Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Deus Ex series

Old 04-22-2010, 03:25 AM   #1
znokiss

Thumbs up Ultimate tutorial : graphic mods on Deus-Ex steam version

(Pardon my english, I'm a froggy french idiot).

Hello. Wanna go from THIS to THAT ? You're at the right place !

After a night of testing, I've managed to get Deus-Ex working with every graphic mod I could find.
Basically, I put together the NewVision mod that replace all environnement textures, the HDTP that improves the objects in the game, all the new alternate renderer avalaibles and the enb-series effect that add those nice DirectX 9 effects. The enb is optional and works only with the DirectX 9 render. But you can install the whole pack and just change the settings each time you launch the game.

Let's go, just follow the instructions.
1) Install Deus-Ex from steam ( no sh*t !). Launch the game at least once otherwise nothing will work. For example, go to the training and make a screenshot to compare with the final result.

2) In your System folder, rename "DeusEx.exe" into "DeusEx_old.exe". I assume that you know that the System directory i'm talking about is this one : \Steam\SteamApps\common\deus ex\System and not that one : C:/Program Files/3D Sex Villa/System. Also, make sure that Visual C++ 2010 runtimes is installed on your computer. The new launcher needs this to work.

3) Download my "all in one" pack and put everything into System.
This pack contains :
- the alternate OpenGL and DirectX9 renderer from Chris Dohnal
- the DirectX 10 renderer plus the new launcher from kentie
- the enb-series from Boris Vorontsov with my special configuration. The normal version that can be found on the author's site has too strong lightening. I made some settings which looks better (no more blinding bloom effects, dark places looks darker)]

4) Download and install the HDTP which enhance object (mmhh, a new crowbar !) and one PNJ only (for the moment...) : the nice-looking Gunther Herman.

5) Download the big New-vision environnement texture pack (1,5Go !!) here, unzip it and paste the NVTextures folder in the DeusEx directory (not in System or Texture). Also, download the hotfix and paste it in NVTextures (overwrite the old files).

6) Relaunch the game once, now you should see the new launcher app from kentie, go to the option. You can choose your resolution, the FOV adapted to your screen and check the "Non-scaling GUI". And most of all, choose your renderer : DirectX10 is a (little) bit more sharp, but DirectX9 is required to use the Enb-series effects. Make your choice. And then quit.

7) Now open the DeusEx.ini file that has just been created in My Documents/DeusEx/System. Do the following changes :
- (to enable HDTP) : In the section [Core.System], add those two lines above all the other "Paths=..something" lines :
Code:
Paths=..\NVTextures\*.utx
Paths=..\HDTP\System\*.u
Paths=..\HDTP\Textures\*.utx
- Now, to enable the best parameters for each renderer, you just have to copy/paste/replace all those settings in the DeusEx.ini in My Documents. (For both DirectX version, replace the parameters at the end of the files. For OpenGL, the parameters should be around the middle of DeusEx.ini, with the other "traditional" renderers) :

