Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Cryostasis

Old 06-30-2010, 10:40 PM   #1
Default137

Forest Story.

What relevance does this have to the game itself?

I'm only on Glacier right now, just started playing and really enjoyed it, but right after a conversation between the Officer and HQ, a blowtorch thing knocked me past some boxes, and I couldn't open a door, so I decided to give it a break.

But yeah, back to the first question, does the Forest Story ever really have any relevance on whats happening in the game itself, or is it just there to try and point out a specific story moral, or something along those lines.

*edit* Played a bit more, feels like one of those things ( its late, quiet ) where the Captain is represented by Danco, when things where easy, they all followed him unquestioningly, and he thought they would be loyal and follow him to the end, but the second things went wrong, all they could care about was their own wants, and they quickly where willing to abandon him.

Does the Captain honestly ever get a break?

And does it explain where the first things came from? I've noticed a few flashbacks where they were already on the ship right after the Iceberg thing, even though the one thing said they had no casualties, so they couldn't have been from that. Does the main characters apparent total disregard for the laws of physics cause problems later?

Last edited by Default137: 07-01-2010 at 02:15 AM.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:18 AM   #2
Mekast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Default137 View Post
What relevance does this have to the game itself?

I'm only on Glacier right now, just started playing and really enjoyed it, but right after a conversation between the Officer and HQ, a blowtorch thing knocked me past some boxes, and I couldn't open a door, so I decided to give it a break.

But yeah, back to the first question, does the Forest Story ever really have any relevance on whats happening in the game itself, or is it just there to try and point out a specific story moral, or something along those lines.

*edit* Played a bit more, feels like one of those things ( its late, quiet ) where the Captain is represented by Danco, when things where easy, they all followed him unquestioningly, and he thought they would be loyal and follow him to the end, but the second things went wrong, all they could care about was their own wants, and they quickly where willing to abandon him.

And does it explain where the first things came from? I've noticed a few flashbacks where they were already on the ship right after the Iceberg thing, even though the one thing said they had no casualties, so they couldn't have been from that.
Play further, it's not only about the captain.
The same with things

I can post a spoiler, but there is no code to hide it here, unfortunately
Mekast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 12:52 PM   #3
Default137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekast View Post
Play further, it's not only about the captain.
The same with things

I can post a spoiler, but there is no code to hide it here, unfortunately
So just beat it, and going to just be blunt and say lots of Spoilers ahead, do not read if you don't want to be Spoiled.

So, I finished up the entire story, and I still have a few questions.

The Forest Story in the end seems to be a mix of the Captain and the Main Character, the Captain tried to lead, but the fear, depression and anxiety set in among the crew he thought was loyal, and a few of them ended up turning on him. In the end though, the Main Character was the one who set the trail for everyone else to escape through.

I still have no idea where the things came from. They tell you several times the Iceburg caused no casualties, so I'm kind of curious why we saw a few while the normal people tried to repair the hull and whatnot, and just what the heck they really were. Its obvious they were the former crew, but how did they start turning, or was it just a madness set in by being left to die in the cold, and they were forced to take it out on each other. That still doesn't explain though why we encountered a few during Flashbacks, as the whole event seemed to take only a day or so to go through.

And I really liked the ending. Wasn't to fond of the whole fight with Kronus, and really wish he was just not in the game at all, and instead we went and found the Helicopter crashed in the ice nearby, but I can live with it. I especially like how throughout the game, our actions fixed the ship back up, and finally the last action we did saved everyone, by bringing hope back to the Captain. It was really interesting at the start to see a totally torn apart ship, barely holding on, full of ice and things, and as we progressed through peoples stories, and saved them, not only did we remove ice from a small area, or open a door, but the ship overall improved as well, to the point that by the end, only a few things had been broken, and everything had been fixed, from the hull, to the lower quarters not being flooded anymore, and even to the heating/machinery working again.

Last edited by Default137: 07-01-2010 at 01:03 PM.
Default137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:45 AM   #4
Mekast

Possible spoiler:

Quote:
The Forest Story in the end seems to be a mix of the Captain and the Main Character, the Captain tried to lead, but the fear, depression and anxiety set in among the crew he thought was loyal, and a few of them ended up turning on him. In the end though, the Main Character was the one who set the trail for everyone else to escape through.
It may also refer to the ship itself. Think about it (torn out burning heart (overloaded nuclear reactor), the Ship led them through the ice, the Captain saying that you become the part of the Ship, etc.)

Quote:
I still have no idea where the things came from.
As well as I remember, the first crash (when the message to hq was sent) didn't cause this that was the second one (remember the scene on the command deck, when Captain got shot). And as I think they wanted to say, that such things are inside many people and they just show up in hard situations and when people also loose their trust, belive etc.
Mekast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 03:20 AM   #5
Default137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekast View Post
Possible spoiler:

It may also refer to the ship itself. Think about it (torn out burning heart (overloaded nuclear reactor), the Ship led them through the ice, the Captain saying that you become the part of the Ship, etc.)

As well as I remember, the first crash (when the message to hq was sent) didn't cause this that was the second one (remember the scene on the command deck, when Captain got shot). And as I think they wanted to say, that such things are inside many people and they just show up in hard situations and when people also loose their trust, belive etc.
Ah.

Well, if the things came from after the shooting, it could be a mix of loss of trust, but it could also have been from the gigantic dose of radiation everyone near the reactor would have received.

Actually now quite a few things make sense, the disease was never a disease at all, the whole clinic scene was just them trying to stop the radiation from killing everyone, and those that survived ended up going mad due to the fact their brains just got fried like eggs on the pavement.

One of the main recurring themes of the game really seems to be losing one's faith. Throughout the entire game we have to fight those who had turned on their Captain, or rather lost their faith in him, and their fellow crewmembers/ship, yet we also have to go back to fix not the mistakes of the old crew, but to restore their hope and faith, so they can finish the task they were supposed to finish.

Many of the echoes seem to add to this idea, almost all of them are not failures due to not trying hard enough, but failures because the person decided it didn't matter anymore, and didn't even try, they had lost all hope, and all faith in the Captain/Ship/Themselves. Really, only the first few Echoes, the ones set during the Iceburg crash actually have the crewmembers body as if they had been trying to do their task but failed, after that, most are just sleeping, or lying about.

I'd also like to argue that Alex is actually dead, think about how he starts off, he is lying down within the hull of the ship, and a person lying down in this game has usually given up, which he has reason to given his situation. The entire game feels like a redemption sort of thing, where Alex really wasn't supposed to die like that, and was given a chance to redeem himself by redeeming the crew and saving the ship, thus having someone there to catch him before he fell.

Its really sad this game has so many issues, and is pretty harsh to try and play on ATI cards, the background it offers is surprisingly deep, and it brings up many really interesting questions. Sadly unlike stuff like Pathlogic or the Void, Cryostasis got screwed over due to all the tech stuff.

Last edited by Default137: 07-02-2010 at 07:39 AM.
Default137 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Cryostasis