Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 12-21-2009, 09:39 AM   #1
Cerviperus

Question Bought Torchlight - Now I can't log in.

Alright, I'm having a bit of a problem, and for the life of me I can't figure it out. Everything was working fine until I bought Torchlight through the SteamStore yesterday afternoon, through the Steam client on my PC. I proceeded to go to the MyGames list, and attempt to install Torchlight. It would attempt to get the file list, then it would error out saying the Steam servers were busy, to try again later. So I did, multiple times, and never had any luck. So I gave up until this morning.

When I tried again, and was met with the same error, I went to the FAQs like a good little boy, and tried deleting the ClientRegistry.blob file. I re-ran Steam, and it grabbed the newest update. Then I'm forced to re-login to Steam. Now I can't even log into the client, it simply tells me it cannot connect to Steam's servers. I know the logon credentials are correct because I can log into the account at SteamPowered.com and view the games attached to my account.

Here's the thing... absolutely nothing has changed on this machine between it working fine, and not working fine, other than buying Torchlight, and Steam grabbing the latest update.

Here is what I have tried thus far, to no avail...

PC was verified to be in my router's DMZ.
Client.Registry.blob file was deleted and the client re-updated.
Completely removed and reinstalled Steam client.
Steam.exe re-added to my Firewall exceptions.
Verified Steam program folder was not "Read Only".
Turned off firewall completely.

Any thoughts? I also find it odd that if I tell the client to recover my account, it says it has e-mailed me, but I never receive the e-mail...

Last edited by Cerviperus: 12-21-2009 at 10:17 AM.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:11 AM   #2
KubanitoS

Your firewall must be blocking your Steam client. It can happen, even if you added the client to the exceptions. When you updated the client it got a new version number and perhaps your firewall didn't recognise it.

Same with the e-mail. How can you receive an e-mail if the client can't communicate with the net?
KubanitoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:15 AM   #3
Cerviperus

I would believe that if two things weren't true...

1) I re-added Steam to the firewall exceptions AFTER the update.
2) I tried launching Steam with the firewall completely shut off, and still no luck.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:41 AM   #4
Cerviperus

Just for grins, I went back through and manually added Steam.exe, and all TCP and UDP ports to my firewall's allowed list. Not that it would do much, seeing as how I still receive the error with the firewall turned off.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:56 AM   #5
Cerviperus

Alright, how's this for strange...

If I attempt to log into the client with the wrong username/password combination, I get the following message:

"Login to Steam failed. Either the specified account does not exist, or the password was wrong. Please check your account name and password and try again."

If I attempt to log into the client with the correct credentials, I get the following:

"Could not connect to Steam network. This could be due to a problem with your internet connection, or with the Steam network."

Now tell me, if it can get to the server long enough to tell me my credentials are wrong, why can't it connect when they're right?
Old 12-21-2009, 12:51 PM   #6
Fatdude

@Cerviperus

You cant log in to steam or you cant install the game?

If you cant install the game and it says servers are busy change the download location. Go to File -> Seetings -> Downloads -> Change Download Region

If you cant connect to steam and ONLY steam it may be your internet provider.
It happenedd to me a few weeks ago.I connect steam server via a cable that goes thru telia area in italy.It goes down time to time and when that happens i cant connect to steam.

"Login to Steam failed. Either the specified account does not exist, or the password was wrong. Please check your account name and password and try again."

This was the same error i got when i wasnt able to connect steam because of the broken cables or some other thing.Its your internet provider.
Fatdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:54 PM   #7
Cerviperus

My internet connection is fine. I'm on it typing this message. I can't get logged into the actual Steam client. I have no problems running anything else Internet related... games, applications, etc. The Steam client is the only issue. It started out as not being able to install the game, so I reinstalled the client. At that point I had to re-log into the client, and I can't. So here I sit.
Old 12-22-2009, 05:57 AM   #8
Cerviperus

FIXED IT!

Don't ask me why this worked, but I removed my PC from my router's DMZ (putting it back BEHIND the firewall), and it let me connect. Go figure...

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips