Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Serious Sam series > The Second Encounter

Old 07-09-2010, 01:39 AM   #1
alenl

Croteam
Free weekend mishap - THE OFFICIAL STATEMENT

The awkward situation where the banner says "play the full game", while the game actually only allows versus levels to be played is a result of miscommunication along the lines between development and marketing.

We are very sorry that this has happened, but I can assure you this was out of Croteam's control. In any case, we (Croteam) have decided that the only fair way to remedy this is by fixing the game to allow unlimited access to all game modes, including Single Player, Cooperative, Survival, Beast Hunt and all others.

Note that due to time zone differences we cannot do this immediately, but we will do our best efforts to get it fixed ASAP. It should be enabled correctly before Saturday, so everyone should get their free weekend.

We apologize for the inconvenience and hope that our customers understand that not everything is under our control nor can everything be done without ever making a mistake. However, we stay committed to giving the best service possible to them.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:23 AM   #2
evil_Vasile

Well it's only human to make mistakes; I'd say you made up for it pretty good by actually allowing full access to the game.
I'm pretty sure most would have just fixed the advertisement and left the players coop-less.
evil_Vasile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 02:31 AM   #3
YoungScripter

Yes, this is something very generous Croteam is doing. Gogo, croteam!
YoungScripter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 02:58 AM   #4
Zp1t

Well, nice to see you guys fixing it.
And i must say, teasing the game to the public with the versus is probably the worst idea ever, it doesn't give a very fair image of the real game and i doubt many people who play it will later buy the game.
Giving access(even if limited) to the co-op campaigns or other game modes would be an much better idea.
Zp1t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:22 AM   #5
radar79

I am also curious about the coop mode , and if i like then i buy the full game , btw how will know if its enabled the full game for trial ?
radar79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:26 AM   #6
YoungScripter

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar79 View Post
btw how will know if its enabled the full game for trial ?
Eh, what?
YoungScripter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 05:40 AM   #7
spyrochaete

Very classy of Croteam to compensate its fans for someone else's mistake. I agree that this was the best way to handle it. Good show, guys. Looking forward to playing the game this weekend.
spyrochaete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 05:46 AM   #8
General Jameson

Wow, very nice. I honestly did not think this would happen.
General Jameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:05 AM   #9
MADDOGGE

Frankly I think they went overboard, mistakes happen. They maned up and admitted theirs. No reason to go overboard. I have only ever seen personally one game include the SP in it's free weekend. Every other one has been MP only. To expect other wise is foolish. Just shows what great guys Croteam are but those of us that payed for the games know that already.
MADDOGGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:07 AM   #10
Friendliest

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenl View Post
we (Croteam) have decided that the only fair way to remedy this is by fixing the game to allow unlimited access to all game modes
Yeah, obviously. TY.

If "we" is "Croteam", then who is "marketing" tho? Those guys sound mean....
Friendliest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:12 AM   #11
pizzahut

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenl View Post
we (Croteam) have decided that the only fair way to remedy this is by fixing the game to allow unlimited access to all game modes, including Single Player, Cooperative, Survival, Beast Hunt and all others.
Very well. For me, the free weekend would have been pointless with just death match. It's IMHO a good thing that players get to try the full game. This should help them to decide whether they like it or not.

Last edited by pizzahut: 07-09-2010 at 06:16 AM.
pizzahut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:17 AM   #12
Initium

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzahut View Post
Very well. For me, the free weekend would have been pointless with just death match. So whether this was intended or not, it's IMHO a good thing that players get to try the full game. This should help them to decide whether they like it or not.
The problem is that a lot of people will play and finish the campaign during this free weekend and never buy the game. IMO, Croteam will loose a lot of sales.
Initium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:21 AM   #13
pizzahut

True. The single player, co-op and beast hunt should be available, but perhaps restricted to a couple of maps. But just death match is to little if you don't like this game type.

Last edited by pizzahut: 07-09-2010 at 06:27 AM.
pizzahut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:42 AM   #14
Naity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initium View Post
The problem is that a lot of people will play and finish the campaign during this free weekend and never buy the game. IMO, Croteam will loose a lot of sales.
Not necessary. The game have a high replay value. If someone like the first walkthough (and finish it, nothing like that is sure), he'll want to replay it in a higher difficulty level - or try to score fore the leaderboard - or lose his nerves on survival - or play deathmatch - or play any of the coops - or meet friends - or hunt achievments.

The life lasting of the game is really high for someone who love old school FPS. I'm barely sure that if someone finish the game though free week end and like it, he'll buy it because it's quite addictive
Naity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:43 AM   #15
Cunin

Thanks Croteam, my friends will appreciate
Cunin is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Serious Sam series > The Second Encounter