For DirectX9 :
Code:
[D3D9Drv.D3D9RenderDevice]
DetailTextures=True
Coronas=True
ShinySurfaces=True
HighDetailActors=True
VolumetricLighting=True
Precache=True
Antialiasing=8
Anisotropy=16
VSync=False
ParallaxOcclusionMapping=True
LODBias=0.000000
BumpMapping=True
ClassicLighting=True
AlphaToCoverage=True
DescFlags=0
Description=
UseS3TC=True
UseTrilinear=True
UseMultitexture=True
UsePageFlipping=True
UsePalettes=True
DetailTextures=True
Use32BitTextures=True
MaskedTextureHack=True
ZRangeHack=False
NoAATiles=True
NumAASamples=4
UseAA=True
UseSoftwareVertexProcessing=False
UsePureDevice=True
UseTripleBuffering=True
SmoothMaskedTextures=True
SceneNodeHack=True
FrameRateLimit=0
SwapInterval=-1
UseFragmentProgram=False
TexDXT1ToDXT3=False
DynamicTexIdRecycleLevel=100
CacheStaticMaps=False
UseTexPool=True
UseTexIdPool=True
UseSSE2=True
UseSSE=True
SinglePassDetail=False
SinglePassFog=True
ColorizeDetailTextures=False
DetailClipping=False
DetailMax=2
RefreshRate=0
MaxTMUnits=0
NoFiltering=False
MaxAnisotropy=16
Use565Textures=False
Use16BitTextures=False
UsePrecache=False
MaxLogTextureSize=8
MinLogTextureSize=0
OneXBlending=True
GammaCorrectScreenshots=True
GammaOffsetBlue=0.000000
GammaOffsetGreen=0.000000
GammaOffsetRed=0.000000
GammaOffset=0.000000
For DirectX 10 :
Code:
[D3D10Drv.D3D10RenderDevice]
UnlimitedViewDistance=True
SimulateMultiPassTexturing=True
FPSLimit=0
AutoFOV=False
ClassicLighting=True
BumpMapping=True
AlphaToCoverage=True
LODBias=0
ParallaxOcclusionMapping=True
VSync=False
Anisotropy=16
Antialiasing=16
Precache=False
DetailTextures=True
DescFlags=0
Description=
HighDetailActors=True
Coronas=True
ShinySurfaces=True
VolumetricLighting=True
And for OpenGL :
Code:
[OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice]
Translucency=True
VolumetricLighting=True
ShinySurfaces=True
Coronas=True
UseS3TC=True
HighDetailActors=True
DetailTextures=True
UseTNT=1
MinDepthBits=16
MaxLogUOverV=8
MaxLogVOverU=8
UseMultiTexture=1
UsePalette=1
UseAlphaPalette=1
ShareLists=1
AlwaysMipmap=1
DoPrecache=0
UseTrilinear=True
MaxAnisotropy=16
SupportsLazyTextures=1
8) You're done. Launch the game and enjoy. Don't forget, you can choose your renderer each time. I recommand the DirectX 9, so you can activate the enb by pressing shift + F12 anytime in the game. If you're not interested by the enb, DirectX 10 seems a good choice (a bit less aliasing, but the difference is tiny...)
IMPORTANT NOTE : if you still have some problems or if you want to do it the old way, try to do as I explain two posts below.

Don't hesitate if you have any questions. Thanks to the authors of all those nices modifications for this great game.

SCREENS :

- First start in vanilla, low res (640x480), 16 bits textures.
- After the DeusEx fix : high resolution, 32 bits textures, DirectX 9.
- After the HDTP : new nice objects (lamp, potted plant...)
- NewVision : High Resolution textures for background (table, floor, wall...)
- Same one in DirectX 10, almost the same.
- Back in DirectX 9, but with enb-series this time. This is eyecandy.
Some other screens can be seen on the french version of this tutorial on CanardPC.

edit : thanks everybody for adding to my reputation and the nice rating of this topic. 'love you too
edit˛ : for Invisible War, I made another topic here.
edit 3 : Some screenshots of my latest version of the enb configuration : here.
edit 4 : I reviewed this tutorial for this new year 2011. Enjoy.
edit 5 : replace my enb version by the one made by SillyCon, which is much better, thanks to him.
edit 6 : August 2011, the final version of NeoVision is out and I included the alternate launcher by kentie.

Last edited by znokiss: 02-25-2012 at 04:51 AM. Reason: old megaupload links broken... new links on mediafire.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:39 AM   #2
Katana55

For New Vision, what if I'm using Direct 3d 10 renderer? Which is better to use and should I switch to OpenGL for NewVision? Also, will Direct 3d 10 also work with these other mods?
Old 04-22-2010, 03:42 AM   #3
znokiss

FOR THOSE WHO HAVE PROBLEM WITH THE NEW LAUNCHER and don't want to replace the "DeusEx.exe".

We can install those mods without usine the new launcher from kentie. To do so :

- step 2 : DO NOT rename the original DeusEx.exe.
- at step 3, from my "all-in-one" pack, copy everything EXCEPT the DeusEx.exe. Keep the original one.
- step 6 is replaced by this : download and launch kentie's fix (that do the same as his launcher without replacing the DeusEx.exe). Check the multiprocessor fix, the Non-Scaling GUI (or the default one if you have a very high resolution), choose you resolution and your FOV but YOU CANNOT choose the DirectX9 or 10 renderer here. To do so, see next step.
- step 7 : do every modification of the DeusEx.ini file as showed, but from the DeusEx.ini in steam/steamapps/common/deus ex/System, not in "My Documents" (anyway, the one in My Documents doesn't exist here).

To choose your renderer, go to the [Engine.Engine] section. Replace the first line ("GameRenderDevice=D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice") by ONE of the following :

- "GameRenderDevice=D3D9Drv.D3D9RenderDevice" to use DirectX9
- "GameRenderDevice=D3D10Drv.D3D10RenderDevice" for the DirectX10
- "GameRenderDevice=OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice " for OpenGL.

