Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam for Mac > Source games

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 06-11-2010, 08:41 PM   #46
Atariangamer

How does one go about turning off the steam cloud? I was thinking that if you went offline, something, anything to get the steam cloud off, then wiped the local files (that is, the ones in your username folder, not the GCFs), and loaded it then, we could see if its a cloud issue.

And I'm guessing that -autoconfig tells TF2 to change the settings to the defaults? if not, lets try default settings.
Atariangamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:48 PM   #47
zero51

I had the same idea. Tried it, no luck. If you want to disable the steam cloud in-game you can untick it in the multiplayer options.
zero51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:58 PM   #48
Atariangamer

ah well...I guess we'll just wait for Valve to fix it...I'd love to know what was causing it, though.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:17 PM   #49
zero51

Yeah, me too. What a strange bug. I'm probably gonna still be experimenting over the weekend if I get any new ideas/spare time on my hands.

Hope this gets cleared up soon.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:46 AM   #50
NotSoCoolJ

Could you try disabling the AA and AF plus other misc settings for now via the videoconfig_mac.cfg file?

That's the only difference I can see between the working and non working config file. It could be nothing or it could be something.

MotionBlur 0
mat_antialias 0
ScreenMSAA 0
mat_forceaniso 0
NotSoCoolJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 01:23 AM   #51
DMXell

As I said, I have tried disabling everything, or turning them all to low. Doesn't make a difference.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:07 AM   #52
Toastaille

I have the same issue, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.8GHz, 2GB RAM and an 8800GS.. here's my videoconfig file:
Code:
"videoconfig"
{
	"AutoConfigVersion"		"1"
	"ScreenWidth"		"1920"
	"ScreenHeight"		"1200"
	"ScreenWindowed"		"0"
	"ScreenMSAA"		"1"
	"ScreenMSAAQuality"		"0"
	"MotionBlur"		"0"
	"ShadowDepthTexture"		"1"
	"ScreenMonitorGamma"		"2.200000"
	"mat_forceaniso"		"8"
	"mat_picmip"		"0"
	"mat_trilinear"		"0"
	"mat_vsync"		"0"
	"mat_forcehardwaresync"		"1"
	"mat_parallaxmap"		"0"
	"mat_reducefillrate"		"0"
	"r_shadowrendertotexture"		"1"
	"r_rootlod"		"0"
	"r_waterforceexpensive"		"1"
	"r_waterforcereflectentities"		"1"
	"mat_antialias"		"1"
	"mat_aaquality"		"0"
	"mat_specular"		"1"
	"mat_bumpmap"		"1"
	"mat_hdr_level"		"2"
	"mat_colorcorrection"		"0"
	"VendorID"		"4318"
	"DeviceID"		"1545"
	"DXLevel_V1"		"90"
}
I had the same problem on Crossover Games 8.1.4. until I changed the direct x to 8 instead of 9. Don't know is this is at all helpful, though, or what it could mean, if it means anything at all. But yeah, nothing else I've tried worked.
Toastaille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 06:17 AM   #53
greenbright

Yeah I'm on a legit MacBook Pro running 10.6.3 with a Nvidia 330M. I'm getting the problem no matter what I do, running in a window, changing graphics settings, offline online.... Hmmmm....

I'd be really surprised if it was a problem with our accounts - it really looks like a graphical bug. But running fine under other accounts, now that's truly strange.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:56 AM   #54
zero51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toastaille View Post
I had the same problem on Crossover Games 8.1.4. until I changed the direct x to 8 instead of 9. Don't know is this is at all helpful, though, or what it could mean, if it means anything at all. But yeah, nothing else I've tried worked.
It could be helpful, unfortunately dxlevel 80 doesn't seem to work under the mac version so we can't find out.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:00 AM   #55
Alteran Ancient

I would also like to add that I had the same graphics glitch when attempting to play TF2 on Crossover Games a few months ago. Nobody seemed to be able to help me when I told them.
Alteran Ancient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 01:15 PM   #56
Atariangamer

It almost appears as if the textures aren't showing, but the shaders are still acting on them, and rimlighting the world and objects.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:08 PM   #57
ROFISH

This is definitely a config/Steam Cloud issue. I have tried this on my office's Mac Pro and the same effect happens on my account, but it does not happen on another friend's account. It is a legit Mac Pro, not a Hackintosh.

