Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > R.U.S.E

Old 04-06-2010, 07:32 PM   #1
xenoss

"Fix" queued flight paths, please

This is going to be 1 of those "hey ubi/eugen fix this" thread. The topic for today is queued Flight paths. I'd like to call attention to 1 bug, and 1 hope for improvement.

Bug:
Air Transport flight paths are bugged. I had queued a path out to a final drop zone, but the plane dropped the troops in the middle of said path, prematurely. It isn't the first (original) drop zone when you created the unit, nor as it the final 1 in the queue. It was 1 of the way points. This happened multiple times, but not all the time.

Improvement:
For queueing attack paths for bombers and fighter bombers. Right now, You can queue a path (blue arrows) until you queue in an attack point (orange arrow). But the attack arrow is always the final queue, you can't add on top of that.

So after you reconed a good path, you set you planes on that path and successfully bomb your target.

BUT THEN, the planes will go into auto pathing back to the airfield. Usually rignt INTO the wall of AA you know is there and tried to avoid in the first place.

Trying to micro out of that is painful. Since unit selection isn't tight enough (sometimes you can select), and once a plane started turning right, you want to micro it to turn left, it's going to take a bit of time (while AA is shooting at you, that usually means death).

Suggestion - please let us put queues on top of the attack order, so that the planes' path back home can be mapped up. I think this is in the spirit of RUSE, and can even make that Decryption ruse useful.

EDIT:
Improvement #2: Designated airfields.

There needs to be a way to tell the game which air field is building what planes if I have multiple airfields. Or which airfield a plane returns to when on auto.

For regular units, that is context sensitive and thats fine. For planes, it seems to be random, or 1 after the other. On bigger maps, that is annoying. I would build bombers on a base closer to the enemy, and want to send them on a bombing run, just to find out that some of the bombers are in the other, far away airfield.

Also, in a team game, 1 player dropped and his base became mine. One time, my bombers chose to return to his airfield (which is closer, I think). Unfortunately, that happened on auto, and that leads to a wall of AA, and even worse, that base was under attack so the planes the made it back got shot down on the ground along with the airfield.

Last edited by xenoss: 04-06-2010 at 07:37 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:58 PM   #2
Gmer_freak

I've had that problem with Flying Fortresses, they just fly straight into the AA once they drop their load. It's hard to micro them once they start getting shot.
Gmer_freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 02:34 AM   #3
LucienL

and before anyone takes it on themselves to defend any fault this game has like some kind of white knight, ordering planes to take a different route back after attacking does not work the vast majority of the time.

Planes don't even take the safe route back if all they have to do is choose to turn left or right. Left: giant forest full of visible AA. Right: nothing. Planes turn left. Every damn time.

Then there's also the way that spreading out your planes to attack multiple units is a nightmare.

The air units' AI is pretty much the reason I barely use them
LucienL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 02:52 AM   #4
xenoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucienL View Post
and before anyone takes it on themselves to defend any fault this game has like some kind of white knight, ordering planes to take a different route back after attacking does not work the vast majority of the time.

Planes don't even take the safe route back if all they have to do is choose to turn left or right. Left: giant forest full of visible AA. Right: nothing. Planes turn left. Every damn time.

Then there's also the way that spreading out your planes to attack multiple units is a nightmare.

The air units' AI is pretty much the reason I barely use them
Indeed.

We can map out a safe path to the target, but we can't map out the path back. That's frustrating.

In this case, you are fighting with the game, the system, more so than you are fighting your opponent.

You did proper recon, you found a relatively safe path, you got your planes there to bomb it. Why force them to die to enemy fire; it isn't supposed to be kamikaze but it certainly ends up that way.

There is no reason why we have to sto with the orange arrow. Let us map the flight path all the way. From airfield to target and back.
xenoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:25 AM   #5
Raxxman

Another thing to consider is the way fighter bombers turn after they've completed an attack run.

Hurricanes always seem to turn to the left, and this can lead to them turning into walls of AA, whereby a simple turn to the right would have them heading home without a scratch.

Also once a bomber has finished it's run I have 0 control over it, any order is ignored as they beeline desperately towards the runway.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:10 AM   #6
Chnaiur

/signed

Lack of unit selection + no queue = fail
Old 04-07-2010, 05:52 PM   #7
Demster

I also find this very annoying, indeed.

With 'Center of Gravity' you can get your bombers behind enemy lines and bomb the hell out of them. Afterwards, they choose the shortest route to your airfield and fly over the treeline...

Sometimes I get lucky after sending six bombers; in the very short time after the bombing I regain control of two of them and send them back behind the enemy base. The rest will be shot down when they are near to the treeline.

Quote:
We can map out a safe path to the target, but we can't map out the path back. That's frustrating.

In this case, you are fighting with the game, the system, more so than you are fighting your opponent.
This states it +1

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > R.U.S.E