Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Torchlight series

Old 02-11-2010, 09:36 AM   #1
immensewok

Steam cloud overwrite

The short version: I lost about three (early) levels of progress by switching computers.

The long version: Started a new character on my desktop. Switched to my netbook and gained three levels (no problem syncing here). Quit the game and left Steam open and online for about 15 minutes. Logged into Steam on my desktop and my character was at the last level he reached on the desktop, not the netbook. Logged back into Steam on the netbook and the character had returned to the lower level.

I never got the "cannot sync" dialog box and I'm sure everything was online the whole time. Not a big problem this time because its the difference between level two and level five but this sort of thing can become a real issue. So two questions. First, how does syncing work? Is it based on a timestamp or is it based on some sort of progress indicator (like XP)? Second, is there a way to manually sync to make sure everything's okay before switching computers?

Overall the Steam cloud is a great feature, I just don't want to lose a ton of XP or unique items in the future. Thanks.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:58 PM   #2
Satertek

I just lost an entire character.

Had this single character on my desktop, and later logged in and installed the game on my Netbook. It apparently didn't sync, so I created 2 new characters on the netbook. When I go back to my desktop these new characters were the only ones there, and the only ones in the backup folder. (There was a 'savesbeforecloud' folder and it does contain my lost character...but with 6 minutes of play time)

Apparently the save files are just named 0,1,2,3 etc, and it doesn't matter what the character name is on it, if file 0.SVT on one machine is newer than file 0.SVT on the other machine, no matter what character it is, the newer file overwrites the old one.

This is insane.

10 hours gone

Last edited by Satertek: 02-18-2010 at 03:05 PM.
Satertek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:46 AM   #3
Overt.Enemy

I've seen this a few times already.
Overt.Enemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 06:05 PM   #4
Askjosh

yea the steam cloud system is not perfect. personally i would love to have the ability to manage our steam cloud saves from within steam by right clicking on a game and selecting "saves" or "Steam Cloud" from there we should be able to import, export and delete our game saves.
Askjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:51 AM   #5
GravitySpec

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Askjosh View Post
yea the steam cloud system is not perfect. personally i would love to have the ability to manage our steam cloud saves from within steam by right clicking on a game and selecting "saves" or "Steam Cloud" from there we should be able to import, export and delete our game saves.
That would be a great feature to have. Would be the same as managing save blocks on Xbox and PlayStation. You would just delete it from the cloud and resync the saves. Get on it Valve! It can go into the beta UI.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:47 AM   #6
immensewok

Heartbreaking stories. I've wound up giving up on the netbook because even in netbook mode with the low res texture mod this poor little computer can't handle all the spell casters on higher levels.
The only thought I've had since the OP is to wait longer than 10 minutes between swaps.
Old 03-13-2010, 01:04 PM   #7
Ash_Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Askjosh View Post
I would love to have the ability to manage our steam cloud saves from within steam by right clicking on a game and selecting "saves" or "Steam Cloud" from there we should be able to import, export and delete our game saves.
I'd so much love to do this ! Do it Valve please !
+rep
Ash_Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 03:18 PM   #8
unit335

The OP's story is sad...true. However, don't give up so easily! I've seen this before and it is most likely that your save is *somewhere*. Take a look at this thread, you'll see that there is multiple places your saves can be, and since you are using a couple of computers you are going to have to think carefully about where your most recent data should be. File alter dates are your friend.

http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtop...=10133&start=0

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Torchlight series