Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Alien Swarm

Old 07-22-2010, 08:24 PM   #1
RJackson

Tips, Fixes and performance increases!

I created a thread a while back in the TF2 forum, "Fix FPS" threads, listing methods (authored by others) to increase FPS and solve common "lag" problems. I feel with a lot of users reporting some problems it would be wise to create a similar thread here.

Crashes and overheating.
Everyone with CPU Overheating Issues
This threads walks you through running a simple stress test on your CPU to help you identify whether your cooling equipment is doing it's job.

Fix for temp problems/crashing
This threads dictates how VSynch and multi-core rendering can be adjusted to eliminate problems relating to overheating and crasing. This tip can also increase performance.

Swarm.exe has stopped working
If you're having problems with Swarm.exe crashing, this Steam Support thread may help you if the problem's related to Shaderapidx9.dll. You can check if Shaderapidx9.dll is the cause of the problem by following the instructions on this thread.

FPS
Turned Off Affinity for Core 0, Boosted FPS
This thread explains how source games can run better if you disallow (yes, disallow) the game to use a processor core. It's reported to work wonders on quad-core processors, dual-core processors may not notice a large improvement. Note: This thread was written for TF2, some of it's content may not apply to Alien Swarm.

Ciao's Guide to Increase FPS
This thread is full of top-quality tips, from defragging and cleaning the Windows registry, and launch options. Note: This thread was written for TF2, some of it's content may not apply to Alien Swarm.

Ping & Latency
Windows 7 Ping Spikes [FIX]
This thread explains how to disable a network-throttling feature shipped with Windows 7. It's more likely to fix ping-related problems, but has been reported to assist in FPS also.

WLAN Optimizer (Credit to Zippyduda)
If you play TF2 over a wireless connection, you may occasionally experience 'lag spikes' due to Windows checking periodically for new wireless networks. Using this program, you can disable the 'background scan' and improve your gaming wireless experience.

Realtek Lan Driver (Credit to supamark23)
Thread in a nutshell: Update your Realtek LAN driver as Windows Update may have replaced it with a bad version.

Other useful lists
Read this first! Threads that may help you!
I quote: "This sticky has links to threads that fellow forum members have constructed and other members feel should receive special attention for their good informational content. As new threads are deemed to be “sticky-worthy” they will be added. Feel free to post in any of the threads below that others have spent a lot of time crafting to help others."

Misc
How to fix problem starting on level 1 from another computers (Credit to shackanaw)
If you've find yourself been demoted a few levels for whatever reason, this thread documents how to fix such an issue.

Hosting? Do everyone you meet a BIG favor. PLEASE! (Credit to roothorick)
When people connect to your listen server, their client has a "rate" setting. By default it is set at 20,000 (bytes/second). If you're home internet cannot upload 60,000bytes/second (3 people connected) then you're going to have to set a sv_maxrate, to limit each player's rate so that everybody gets their own dedicated chunk of bandwidth, instead of their computers fighting for a piece.

If you try any techniques please leave a comment as to whether they were successful / unsuccessful.

The numbers under each 'item' reports it's successes / failures for users. Green is how many people reported a tip successful, red is how many reported unsuccessful.

Note: If a thread gets a higher red count than it does green, it does not mean it's useless. It just means it's a thread that will help a minority, minority of which you could be in so if nothing else helps, give it a go.

--

Please, if I have missed any useful topics; post them and if they're of a high enough quality, I will list them here.

Last edited by RJackson: 08-01-2010 at 03:59 AM.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:25 PM   #2
MAspiderface

Good info! This should be stickied +rep
MAspiderface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:54 PM   #3
shackanaw

I've seen a decent number of posts asking for commands to increase their FPS. Some of those "Fix FPS" threads in your post might help, supposing they can be translated to fit Alien Swarm.
shackanaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 02:32 AM   #4
RJackson

Helpfulness bump
RJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:19 PM   #5
Lambdac0re

I wanna see some numbers!
Old 07-23-2010, 03:31 PM   #6
RJackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambdac0re View Post
I wanna see some numbers!
Got to get some feedback before I can raise the numbers.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:08 PM   #7
shackanaw

How to fix problem starting on level 1 from another computers - thread by eliteideas
Old 07-24-2010, 09:29 PM   #8
RJackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackanaw View Post
Thanks for that, I've added it (+rep for you).
Old 07-24-2010, 10:32 PM   #9
Run Noel, Run!

Good help
Run Noel, Run! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:40 PM   #10
InunoTaishou

Incredible, an actual useful thread on these forums. +rep
Old 07-25-2010, 11:14 AM   #11
Ghost Ripper

Add this to first post - http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1371937. May help some people.
Ghost Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:21 PM   #12
RJackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Ripper View Post
Add this to first post - http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1371937. May help some people.
As with my thread in the TF2 section, I don't wish to include FPS configs. The threads I want to include instruct the user of steps to take to solve their problems / increase their performance, instead of sharing files.

Thanks and +rep for the suggestion anyway.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:24 AM   #13
Ghost Ripper

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJackson View Post
As with my thread in the TF2 section, I don't wish to include FPS configs. The threads I want to include instruct the user of steps to take to solve their problems / increase their performance, instead of sharing files.

Thanks and +rep for the suggestion anyway.
They helped me in tf2 quite a lot Maybe you are right.
Ghost Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:57 AM   #14
Red Spot

Thumbs up

Quote:
Crashes and overheating.

Fix for temp problems/crashing
This threads dictates how VSynch and multi-core rendering can be adjusted to eliminate problems relating to overheating and crasing.
This works for me to boost general performance.
In more detail: The game used to really hang on me when that guy is talking thoughout the missions. Turning down the sound and adjusting the above options made is so much beter I can now play the game without constantly falling back cause I froze for 20-30sec.
(In other words, it seems that the sounds are causing the issues and adjusting some graphics/cpu-settings helps unload the cpu.)
Red Spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:19 AM   #15
shackanaw

Quote:
I think this is the best attitude. I am not a fan of pre-made config files, since a lot of misunderstood, unnecessary, or redundant (can be changed through menus) commands frequently get thrown in.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Alien Swarm