Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 12-31-2009, 11:00 PM   #136
robothive

I found out how to exclude stuff in Norton 360:

1. Click Settings.
2. Click Virus and Spyware Protection.
3. Click File Exclusions tab.
4. Under Which disks, folders, or files to exclude from risk scanning, click New.
5. Select the folder you want to exclude and click OK.
6. Under Which disks, folders, or files to exclude from Auto-Protect scanning, click New.
7. Select the same folder that you excluded in line 5 and click OK.

This only works on Norton 360 2.0. You'll have to upgrade from any 1.3 version if you haven't.
robothive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:25 PM   #137
Captain_Pain

Alright, I scanned through the thread but I didn't see how to do this with Trend Micro (I hate it so). Can someone throw some info my way?
Captain_Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:48 PM   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #138
rickmus

Valve
hmm, while I'm not on the TF2 project, I'll poke around the code to see what is in this stats file, why it is being so frequently updated, etc. No promises though!
rickmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:48 PM   #139
HolyAarom

My Norton expired, but I have Spyware Doctor running. Since it's SPYWARE Doctor, I would assume I wouldn't have to do anything, right?
HolyAarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:52 PM   #140
Captain_Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmus View Post
hmm, while I'm not on the TF2 project, I'll poke around the code to see what is in this stats file, why it is being so frequently updated, etc. No promises though!
inb4topicgoingnutsfromavalveemployeepostinginit

Moddable offenses aside, thank you for this. Any work done that will help my performance is greatly appreciated. Have some rep (not that you need it).
Old 12-31-2009, 11:53 PM   #141
robothive

Quote:
Every time I see a Valve employee post, I get the urge to ask him about Episode 3...
robothive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 12:00 AM   #142
Captain_Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by robothive View Post
Every time I see a Valve employee post, I get the urge to ask him about Episode 3...
Don't. It's like calling Gabe fat but worse; they'll just shift it back.
Old 01-01-2010, 12:17 AM   #143
Enfilade23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCTX View Post
http://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/show/150

Just replace the folder with: ...\Steam\appcache\stats
Thank you. I love you. Have my children.
Old 01-01-2010, 12:22 AM   #144
jgr9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupon View Post
You obviously did not read the OP.

It's not viruses that's the problem, it's the fact that the Anti-Virus program is continually checking a file that is used by TF2. TF2 updates this file frequently, and as a good antivirus program would, it checks to see if they changes are virus related.

This constant checking causes your computer to use up CPU resources that could have gone to making TF2 run smoother. So all the OP is trying to say is the list this specific folder as an exception so that the Anti-Virus program doesn't take up CPU resources checking it every minute.

Edit: Everyone, PLEASE READ the first post before spouting off nonsense about viruses! The OP did NOT mention anything about viruses at all!
Well you apparently didn't read my post. You don't need to have virus checkers running at all! Just don't be stupid and you won't get viruses and if you do which is bound to happen anyways, just run a good scanner once or twice and you should be all set.
jgr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 12:27 AM   #145
stonefish

Quote:
Ten pages in, and someone finally posted a touch of sanity.

While Antivirus products should only be used as training wheels, that doesn't mean that adding exclusions is acceptable procedure. If your AV is doing THAT much damage to your gaming performance, and only to this one game, then something is BROKEN.

If your FPS is consistently low without the exception in place, then that indicates some sort of very unfriendly behaviour. Either the AV process is just completely insane, or the file in question is being written to both heavily and constantly. This seems unlikely. You guys could either poke randomly at it, or bust out the tools and actually check.

If your FPS is fine mostly, but drops to zero for a few hundred milliseconds here or there, then that sounds more like a file getting written occasionally and causing the system to drop everything and scan it.

Ditch Norton and defrag your drives. You'll see better results
stonefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 12:29 AM   #146
ChrisCTX

Quote:
Just the fact that this is acknowledged by someone on the inside is more than appreciated. Thank you and Happy New Year ^_^
ChrisCTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 12:32 AM   #147
HamBannered

Quote:
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it tracks certain actions that we do?
HamBannered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 12:36 AM   #148
Leminnes

Is there a way to do it on Nod32?
Leminnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 12:40 AM   #149
stonefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leminnes View Post
Is there a way to do it on Nod32?
Try leaving NOD32 enabled and start the game. Monitor your FPS min, max and averages. Then disable it entirely and start the game with the same conditions.
Let us know if it makes a difference in a measurable and reproducible way.
stonefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 12:41 AM   #150
TZK203

DUDE! THIS INCREASED MY FPS BY AT LEAST 100!

THANK YOU!
TZK203 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2