Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Section 8 series

Old 03-08-2010, 12:12 PM   #1
MISFIT KILO 5

Thoughts & Observations from a new S8 player

WARNING! Wall of Text follows.

I have been waiting for a decent sci-fi powered-armor FPS since "Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri". Yep, I'm that old, and I've been waiting that long. If you're not familiar with TN:SFC, check it out here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terra_N...Force_Centauri . A true classic.

Anyway, when I heard that TG was developing S8, I was pretty psyched. Everything about it was exactly what I was looking for in this sort of game. I had planned on picking it up when it released, but unfortunately I had to delay upgrading my rig and so was unable to play it.

When I got my new rig, I took a look at the STEAM forums for S8, and the forums at TG. What I saw made me hesitate. I don't base my decision to purchase a game entirely on forums and reviews, but I do take them into consideration. After watching as many gameplay videos as I could find on YouTube, I was leaning towards buying it. Then I had to overcome my irrational fear of GFWL.

Hey, it took me a loooong time to finally break down and use STEAM. GFWL almost kept me away, and I'm guessing it has deterred quite a few potential fans from trying out this awesome game. For those who might read this that have as their sole reason for not buying S8 GFWL, listen. I didn't want to go there, either. But you know what? At the end of the day, nothing bad happened. My rig didn't disintegrate. I still like girls. Monkeys aren't in control of the international space station.

If GFWL is the only thing stopping you from trying S8, just bite the bullet and go for it. If you like this genre, you will have fun with S8. And GFWL won't steal your kidneys and leave you to wake up in a tub full of ice in some run-down hotel in the bad part of town.

So, what do I think of the game? AWESOME! It's a blast. Good graphics, engaging gameplay. Just what I was looking for. The solo campaign is short, yes, but it does the job of familiarizing you with the game so you can get into the multiplayer.

I'm still not sure why people have so many complaints about this game, personal tastes aside. I mean, to each his own and all, but if you like sci-fi shooters, and in particular ones about power-armored troopers, this is a no-brainer.

The only thing I can figure is the console factor. The game does come across with a console-ish feel on the PC. Don't get me wrong! At least from my perspective, it's not console-ish in a bad way, but as a veteran PC FPS gamer, you definitely get the feeling. I played past that feeling, and discovered that the game is simply FUN. Some may not get past that initial perception. PC gamers can be a little elitist, and I should know; I've often had the same attitude about console ports or anything that even seemed remotely like it might have been “dumbed down” to accommodate consoles.

Again, to anyone reading this that thinks this is a console game shoe-horned onto the PC, that's not the case. I feel the gameplay reflects what this sort of futuristic combat might actually feel like. Don't like aim-assist? Don't use it! But think about it, you don't think that as the technology becomes available, that the military won't use some form of aim-assist when it becomes a practical reality? You bet they will.

I'm an “iron-sights” point-of-view fan. I like the feel, the immersion of it. But seeing a zoomed reticule in my field of view on my HUD? Or seeing my weapon with a reticule above it? Makes perfect sense to me, because that's where technology is already heading. In the context of this high-tech, futuristic setting, it works.

A word about the community. Overall, it seems cool. Like in any other multiplayer FPS however, you will get a few jerks. You know, the ones that have to tell you how they're going to “pwn you”. Not just once, but over and over again. I mean, a few taunts are fine...no big deal. But when some immature kid keeps constantly typing stuff, even when no one is answering, it gets a little annoying. Now, in another game, you could just go find another server. Can't do that in S8. There's only 1 active server, 99% of the time. You have nowhere else to go.

People often wonder why this game has so few players.....and we all know the main reasons for that. But I'm willing to bet that a few people bought the game, got the impression that the playerbase was a bunch of “I'm pwning you” kids, and left. Sad, because while this game is a blast to play in an UT, chaotic fun style, it has the potential for some really awesome tactical team play.

While I'm continuing my Wall of Text, a little rant about balance. Why is it that all the clan players ALWAYS seem to stack on one side or the other? I don't mean players in the same clan, that's understandable, I mean 3 different clans, all on one side. And on the opposite side....hardly anyone above the rank of private. Come on. Is it really that fun to stomp a team with less experience? Ok, maybe once, but over and over? Again, I bet some people got hammered like that, saw the blatant imbalance, and said “screw this”.

Well, after all that, I'm still gonna have to say buy this game, especially if you like the genre. It is really fun, has a ton of potential, and there is a small dedicated community playing this, so you will find people to play with.

BURN IN!

Oh, and TG, how about some merchandise? I really want a cap with the S8 logo on it!

-MK5

Old 03-10-2010, 08:04 AM   #2
Razor2.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISFIT KILO 5 View Post
People often wonder why this game has so few players.....and we all know the main reasons for that. But I'm willing to bet that a few people bought the game, got the impression that the playerbase was a bunch of “I'm pwning you” kids, and left. Sad, because while this game is a blast to play in an UT, chaotic fun style, it has the potential for some really awesome tactical team play.
I've asked a few guys who played during the beta period, and apparently TG managed to jarate off the player base. Without that significant player base, most left.

Factor in the problems clans had with getting servers, and you're left with a multiplayer game without players. At least you don't have to worry about the DLC. Last I checked, no one plays it.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:39 PM   #3
MIK3K

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISFIT KILO 5 View Post
WARNING! Wall of Text follows.

I have been waiting for a decent sci-fi powered-armor FPS since "Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri". Yep, I'm that old, and I've been waiting that long. If you're not familiar with TN:SFC, check it out here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terra_N...Force_Centauri . A true classic.

-MK5

Haha - I vaguely remember that game. Sometimes I think I'm the only old one around here. I miss my old 3dfx Monster 3D card.
MIK3K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 01:23 PM   #4
WarLokk1980

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1225468
WarLokk1980 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Section 8 series