Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Madballs in... Babo: Invasion

Old 02-22-2010, 02:11 PM   #1
winterwalker

Playbrains
Talking MiBI Update + Online Servers defect...

Hi folks,

Sorry for the silence - was at the DICE gaming convention in Vegas last week... just recovering now .

Anyway, here's an update on a bunch of topics:

#1 - Dedicated servers defect...

It appears that there *is* a Steam bug that's affecting our servers... There seem to be 2 independent issues causing us problems:

a) Server browsing is now much slower than it used to be... it can sometimes take 20 seconds for the server list to come back. Valve has confirmed that their algorithm has changed, and this changes the overall performance of the functions we're using. That said, since this wasn't an issue before, our UI doesn't tell you that we're still looking for servers... So *sometimes* when you think there are no servers, well there are, and they just haven't come back yet...

b) That said, sometimes there *aren't* servers... Once again, seems to be due to updates on Valves' side, but our dedicated servers are getting disconnected from Steam, and they're no longer re-connecting... We haven't changed any of this server communication stuff in months - so we're not exactly sure what's happening -- but we can detect it, so we're putting in code that will cause our dedicated servers to *exit* if they get the Steam disconnect *and* they have no players (if they still have players they'll stay connected until everybody quits). This means that all folks using our dedicated servers will need to start using our "dedi-launcher" - which will detect that the server has "exit"'d, and re-launch it ('causing it to reconnect, fixing the problem).

Those features should address the issues in the short-term, and keep things working well until we can further track down the causes of the issues with Valve...

As another note, we're going to upgrade to the Steam 1.08 libraries (we're currently at 1.07) - just in case there's some incompatibility between 1.07 and 1.08...

[And note, we've been in full contact with Valve about all of this, but they're unsure of anything happening from their side... it's all likely some combination of how we were using them before + the minor changes they've made...]

Anyway, expect these fixes in the next day or two - we'll get the online community up-and-running again... apologies on the delay.

#2 - Community missions

We have 2 new community missions (i.e. two new maps!) coming your way... the first of which will be unlockable *this week* - with the second one available for unlocking *next week*.

[And we've got more maps in the wings - so you'll definitely see more maps in March as well].

#3 - Skin missions

We've got a completely new suite of skins almost ready to roll out - so you'll definitely be unlocking all new skins throughout March and into April... And these new skins include a new feature... which I'm not going to tell you about yet

#4 - Free week-end

Valve has made good progress on their free week-end tech - and we've been assigned a tentative date for our free weekend (which I'm not sure if I can say exactly when, but its in a month or so)...

The date will be made official when all of the required tech has been rolled out and tested - probably in the next 2 weeks.

And then we'll definitely be promoting that week-end, 'cause we want to net a bunch more people for you to play against!

#5 - Video contest

Keep your entries going for the video contest - there's over $2000 USD in prizes to be won? I mean, there are only a few dozen entries - your chances of taking home significant prizage is huge!!!

#6 - A surprise...

There's another surprise coming your way soon... it's sort of MiBI-related, and sort-of not... [don't you love when we're mysterious ]

Anyway folks - once again, sorry for the silence - it's just what happens when we're temporarily busied out... but fear note, we're still 100% committed to growing and supporting the MiBI community!

Thanks folks,

Paul.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:19 PM   #2
ZetaShade

I WANT THOSE SKINS.

Speaking of which, should we miss 'em, are they going to be purchasable in the future?
ZetaShade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:27 PM   #3
BigEV

Good to hear ...
BigEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:51 PM   #4
MλRCO

Banned
I love good and new news
MλRCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:56 PM   #5
Walter Matthau

Thanks for the info! Great game, and great communication! Thanks! Can't wait to see what's in store!
Walter Matthau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 05:33 PM   #6
Daft Pink

Thank you very much winterwalker for the info. I think you guys are doing a great job of keeping in touch with your player base and all. You guys are awesome, thanks for taking care of problems unlike other people who just release their game and don't care about problems their customers are having. I think you guys are taking excellent care of this game, and I'll be sure to get more people to play this game so that you guys can get the pay check you all deserve. You guys are the best.
Daft Pink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:08 PM   #7
winterwalker

Playbrains
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZetaShade View Post
I WANT THOSE SKINS.

Speaking of which, should we miss 'em, are they going to be purchasable in the future?
Yep - absolutely

Paul.
winterwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:19 AM   #8
Shakur

Yay!
This was worth the wait...
Shakur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 02:37 AM   #9
Hammerfan

THE WAIT! IT WAS WORTH IT!

I cant wait to get back into MiB:I.

Please tell me there are skins unlockable in Suurvival! =(
Hammerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:29 AM   #10
Sybuur

Has #1 "Dedicated servers defect" really been fixed? Once again I got disconnected from the servers. I don't know how to detect if it is me, the servers or my ISP. I just don't have any tools to determine who is causing it. All I know is that after I quit web browsing works just fine and my other computer/daughter never complains about the Internet not working when I'm playing.
Sybuur is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Madballs in... Babo: Invasion