Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 11-20-2009, 04:28 AM   #1
hkwh01

Banned
Why we can't change username

I register the steam account years ago, and now I hate the username, eveytime i login i need to see it. Why steam users only can change their nickname? Sometimes people want a better username while login feels happier?
Old 11-20-2009, 06:21 AM   #2
lead_px

That's just not possible. You will not ever find on the internet any service that allows you to change your username. Not a single one. A username is an unique ID that identifies you. Changing it is the same as changing identity. Thats why in most countries is very difficult to change your name (real name), and only some special cases are allowed (foreign name for example).
lead_px is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 07:18 AM   #3
Fromez

Quote:
Originally Posted by lead_px View Post
That's just not possible. You will not ever find on the internet any service that allows you to change your username. Not a single one. A username is an unique ID that identifies you. Changing it is the same as changing identity. Thats why in most countries is very difficult to change your name (real name), and only some special cases are allowed (foreign name for example).
You're wrong.

Changing names in real life are easy peasy (in England, anyway); you just need to go to your lawyer and create a deed poll in which you relinquish your old name for a new one. Have you actually changed your name? I have, to make my surname my dad's surname.

With other services, you can change your usernames and email address.

EA and Direct2Drive allow multiple usernames as long as they're associated with an email on record (which you can change). No problem security-wise there.

Impulse, a very similar program to Steam (it's a game client used to sell games) is associated to the user via their email. In this case, the email is the username. However, you can change your account's email by shooting Impulse an email. No problem security-wise there.

With a special effects software I own, I can change my username as many times as I like on the developer's website. No problem security-wise there.

You can change your eBay username.

There is an obvious demand by customers to have their Steam usernames changed, but they're turned down for security reasons when other services have no such problems.

Bizarre.

Last edited by Fromez: 11-20-2009 at 07:22 AM.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:50 AM   #4
Jstallings

You can't change it, but it shouldn't bother you because of nicknames.

You could just do auto login if your PC isn't public.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:17 AM   #5
m00d

Quote:
Originally Posted by lead_px View Post
A username is an unique ID that identifies you.
I hope to god that isn't true, in fact it won't be. A username is a human readable/memorable unique ID, it's NOT the *actual* unique key that is used. There'll be an incremental numeric ID for that.
m00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:19 AM   #6
Fromez

Saying you can't change it (because Steam says so) is an unhelpful response. People should remove their wannabe mod hats, stop tip-toeing around issues like this and ask why do Steam have this stance when there are plenty of users who would be grateful for a different policy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00d View Post
I hope to god that isn't true, in fact it won't be. A username is a human readable/memorable unique ID, it's NOT the *actual* unique key that is used. There'll be an incremental numeric ID for that.
Yep this is most probably the case. On Steam's end it should be perfectly technically possible to allow username renaming without affecting an account's permanent ID in their database.

Last edited by Fromez: 11-20-2009 at 10:22 AM.
Old 11-21-2009, 02:00 AM   #7
hkwh01

Banned
do you think steam will have this feature in the future?allow people change their username?
hkwh01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 02:47 AM   #8
Mangr0v3

There was a post around here that explained it better, but apparently in Valve's databases, your username is often used to identify you as a user, instead of your community ID.
Mangr0v3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips