Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Half-Life

Old 06-01-2010, 01:48 AM   #1
trenmost

Half-Life and Half-Life: Source Buying guide

I hope this gets stickied, so this helps users which version to buy!

Half-Life is a great FPS game released in 1998. It revolutionized the whole FPS genre with its new, fun, but simple gameplay elements. In 2004, Valve released Half-Life 2 on a new engine, called the Source engine. To show the mod developers that existing HL1 mods can easily be converted onto the Source engine, Valve released Half-Life: Source, which is a simple port of the original game. This version has the same assets as the original one, but it uses the new engine: so even if the engine is modern, and there are some new effects, the models are still lowpoly, the textures are still the same from 1998. Here you can find a comparison between the two versions:

Half-Life (steam version) benefits:
-Original sounds
-Gibbable dead bodies - You can gib characters after they die
-More compatible with older hardware, as it supports OpenGL, SW rendering and D3D. HL:Source only supports D3D. Also the original HL has a lower system requirement.
-Multiplayer mode is much more popular.
-Official HD pack is avaliable
-You can play GoldSource mods if you have this version (You can find here plenty of mods for HL)
-Half-Life is part of the Half-Life Anthology pack, so you can get Opposing Force, Blue Shift, Team Fortress Classic and Half-Life cheaper.

Half-Life: Source benefits:
Graphics: Note: these listed effects don't change the image quality so much. For a comparison click on the links below.
-High quality (reflective/refractive) water effects
-Minor improvements: Shader effects (like specular, cubemap reflections, etc.); character shadows; better flashlight; improved particle effects; better decals; better lightmaps, some new textures, improved texture filtering; new RL laser
-Physics effects (ragdolls, you can attach enemies to walls with the crossbow)
-2D skybox is replaced by 3D sky, with parallax objects.
-Better texture filtering
Sounds:
-Some new sound effects from HL2
-Quadraphonic, 5.1 and 7.1 sound support
Other:
-Minor gameplay improvements (you can change difficulty during a playtrough; )

Comparison screenshots:
Picture 1 - Surface tension: Half-Life - Half-Life: Source
Picture 2 - Black Mesa: Half-Life - Half-Life: Source
Picture 3 - Black Mesa: Half-Life - Half-Life: Source

Note: all images were taken with forced 8xAA and 16xAF, on Vanilla versions. Official HD pack was enabled for Half-Life.

Last edited by trenmost: 10-16-2010 at 04:37 AM.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:13 AM   #2
theking3000

I disagree with this one '-The system requirements are lower also. This causes that the original version loads faster than HL:Source.'

For some reason HL:source loads a bit faster then HL on my system.
theking3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:30 AM   #3
PMY

Making a sticky thread about this question is a good idea and I hope that some moderator will make it actually sticky. But there are some improvements you can make to this comparison.

1) You should add that Half-Life original is also included in Half-Life Anthology pack, and if someone wants to purchase Opposing Force, Blue Shift and Team Fortress Classic as well, then he'd better purchase Half-Life Anthology (thus saving some money), while HL Source is being sold only seperately from OF, BS and TFC.

2) I wouldn't say "High quality shadows", "High quality lightmaps", etc. Actually, they are not of high quality compared to really modern shooters. They are just improved a little over original.

The overall listing of HL Source graphics benefits may mislead someone into thinking that HL source looks significantly better than HL original. Which is wrong. Actually, many critisize HL Source for not looking noticeably better than the original. It's even hard to distinguish HL Source from HL original on a random screenshot (if it doesn't show water effects or open sky with objects on background).

I think that HL Source graphics improvements must be specified in a way that creates an accurate impression for "casuals" about how better does it really look compared to HL original.

3)
Quote:
-AA and AF are avaliable trough the menu
Well, there is nothing to prevent one from forcing AA and AF in HL with driver control panel.

4)
Quote:
-If HL:Source will be ported to the OB Engine, it'll have more benefits like flashlight shadows and motion blur
Did Valve announce that they are going to port HL Source to OB engine?

5)
Quote:
-you run a bit faster (is this true?)
You mean that Gordon Freeman runs faster? Well, I didn't notice the difference and player's movement speed in HL is quite fast too. But even if this is true then this is not a benefit (excessive movement speed may be quite annoying).

Last edited by PMY: 06-01-2010 at 08:00 AM.
PMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:10 AM   #4
gorpie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenmost View Post
-You can play GoldSource mods if you have this version
I would love for this to be a sticky! Seems like one or two people are asking this every month...

There are at least 450 mods and maps for HL1 at Planet Phillip (I think 452, now). "You can play GoldSource mods" somehow makes it sound like there are only a few.
gorpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:54 AM   #5
trenmost

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMY View Post
Making a sticky thread about this question is a good idea and I hope that some moderator will make it actually sticky. But there are some improvements you can make to this comparison.

1) You should add that Half-Life original is also included in Half-Life Anthology pack, and if someone wants to purchase Opposing Force, Blue Shift and Team Fortress Classic as well, then he'd better purchase Half-Life Anthology (thus saving some money), while HL Source is being sold only seperately from OF, BS and TFC.

2) I wouldn't say "High quality shadows", "High quality lightmaps", etc. Actually, they are not of high quality compared to really modern shooters. They are just improved a little over original.

The overall listing of HL Source graphics benefits may mislead someone into thinking that HL source looks significantly better than HL original. Which is wrong. Actually, many critisize HL Source for not looking noticeably better than the original. It's even hard to distinguish HL Source from HL original on a random screenshot (if it doesn't show water effects or open sky with objects on background).

I think that HL Source graphics improvements must be specified in a way that creates an accurate impression for "casuals" about how better does it really look compared to HL original.

3) Well, there is nothing to prevent one from forcing AA and AF in HL with driver control panel.

4) Did Valve announce that they are going to port HL Source to OB engine?

5) You mean that Gordon Freeman runs faster? Well, I didn't notice the difference and player's movement speed in HL is quite fast too. But even if this is true than this is not a benefit (excessive movement speed may be quite annoying).
whoah thanks for this list

1: added, thx

2: High quality here means better than you find in HL1

3: ok i removed it

4: ok removed (afaik valve ports all source engine games but i couldnt find
proof..so i'm removing this)

5: i red it in this thread..i removed it until confirmation.
trenmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:57 AM   #6
trenmost

Quote:
Originally Posted by theking3000 View Post
I disagree with this one '-The system requirements are lower also. This causes that the original version loads faster than HL:Source.'

For some reason HL:source loads a bit faster then HL on my system.
Odd..i noticed the contrary...Others? if HL:Source loads by everyone faster, i'll remove that line.

Note: i added some comparison screenshots

One question: if you buy HL:Source can you play all HL2 mods?

Last edited by trenmost: 06-01-2010 at 08:37 AM.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:25 AM   #7
PMY

May be it's worth to mention that High Definition Pack is available for Half-Life: Source as well but only as an unofficial third-party mod. But, of course, it's installation won't be as easy as High Definition Pack installation on Half-Life original (where one just need to click an appropriate link and Steam client will automatically download and istall High Definition Pack if Half-Life is installed already). And again, it's unofficial.

Quote:
High quality here means better than you find in HL1
I think that the new "2nd edition" list of Half-Life: Source graphics improvements is a lot better. It points directly that Half-Life: Source looks better but not enough better to consider HL:S a full-value remake.
Quote:
Odd..i noticed the contrary...Others? if HL:Source loads by everyone faster, i'll remove that line.
Even if the difference in loading time exists, it must be not significant because both HL and HL:S run pretty fast on more or less modern systems. However, one can anticipate that on very old systems (or netbooks/nettops) Half-Life original would run better since it's official system requierments are lower.

Last edited by PMY: 06-01-2010 at 01:14 PM.
PMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:01 PM   #8
gamezombie

if you have the GS version of HL then you can get this for it as well
gamezombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 05:16 AM   #9
Vonje

Sierra Half-Life almost loads new levels instantly for me, it takes much longer on Steam
Vonje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 07:35 PM   #10
gorpie

Since the guy in the other thread was asking about SDK, do you get that with the Source version and not plain HL1?
Old 06-02-2010, 09:47 PM   #11
green_meklar

Quote:
-Minor gameplay improvements (you can change difficulty during a playtrough; )
Didn't someone mention a method of doing this in the console even for the Goldsource version? They said it required you to load a new map before it takes effect though.
Quote:
Picture 1 - Surface tension: Half-Life - Half-Life: Source
I think it's worth noting that in that first picture, the weapon model shown is not a weapon model available in the plain version of the game but must be from some mod or model pack. I would suggest that you should either take a screenshot with an original weapon model, or clarify this in your post.
Quote:
Sierra Half-Life almost loads new levels instantly for me, it takes much longer on Steam
This was my experience on my old computer as well. However, on my laptop the new levels seem to load quickly in the Steam version like they do in the WON version on my old computer. So I think it depends a lot on what kind of machine you have.
green_meklar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:06 PM   #12
Zetta Hoff

When Black Mesa comes out, you'll get a source version of the game for free so I see no point in wasting money on Half Life Source. For just 5 dollars more, you can get 4 games with the Anthology pack. Which is what I did. Plus, I love the mods for Half Life. If you have Half Life 2 you can play source mods, so you don't need Half Life source.

Half Life Source may be bundled with Half Life Deathmatch source, but regular Half Life has its deathmatch built in so you don't even need to load a different game.
Zetta Hoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 12:12 AM   #13
trenmost

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_meklar View Post
I think it's worth noting that in that first picture, the weapon model shown is not a weapon model available in the plain version of the game but must be from some mod or model pack. I would suggest that you should either take a screenshot with an original weapon model, or clarify this in your post.
READ THE DESCRIPTION
I said there that i enabled the HL Official HD pack!!!

cheers

Does all HL2 mods work if you buy only HL:Source?

Last edited by trenmost: 06-03-2010 at 11:09 AM.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:47 AM   #14
gorpie

Quote:
Does all HL2 mods work if you buy only HL:Source?
I think most of the HL2 mods I've played need HL2. It's possible that total conversions don't require it, but all the others I've played use HL2 models.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:38 AM   #15
green_meklar

Quote:
READ THE DESCRIPTION
I said there that i enabled the HL Official HD pack!!!
Okay sorry I guess I wasn't paying enough attention.
green_meklar is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Half-Life