Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > BioShock 1 & 2

Old 12-31-2009, 08:25 AM   #1
addicted91

Bioshock No sound after Intro

Ok, so i start up bioshock and the Main menu is fine i have sound and everything is ruining normally. I start the game and the intro is fine and i can hear the main character speaking.

After the airplane crashes though i lose my sound in game even when i go to the main menu i go no sound. Am sure a lot of you have the same problem.

Any solutions?

Thx

Old 12-31-2009, 01:01 PM   #2
GIRAFFE OF GOD

go to the game files and send the game to desktop,them right click on the icon go to properties and run it in compatibility with windows xp.it worked for me hope that helps
Old 01-01-2010, 11:45 AM   #3
RaffyS

I find that running in compatibilty mode stops the game from even running for me on Win 7 32 bit. As to the question posted by the TC, do you have a Realtek HD Ausio device? (lots of PC's have these inbuilt on the motherboard)

If you do, go into Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Sound. In the box that pops up, go into Recording tab, right click a clear space and make sure that 'Show Disabled Devices' is ticked. Once done, a device called 'Stereo Mix' should show. Enable this and enjoy BioShock with sound!

This will only work with RealTek soundcards. Make sure your drivers are up-to date as the 'Stereo Mix' option did not show until I downloaded the latest ones. Hope this helps
RaffyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:50 AM   #4
FTracy3

Just plugging in a microphone worked for me (a tip from another thread here) Give it a try. Windows 7 64, Realtek HD onboard.
FTracy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 12:06 PM   #5
RaffyS

The reason plugging in a microphone works is because 'Stereo Mix' is automatically turned on when you plug in a mic. :P
RaffyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:21 PM   #6
skylerweaver

This fix is only for people with RealTek soundcards.

This did not work for me, but I was having the same problem and it was audio.

I replaced the line in the Default.ini from:
AudioDevice=FMODAudio.FMODAudioSubsystem

to:
;AudioDevice=FMODAudio.FMODAudioSubsystem
AudioDevice=D3DDrv.D3DAudioDevice

Then the game launched fine (no compatibility mode) but there was no sound in game (menus were fine) because the in game sounds MUST use the FMOD engine. So don't do this!

What I eventually did was change the line in the Default.ini under [FMODAudio.FMODAudioSubsystem]

MaxChannels=128
to
MaxChannels=64

Now everything works fine. It appears my (non-RealTek) sound card was not able to have 128 channels. So try lowering this value until it works for you.

Hope this helps people with non-RealTek cards. This was really frustrating. Good gaming.

(More info about Default.ini here: http://www.tweakguides.com/Bioshock_7.html they call it bioshock.ini, but I edited Default.ini)
Old 05-13-2010, 06:16 AM   #7
cruckis

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylerweaver View Post
This fix is only for people with RealTek soundcards.

This did not work for me, but I was having the same problem and it was audio.

I replaced the line in the Default.ini from:
AudioDevice=FMODAudio.FMODAudioSubsystem

to:
;AudioDevice=FMODAudio.FMODAudioSubsystem
AudioDevice=D3DDrv.D3DAudioDevice

Then the game launched fine (no compatibility mode) but there was no sound in game (menus were fine) because the in game sounds MUST use the FMOD engine. So don't do this!

What I eventually did was change the line in the Default.ini under [FMODAudio.FMODAudioSubsystem]

MaxChannels=128
to
MaxChannels=64

Now everything works fine. It appears my (non-RealTek) sound card was not able to have 128 channels. So try lowering this value until it works for you.

Hope this helps people with non-RealTek cards. This was really frustrating. Good gaming.

(More info about Default.ini here: http://www.tweakguides.com/Bioshock_7.html they call it bioshock.ini, but I edited Default.ini)
This did the trick! This solved two of my problems: Game was crashing at the start-up splash screen, and no in-game sound. No compatibility mode needed either (which for some reason wouldn't allow the game to start on Windows 7). Additionally, I'm pretty sure I do have a Realtek card.

Thanks man!

Last edited by cruckis: 05-13-2010 at 06:18 AM.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:11 PM   #8
jethro_tj

Quote:
MaxChannels=128
to
MaxChannels=64
Thank you so very much!

I was afraid I wasn't ever going to be able to play Bioshock.
jethro_tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 07:18 AM   #9
raptor-attack

I'm still having this problem and have tried all the posted solutions. If anyone has got this working using some other solution please post it here. I've been searching all over the net for a fix but can't seem to find one, feels like I wasted money buying this.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:06 PM   #10
AJV111

first goto speaker bottom right by clock/date in standered setup os win7.
right click on speaker icon scroll upto "RECORDING DEVICES" enter it
Now look for STEREO MIX and Enable it,,
If stereo mix is not showing, click scroll on white area an allow,
"SHOW DISABLED DEVICES" and enable.
That was my probs with the game i hope it sorts it for all you with the same probs
AJV111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:31 AM   #11
CitizenGeek

Quote:

MaxChannels=128
to
MaxChannels=64
Worked perfectly for me! Thanks so much, skylerweaver!
Old 04-15-2011, 05:42 PM   #12
Alenonimo

I just wanted to post here that my issue was solved by activating the Stereo Mixer on Control Panel, Sound settings, Reproduction tab in Windows 7.

There's seems to be a problem with HDMI I guess. New GPUs comes with it, adding a new sound device to the system -- to send sound through that port. Setting a stereo mixer solved it quite easily so that must be it.
Alenonimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 05:35 PM   #13
Kelladri

Yeah I tried all of these, but none of them work. How do I get a RealTek HD audio device? Can I just download it, or do I have to buy one from a store like Best Buy?
Kelladri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:25 AM   #14
eric_son

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaffyS View Post
If you do, go into Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Sound. In the box that pops up, go into Recording tab, right click a clear space and make sure that 'Show Disabled Devices' is ticked. Once done, a device called 'Stereo Mix' should show. Enable this and enjoy BioShock with sound!

This will only work with RealTek soundcards. Make sure your drivers are up-to date as the 'Stereo Mix' option did not show until I downloaded the latest ones. Hope this helps
Oh my! Thanks a bundle! It worked! (And yes, I do have a RealTek onboard sound)

Last edited by eric_son: 12-27-2011 at 06:28 AM.
eric_son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:27 PM   #15
Robert1968

I know this is an old topic, I built a new computer with Windows 7 64-bit on a ASUS P8P67 Motherboard with a Core i7-2600k.

- When showing disabled devices, There is no "Stereo Mix" available.
- Changing MaxChannels from 128 to 64 did nothing.

The thing that finally worked,.. Computer> LocalDisk(C)> Program Files(x86)> Steam> steamapps > common> bioshock> Builds> Release> Bioshock.exe

Right Click Bioshock.exe go to properties, then Compatibility mode and try Windows XP (Service Pack 2).

Been looking for a solution for hours and now THE SOUND IS WORKING!!!
Robert1968 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > BioShock 1 & 2