Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Disciples series

Old 07-13-2010, 12:03 PM   #16
Miths000

This game has the mother of all bugs - you can't save! Well, technically the game gives you the impression that saving works as it should, but the loading screen shows up blank afterwards.

Right now I'm more than a little happy I only had time to waste 20 minutes in my first session earlier today.
The official forum - where a few other people have complained about the same bug - says a reinstall might fix it (plus run the game as administrator, but I take that for granted on a Windows PC). I'm trying a reinstall now, though I'm struggling a bit to see what could have gone wrong during the first attempt that wouldn't in the second.

Edit: Well, despite my skepticism, that reinstall did appear to fix the problem. Good thing - otherwise that game disc wouldn't have served much purpose as anything but a coaster.

Last edited by Miths000: 07-13-2010 at 12:28 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:45 PM   #17
trusteft

How is the game, good? I like Disciples II, and this looks interesting.
trusteft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:43 PM   #18
Miths000

I'm still on the first map in the Empire campaign (not really all that used to turn based strategy games, and I haven't played Disciples II in 5+ years), so it's for too early for me to say.

Combat is very simplistic so far, but I'm sure that's because I'm still limited to a leader plus three low level units with no special abilities.
No real strategy involved on the first map as far as I can tell. It's just a matter of running around the map, picking fights and picking up the odd item or resource.

I love the art style and the graphics in general though, but until I've played for at least a couple of hours more, I imagine that might be all I can really say conclusively .

I'm actually thinking about buying King's Bounty: Armored Princess on Steam tonight as well. It's really mostly the strategic combat I'm interested in, so I would like to see how that might compare to Disciples III (a few hours further in of course, so I actually have some decent units).
Old 07-13-2010, 02:09 PM   #19
Mazgrael

I really don't want to rain on your parade mate, but that's pretty much everything you'll have in Disciples 3. They tried to make it like Heroes, which is quite a shame, and failed a bit. Most of the abilities are useless, bugged or make no sense. I'm at the Legion campaign, and frankly the Empire hero had way better skills.

The story at its core is interesting no doubt, but it is not told in a very good way. I can say they really tried to capture the essence of Disciples 2, and try to tell the story in the same way, but sadly they failed a bit.

I really love the Disciples series, and I really hope they fix things with the upcoming patches, and the expansions.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:40 PM   #20
Miths000

Wow! Ten more minutes on the first map and I'm suddenly getting my kicked. Backed into a corner by some elves running around recapturing my land/rod/whatevertheyrecalledpoints and preventing my one tiny army to move back to the capital to get my dead acolyte revived and stock up on some much needed potions and perhaps an extra unit (just got an extra leadership point).
And very little gold left to actually buy what I need.

I guess I couldn't just get away with turning off my brain entirely after all, running around from easy battle to easy battle .

Just finished downloading King's Bounty: Armored Princess from Steam by the way. It's getting late so I'll check out it briefly before it's time to call it a night, and then I'll play start playing both tomorrow with my head a little more in the game .
Old 07-13-2010, 02:54 PM   #21
acare84

It is available now.

This Steam Special Edition includes three exclusive maps and Steam Achievements

■Three Steam-Exclusive additional maps for single player and hot seat mode: The Fall of Londeron, Secret Knowledge, Borderlands
■Over 50 Steam Achievements to unlock

http://store.steampowered.com/app/33670/
acare84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:11 PM   #22
ch0pper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miths000 View Post
Wow! Ten more minutes on the first map and I'm suddenly getting my kicked. Backed into a corner by some elves running around recapturing my land/rod/whatevertheyrecalledpoints and preventing my one tiny army to move back to the capital to get my dead acolyte revived and stock up on some much needed potions and perhaps an extra unit (just got an extra leadership point).
And very little gold left to actually buy what I need.

I guess I couldn't just get away with turning off my brain entirely after all, running around from easy battle to easy battle .

Just finished downloading King's Bounty: Armored Princess from Steam by the way. It's getting late so I'll check out it briefly before it's time to call it a night, and then I'll play start playing both tomorrow with my head a little more in the game .
King's Bounty won't disappoint you mate. I found it was a step up from Heroes of Might and Magic.
I tried the Disciples demo and it seemed ok. The battles didn't seem too tactical, and enemy AI was not good on Normal difficulty.
ch0pper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:25 PM   #23
Bullett00th

Banned
well, can't say i didn't warn you... prepare to get frustrated by bugs and bored to death by gameplay if you made the mistake of purchasing this steaming pile of poo
Bullett00th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:26 PM   #24
lonfar

Meta 69/100? when was this released? gah i was hoping to buy but kinda $$$ when the score is low
lonfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 11:12 AM   #25
demonwolff

Cause meta determines how good a game is right? You're never gonna find niche games with good meta scores.

Seriously if you are a fan of disciples 2 this is a nice fan service, if you don't like TBS why would you even consider it?
demonwolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:19 PM   #26
Sir_Carrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonfar View Post
Meta 69/100? when was this released? gah i was hoping to buy but kinda $$$ when the score is low
There aren't many reviews out yet, and 1ups scathing review is lowering it pretty significantly.

The other reviews are fairly mediocre, but some are also of the Euro version - the US version will hopefully have been patched further.

I've been waiting eagerly for this game for about six years, and was shocked that all of a sudden it was just 'out in a few days' - instantly bought it and am awaiting Steam to get the install working.
Sir_Carrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:23 PM   #27
yeomen1987

it would be nice if Steam could get the download going for those of us who pre-ordered so we could get the game RIGHT AWAY!
yeomen1987 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Disciples series