I have done some -dxlevel stuff while in Windows, and I think that this may be part of the issue.

Code:
Hardware Overview:

Model Name:	Mac Pro
  Model Identifier:	MacPro4,1
  Processor Name:	Quad-Core Intel Xeon
  Processor Speed:	2.66 GHz
  Number Of Processors:	1
  Total Number Of Cores:	4
  L2 Cache (per core):	256 KB
  L3 Cache:	8 MB
  Memory:	6 GB
  Processor Interconnect Speed:	4.8 GT/s
  Boot ROM Version:	MP41.0081.B07
  SMC Version (system):	1.39f5
  SMC Version (processor tray):	1.39f5
  Serial Number (system):	XXXXXXXXXXX
  Serial Number (processor tray):	XXXXXXXXXXX     
  Hardware UUID:	XXXXXXXXXXX

NVIDIA GeForce GT 120:

Chipset Model:	NVIDIA GeForce GT 120
  Type:	GPU
  Bus:	PCIe
  Slot:	Slot-1
  PCIe Lane Width:	x16
  VRAM (Total):	512 MB
  Vendor:	NVIDIA (0x10de)
  Device ID:	0x0640
  Revision ID:	0x00a1
  ROM Revision:	3386
  Displays:
DELL 2209WA:
  Resolution:	1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz
  Pixel Depth:	32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
  Main Display:	Yes
  Mirror:	Off
  Online:	Yes
  Rotation:	Supported
DELL 2209WA:
  Resolution:	1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz
  Pixel Depth:	32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
  Mirror:	Off
  Online:	Yes
  Rotation:	Supported
Video Config of my account (the bad glowing edges one):

Code:
"videoconfig"
{
	"AutoConfigVersion"		"1"
	"ScreenWidth"		"1344"
	"ScreenHeight"		"840"
	"ScreenWindowed"		"0"
	"ScreenMSAA"		"2"
	"ScreenMSAAQuality"		"0"
	"MotionBlur"		"1"
	"mat_forceaniso"		"2"
	"mat_picmip"		"0"
	"mat_trilinear"		"1"
	"mat_vsync"		"0"
	"mat_parallaxmap"		"0"
	"r_rootlod"		"0"
	"mat_antialias"		"2"
	"mat_aaquality"		"0"
	"mat_specular"		"1"
	"mat_bumpmap"		"1"
	"mat_hdr_level"		"2"
	"mat_colorcorrection"		"1"
	"VendorID"		"4318"
	"DeviceID"		"1600"
	"DXLevel_V1"		"90"
}
Video Config of my buddies account (working fine):

Code:
"videoconfig"
{
	"AutoConfigVersion"		"1"
	"ScreenWidth"		"1344"
	"ScreenHeight"		"840"
	"ScreenWindowed"		"0"
	"ScreenMSAA"		"2"
	"ScreenMSAAQuality"		"0"
	"MotionBlur"		"1"
	"mat_forceaniso"		"2"
	"mat_picmip"		"0"
	"mat_trilinear"		"1"
	"mat_vsync"		"0"
	"mat_parallaxmap"		"0"
	"r_rootlod"		"0"
	"mat_antialias"		"2"
	"mat_aaquality"		"0"
	"mat_specular"		"1"
	"mat_bumpmap"		"1"
	"mat_hdr_level"		"2"
	"mat_colorcorrection"		"1"
	"VendorID"		"4318"
	"DeviceID"		"1600"
	"DXLevel_V1"		"90"
}
ROFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 06:17 PM   #58
ROFISH

Console errors when joining a game:

