Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Alien Swarm

Old 07-23-2010, 10:58 PM   #436
Voyager I

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelican_13 View Post
I used to use the Tesla both because I liked it and because it was necessary to carry a team of pubbies. I might have to go back to only playing with friends now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopHatMan View Post
Yay not being able to support a team of idiots with only the tesla, eh?
Now I have to do that thing where I am picky about who plays with me so we actually win a couple of times.
...and the fact that the Tesla Cannon let you carry a bad team through difficult levels didn't strike you as a potential problem?

I'm sorry, but bad teams should do badly or pick an easier difficulty. That's why the game comes with more than one setting.
Voyager I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:00 PM   #437
Kiljoy66

Well then, time for you to move onto the next 'OP gun/iten IMO' thread OP.
Kiljoy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:01 PM   #438
Voyager I

Banned
Flamethrower better watch out.
Voyager I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:02 PM   #439
Imperium_prime

As long as they leave parasites alone, I am fine for now on the nerfs.
Imperium_prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:05 PM   #440
Shrimpsess

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcarusNine View Post
The funny thing is, Shrimpsss didn't complain about the tesla cannon's damage and avoided making any recommendations about reducing its damage.
Thats not true. While I didn't include it in my original post, I suggested more than once that a damage reduction would help with the problem.

Quote:
As long as they leave parasites alone, I am fine for now on the nerfs.
Oh, they better leave the parasites alone.
Shrimpsess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 02:02 AM   #441
H3adbang0r

i hope the flamer gets the same treatment
H3adbang0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 02:28 AM   #442
EroThraX

I guess it's time for this game to die, waiting for the next influx of nerf this weapon posts.
EroThraX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 02:43 AM   #443
Winterkid

It's a slippery slope, honestly. All games that start it keep going. From MMO's to Strategy games, nerfs don't stop once they start. Because people abuse a good thing, the devs will often cripple it, and then the people who didn't abuse it miss out on all the fun.

Guild Wars, for example has had like 30 -40 nerfed skills BEFORE the ones nerfed just for PvP. How did it start? Some people complaining about a skill they thought too nasty in PVP. From there, other skills were made to have a PVP only version which was majorly crippled. Now it's at the point where in hard mode, you need to have a huge team all with elite skill builds to even survive in some areas, and the weapons used make little difference, unless you have a lot of help and at least 2 Monks with you.

There comes a point when bringing total balance and realism to a game makes playing it more of a chore and less of a fun activity. If I want nothing but realism, balance and challenge, I'll go walk a tightrope. Games are also supposed to be fun, and having weapon after weapon majorly crippled, and having only elite players deciding what's good or not, isn't fun. So what now? Do we reduce all the weapons to pea shooters to make a few happy, or do we let the people who want challenges play their own way with their friends (if they have any, I have to wonder about a few of them) and let the people just in it for fun play their own way with their friends?
Winterkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 02:45 AM   #444
Winterkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager I View Post
...and the fact that the Tesla Cannon let you carry a bad team through difficult levels didn't strike you as a potential problem?

I'm sorry, but bad teams should do badly or pick an easier difficulty. That's why the game comes with more than one setting.
Or an even better question, if your team completely sucked, why were you even still on that server? Were you actually having fun, or were you just on there to make yourself aggravated once they got online? And if you were hosting your OWN server, why didn't you invite some friends who play to maybe join up and help you out? Perhaps people with similar play styles to your own? Hell, just in these threads alone, I'll bet you've spotted people who think along the same lines you do... add them to your friends' list. Play with them. Play with people that don't tick you off.

Just because you got the game for free and enjoy it doesn't mean you have to play with any PUG player that can't seem to aim to save his life.

Last edited by Winterkid: 07-24-2010 at 02:47 AM.
Winterkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 02:52 AM   #445
Madnesscom9

Someone just ruined the game, I mean.... GREAT! Let's nerf the gun thats fun for the medics. But really... IŽll just stick with the flamethrower
Old 07-24-2010, 03:19 AM   #446
Ghost Dog

I'm not trolling, I really do wonder why this guy is the communities catalyst for game balance?

So far all I know is you found a bunch of console commands.
Ghost Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 03:24 AM   #447
H3adbang0r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madnesscom9 View Post
Someone just ruined the game, I mean.... GREAT! Let's nerf the gun thats fun for the medics. But really... IŽll just stick with the flamethrower
sorry to disappoint you, but the flamethrower is now on top of the whine ladder, thus being the next weapon to be nerfed.
the standard setup for medics will be medigun+medigun+power fists. sounds fun, eh?
H3adbang0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 04:03 AM   #448
Kiljoy66

No, cause then shrimp will be in here with a new thread about power fist and how you can 1 shot drones and all that and rant and rant and create another giant thread and get that nerfed.
Kiljoy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:18 AM   #449
Shrimpsess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiljoy66 View Post
No, cause then shrimp will be in here with a new thread about power fist and how you can 1 shot drones and all that and rant and rant and create another giant thread and get that nerfed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
I'm not trolling, I really do wonder why this guy is the communities catalyst for game balance?

So far all I know is you found a bunch of console commands.
All I did was help bring it to the developers attention by posting it on the BCG official forums. The developers looked at how the gun was being used, saw that it was not working as intended, and changed it to fix this.

The developers can think for themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3adbang0r View Post
sorry to disappoint you, but the flamethrower is now on top of the whine ladder, thus being the next weapon to be nerfed.
The flamethrower is working as intended.
Shrimpsess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:28 AM   #450
BrancoXIII

Tesla gun is not underpowered. I always advise my team to have one in whatever lvl shieldbugs and or parasites can be found. Totally essential for bringing them down. Also, its still the perfect medic or tech weapon cause the stun lets your team lose less health or can slow down parasite poisoning.

Oh and flamethrower? Flamethrower is supposed to be awesome. Love the combo of flaming and then beating the crap out of them with my power armor enhanced strength (srsly I think the melee animations with the bugs exploding after you hit or kick them is just pure awesome)
BrancoXIII is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Alien Swarm