Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Longest Journey, The

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-11-2009, 01:19 PM   #33
thetrickster

I realize that the original post was a long time ago but I wanted to say something in favor of TLJ.

I grew up as a fan of adventure games and played (and still own) most of the Sierra and Lucasarts titles. I hadn't played TLJ until this past year and it blew me away. It could be that I'm a sucker for the sci-fi genre but I was wrapped up in the story from the get go. I thought the world that was created was really interesting. And maybe it was because I hadn't played a new adventure game in long time but the game seemed really big and consistently took you to new and interesting locations to explore.

I agree that the voice acting had some weak spots but honestly I was impatient and had the subtitles on and skipped through a lot of the talking since I could read faster than they spoke so that didn't really bother me.

When you look at the adventure games that are consistently mentioned as people's favorites (Sam and Max, Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, Day of the Tentacle, etc) they're largely humor based games with strong writing. I thought the writing in TLJ was strong but tone-wise it's very different from those games so I can see how it's not everyone's cup of tea. I don't know if I'd say it's the best of all time (I have a special fondness for the Space Quest series from when I was a kid) but it's probably in my top 3-5.

[Phredster, I remember the stone puzzle being tricky and I can't remember the exact solution but see if this page helps: http://www.uhs-hints.com/uhsweb/hints/tlj/2057-2.php]

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Longest Journey, The