Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Spellforce series

Old 03-09-2010, 11:47 PM   #1
bairrd

Installing game from backup

Hi
I live in Australia where bandwidth is limited, so I got a copy of my recently purchased spellforce 2 backed up onto a hard drive by a friend who downloaded the game.

I am trying to install the backup and when I go to install the backup it asks for a cd key. I cannot view the cd key unless I am downloading the file, and if so, the cd key is much too large for the 5 input boxes provided for me to put my cd key in.

This cd key entry box is different from the one that can be accessed by clicking the activate product button in the bottom left hand corner of the new steam UI. Also to note is that I am currently using the new beta Steam UI.

Old 03-17-2010, 02:34 PM   #2
mesaone

start the download. Then get your CD key, write it down. Quit steam completely, then delete your steam\steamapps\common\spellforce 2 directory, and replace it with your backup.

Restart steam, click on spellforce 2 and check integrity of game cache. Start the game up, enter your CD key. Done.
mesaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:09 PM   #3
bairrd

This would be good if the files were backed up, by copying the files, but it is in one of the steam backup exe type files, anyway to do this with that? If not, thanks anyway, as I will get my friend to give me the files in that manner. Thanks heaps.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:35 PM   #4
mesaone

as far as I know, backing up as usual should work. With my steam backups, for some reason I have to copy all the backup files to my HD before I can use them.

So try this -- create a new folder on your desktop. Copy all the files from the backup discs into that new folder. Now run the backup.exe and see what happens.

Another thing is, unless you have UAC off or are running Steam as administrator, sometimes it will ask for the CD key more than once.

EDIT: like I said before, start your download and then you can right-click and select "view game cd key". Select "copy key to clipboard" and paste it in a text document. Write it down on paper too, so you can enter it into the game. THEN you can cancel the download and load the backup

Last edited by mesaone: 03-17-2010 at 10:39 PM.
mesaone is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Spellforce series