Code:
maxplayers set to 24
Error: Material "debug/debugluxels" uses unknown shader "DebugLuxels"
Error: Material "___fillrate_0" uses unknown shader "FillRate"
Error: Material "___debugnormalmap_1" uses unknown shader "DebugNormalMap"
Error: Material "___debugdrawenvmapmask_2" uses unknown shader "DebugDrawEnvmapMask"
Error: Material "___debugdepth_3" uses unknown shader "DebugDepth"
Error: Material "___debugdepth_4" uses unknown shader "DebugDepth"
Steam config directory: /Users/steve/Documents/Steam Content/MYSTEAMUSERNAME/team fortress 2/platform/config
Unknown command "cl_thirdperson"
Can't use cheat cvar cam_snapto in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
Can't use cheat cvar cam_ideallag in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
Can't use cheat cvar cam_idealdelta in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
Can't use cheat cvar cam_idealyaw in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
Can't use cheat cvar cam_idealpitch in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
Can't use cheat cvar cam_idealdist in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
Can't use cheat cvar cam_idealdistright in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
Can't use cheat cvar cam_idealdistup in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
Can't use cheat cvar cam_collision in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
Can't use cheat cvar c_maxpitch in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
Can't use cheat cvar c_minpitch in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
Can't use cheat cvar c_maxyaw in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
Can't use cheat cvar c_minyaw in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
Can't use cheat cvar c_maxdistance in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
Can't use cheat cvar c_mindistance in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
Can't use cheat cvar c_orthowidth in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
Can't use cheat cvar c_orthoheight in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
Unknown command "sv_backspeed"
Can't use cheat cvar fog_start in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
Can't use cheat cvar fog_end in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
Can't use cheat cvar fog_color in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
Can't use cheat cvar fog_colorskybox in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
Can't use cheat cvar fog_color in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
Can't use cheat cvar fog_colorskybox in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
Can't use cheat cvar fog_startskybox in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
Can't use cheat cvar fog_endskybox in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
Can't use cheat cvar r_farz in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
Can't use cheat cvar r_farz in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
] connect fangamer.com
Network: IP 192.168.1.127, mode MP, dedicated No, ports 27015 SV / 27005 CL
Connecting to fangamer.com...
Connected to 69.65.42.169:27015

Team Fortress
Map: cp_dustbowl
Players: 15 / 25
Build: 4231
Server Number: 60

No pure server whitelist. sv_pure = 0
Error: Material "___fillrate_0" uses unknown shader "FillRate"
Error: Material "___debugnormalmap_1" uses unknown shader "DebugNormalMap"
Error: Material "___debugdrawenvmapmask_2" uses unknown shader "DebugDrawEnvmapMask"
Error: Material "___debugdepth_3" uses unknown shader "DebugDepth"
Error: Material "___debugdepth_4" uses unknown shader "DebugDepth"
Error: Material "debug/debugluxels" uses unknown shader "DebugLuxels"
SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_foliage/grass_02_cluster01.mdl)
Requesting texture value from var "$basetexture" which is not a texture value (material: dev/bloomadd)
Requesting texture value from var "$basetexture" which is not a texture value (material: dev/no_pixel_write)
Requesting texture value from var "$basetexture" which is not a texture value (material: dev/lumcompare)
ROFISH connected
Redownloading all lightmaps
X™ :  its ok i have a soly stash to
zolso killed Coren with obj_attachment_sapper.
Coren killed Spacemarine9 with obj_sentrygun3.
ROFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 06:32 PM   #59
zero51

That's pretty interesting, ROFISH. I was wondering what would happen if I tried using a different computer. That's really strange. But still, it seems to support our notion that steam cloud is causing this somehow.

+rep for your findings, we may be on to something.

Edit:
Something I just noticed. In cp_dustbowl when you go to the edge of the map and look beyond the map boundary it kind of looks almost normal.
Interesting, no?

No idea what this means or if it has any relevance whatsoever, just thought I'd share.

Last edited by zero51: 06-12-2010 at 08:17 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:56 PM   #60
zero51

Sorry to double post but I think I've cracked it. I deleted my steam local user tf2 directory and also uninstalled steam. Then when I reinstalled steam and ran tf2 it worked! If anyone on here is still having no luck, have a go at this method.

Huzzah!

Last edited by zero51: 06-12-2010 at 08:17 PM.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam for Mac > Source games