Then, follow the rest of the tuto as writed.

I hope it works for everybody this time.

Last edited by znokiss: 08-14-2011 at 01:13 AM.
znokiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 07:42 AM   #4
TherapyFailed

znokiss - thank you for this, very much appreciated. However i already lost an hour or two browsing around and found a suitable solution the hard way

I had to loose HDTP, because it wants to use a separate exe and in this case i got an error Steam not found. But everything else is working with the similar replication that you gave there.
TherapyFailed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:12 AM   #5
znokiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TherapyFailed View Post
I had to loose HDTP, because it wants to use a separate exe and in this case i got an error Steam not found.
Part 5 of the tutorial should make you able to use the HDTP with the original Deus-Ex.exe launcher.
Anyway, if it works as you set it up, gg !
Old 04-22-2010, 08:58 AM   #6
QuicksilverDX

Too bad something like this doesn't exist for Invisible War.

The High res texture pack sucks . Whoever redesign the characters frigin fails.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:35 AM   #7
oceanclub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana55 View Post
For New Vision, what if I'm using Direct 3d 10 renderer? Which is better to use and should I switch to OpenGL for NewVision? Also, will Direct 3d 10 also work with these other mods?
I'd be interested to know this too, as the DX10 renderer (http://kentie.net/article/d3d10drv/) is very nice and easy to install. So far I'm using that and HDTP pack (http://www.offtopicproductions.com/hdtp/), but would like to install New Vision as well.

Cheers,

P.
oceanclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:20 PM   #8
Robster1

Failed to find Steam when launching HDTP.exe
Robster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:29 PM   #9
TherapyFailed

@Robster1 - do as znokiss suggested (under part 5). At least it solved it for me and i can now run the game trough original exe file.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:32 PM   #10
Robster1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TherapyFailed View Post
@Robster1 - do as znokiss suggested (under part 5). At least it solved it for me and i can now run the game trough original exe file.
I did every step to the T and I can launch the game with the DeusEx.exe but the sound is garbled and pops and there is no change in the graphics. I uninstalled HDTP and can play with other mods no problem.
Robster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:33 PM   #11
znokiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanclub View Post
I'd be interested to know this too, as the DX10 renderer (http://kentie.net/article/d3d10drv/) is very nice and easy to install.
I'm going to try this Direct-X render. Maybe not tonight (I'm going to bed right now) but I'll keep the tutorial up to date.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robster1 View Post
Failed to find Steam when launching HDTP.exe
By following the tutorial, you should not launch the game with the HDTP.exe but with the classical Deusex.exe
As Therapyfailed said, the part 5) of the tutorial is to "tell" to the classic launcher (Deus-ex.exe) to use the nices textures of the HDTP pack. So the HDTP.exe becomes useless and that's cool, since steam hates it

Last edited by znokiss: 04-22-2010 at 02:36 PM.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:44 PM   #12
TherapyFailed

You can also check here - i solved sound problems with these instructions.
http://kentie.net/article/dxguide/index.htm
Old 04-23-2010, 02:05 AM   #13
znokiss

Update : I found the ultimate renderer.
With the help of the glorious Metaldetroyer, many of them were tested. Here is a summary :
- OpenGL does not support the nice effects of enb-series.
- DirectX 10 offers nicer textures but as above, it doesn't like enb either.
- DirectX 9 allows us to benefit from the effect of enb, such as bloom or ambient occlusion... However, the defaut settings of the enb ini file from the author's site aren't very good.
So Metaldestroyer has made some changes in that ini file to offer the best render for Deus-Ex next gen. You can find it HERE.

I've updated my tutorial above.

With that render, the DirectX9 version is clearly better that any other render, DirectX 10 included.

Some screenchots are avalaible here.

Last edited by znokiss: 04-23-2010 at 02:49 AM.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:51 AM   #14
Lexino

the ultimate renderer looks swesome, but it brings fps from 60 to 30, so its bit laggy...and also enabling it (shift+f12) makes the main menu so bright thats its unreadable, so I had to enable it in-game

Last edited by Lexino: 04-23-2010 at 07:54 AM.
Lexino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:50 AM   #15
znokiss

Many many settings are tweakable in the .ini files of the enb-series (into the System directory).
But I'm far from knowing them all...

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Deus Ex series