this problem i do this:

Delete this "ClientRegistry.blob" BUT THIS IS THE TRICK -- > normally reinstaling Steam over an old instalation could not correct the problem so you have to use the tool of "Control Panel" -- > Add or Remove Programs -- > remove Steam and reinstalling, then try again, tell me if this work!

GL!
didnt work for me starting to get really annoyed
Old 07-01-2011, 01:52 PM   #9
HKotze

The solution is on the 1st page of this problem and his name is CoenRock. follow his steps ir works. THX dude ur a life saver. It work just like u said

Last edited by HKotze: 07-01-2011 at 01:54 PM. Reason: more information
Old 10-01-2009, 09:53 AM   #10
ToNi

I have the same problem for 2 weeks .
But it's ing annoying :
I can log in to steam on weekends but on weekdays i can only log in at 20:00-21:00 O_o
A have win 7 and i try it on vista but it isnt work
Old 10-03-2009, 04:12 PM   #11
ttran

This is happening to me when I'm trying to install Steam. The odd thing is that on my desktop, which is under the same wireless internet can install it perfectly fine but my laptop is having this connection issue.

When i tried to copy the files over with the updated Steam files, same thing occurs. Anyone have any idea how to solve this?
Old 10-03-2009, 04:23 PM   #12
roix

Hello I get this error too, Im using wifi connection from neighbor, all was fire before I got L4D. I tried fresh steam install, clean registry, disable firewall, delete Clientregistry.Blob
Steam.exe (main exception): To run steam, you must first connect to the internet
http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/8793/27864508.jpg

Last edited by roix: 10-03-2009 at 04:28 PM.
Old 10-03-2009, 09:59 PM   #13
bodiggly

Hey everyone, I am getting this error too and i am getting pretty frustrated with steam. I had steam installed and working on my computer until i received a virus and had to do a factory reset on my hard drive in order to same my computer. I did not do anything with steam i just wiped my whole hard drive back to factory settings. I am know currently trying to reinstall it, but every time i try to install it after the initial setup it gives me this error. I have tried reinstalling, disabling my firewall, running as administrator, but still no progress. If anyone can help, it would be most appreciated.
thanks
Old 10-04-2009, 01:06 AM   #14
VBProject

Banned
Maybe you forgot to uncheck "Don't save account credentials on this computer" in Settings.
VBProject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 04:21 PM   #15
bodiggly

yea i didn't do that, so there's no way to get steam back on my computer?

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips