Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Alien Swarm

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 07-30-2010, 06:14 PM   #16
EliteTemptation

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogfantasies View Post
I don't know the likelihood of this happening, but I actually would like it if Valve hosted a vpk repository. So that the game would download it from there to your system if you needed it, rather than the host computer. It seems like it'd be a better way of keeping players up to date with an addon as well, so you didn't have a ton of people with slightly different versions of the same addon.
yes, but that is up to mappers to list the version in their map info/name, and just leave the name @ final or complete or just a regular map name when it is fully done

although valve hosting an addon spot to download from, i don't know the chances of that happening, but let's atleast get the ability to download them in-game, and an ability to cap how many megabyte maps we want to download with a console command, which will prevent people who don't want 500 mb maps and etc

Thanks for all the support everyone
EliteTemptation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:25 PM   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #17
Jonathan

Valve
We are looking into in-game VPK download. One of the issues to consider is bandwidth. Would an addon site host potentially large files if they didn't get any ad revenue?
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:55 PM   #18
holydevel

/signed
holydevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:00 PM   #19
EliteTemptation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
We are looking into in-game VPK download. One of the issues to consider is bandwidth. Would an addon site host potentially large files if they didn't get any ad revenue?
well my main idea was

along with in-game download feature
we could have a console command
something like
sv_maxuploadvpk and (limits how many mbs of addons the server can upload)
cl_maxdownloadvpk (limits how many mbs of addons the player can download)

example
a player wants custom levels, but doesnt want to spend ages downloading them

so he would do

cl_maxdownloadvpk 100
so he can only download vpk files of 100 megabytes or less, and the server side one would limit how many megabytes it can offer to players to download, so that server can use sv_maxuploadvpk 200 and it will only let players download vpk addons of 200 megabytes or less, saving the servers bandwidth

(also server providers would love this feature, so users would have to pay extra for the service, sort of like how counterstrike and team fortress server providers have a limit for how many bots you can have on your server at once to save system CPU usage)

and, no a site wouldn't host without ads, that is true (unless they are sponsered or the guy paying for the site has the money)
but with those commands, it can limit the massive download times, ontop of that most css servers link players to an external download server that they host just for fast downloads, ontop of that, some people put their .bsp maps in .bzk or .bzk2 or something like that, which makes the map download slightly faster.

Ontop of that, maybe you guys at valve could help by providing a server or two for people to download supported addons (addons you feel are good enough to go onto your site) so people will automatically update those addons, and to their latest versions, which will keep every single player up to date with "official" addons supported by you,

with that, ontop of in-game downloading, and those console commands, it could work out better then ever, with tons of players downloading custom levels, and to tell you the truth, custom levels in left 4 dead and alien swarm, do not receive as many downloads compared to counterstrike/day of defeat/ team fortress, even though they have been out longer, the stats for custom levels on left 4 dead are pretty low..!

but if valve hosting the addon part doesn't seem possible, then the in-game feature with those two commands would do just fine!

(and players can redirect to their own websites, i know my friend could have it redirect to his site which offers uncapped download speeds, and the bandwidth would only be used for about 5 seconds (33 mb map @ 2.5 mbps per second, is like a 5 second download, and the game only supports 4 players, so 3 people using 2.5 mbps for 5 seconds, doesn't seem like a bandwidth destroyer to me)

but if possible, if you guys could have an addon content server that you updated weekly, with addons, and somehow implemented it in-game so people can view YOUR addon list, and download supported addons directly from you, and they would be considered official where players could earn experience on those custom levels.

Although all of this would be up to you guys, and the content hosting for "official" stuff is definetly up to you guys, and that i can see harming your bandwidth, but in-game downloading is more than needed!

Thanks for reading, hopefully you can take all of this in to consideration!!

(also, if there would be a way to compress vpk downloads, and then have them extract upon downloading, would make the download speed even shorter, i remember people managed to do it for counterstrike source with .bzk2, the map would download compressed and automatically extract and work, without having to leave the game, the same as downloading a .bsp -- also most server providers host from their own fast download sites, so those two doubled together, with only 4 player support (even if it was more, like 8) wouldn't really hammer them down that much, and it's been in other source games, since they've been around!)
Old 07-30-2010, 07:03 PM   #20
Yapper

/signed

I agree completely. We probably won't even need this petition anyway because they'll be sorting this out soon I think.
Yapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:05 PM   #21
oakwhiz

Thumbs up VPK server downloads

>VPK downloads from servers.

Agreed.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:51 PM   #22
EliteTemptation

bump in the road, please read my latest post, post # 22, it contains full details on everything!
Old 07-30-2010, 11:04 PM   #23
<JoCo_Fan7CH>

This just got
/signed
by ME!
<JoCo_Fan7CH> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:06 PM   #24
sadariz

Of course SIGNED
Old 07-30-2010, 11:06 PM   #25
Kilarai

Quote:
Ask Garry's Mod, they did it correctly without disturbing anyone.

You don't need to make anything complicated, all we need is the ability to download from a dedicated server, who cares where the dedicated server is from?

Who's saying we're going to use free hosting sites?

If you have the money to host a server, then you have the money to host a little file on a private server.

Last edited by Kilarai: 07-30-2010 at 11:09 PM.
Kilarai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:35 PM   #26
Frozenology

/signed

This is uncomfortable for custom stuff since L4D1

User download map is much problem for dedicate server owner.

i was install a new map to l4d and no one can play it
Unless they download the map before joining

Why Valve designing this method so bad idea.

Last edited by Frozenology: 07-30-2010 at 11:38 PM.
Frozenology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:01 AM   #27
jmendes

Signed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lccorp2 View Post
It doesn't even have to be from the server. An official Valve server/platform/website off the steam store, in game or something that lets modders upload their content and players to install it with a single click would be an acceptable compromise.
but I like this idea better...
Old 07-31-2010, 02:10 AM   #28
turtlesoup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindal View Post
800MB? The biggest files in CSS are the maps and even the bigger and heavily detailed ones NEVER go past the 100MB.
Now, if we look at AS, those maps are quiet detailed, but not that much, so let's say a map takes 50MB in average in a addon, having the normal size of a AS-Campaign (which is, taken from the UT-mod-campaigns) 6 to 7 maps, so let's say 6 with one being a bit over average. We get like around 280MB already JUST MAPS! However, people, who actually want to create something new and creative add models, materials and even sounds, which also take a lot of space - again 300MB, depending on the amount (this case, lots of models, a few sounds). So, in the end, we got almost 600MB for a single campaign.

I don't know about you, but for me, it's hundreds of times faster just to alt+tab the game, download it via browser and then return to the game. Minimal work, lot's of safed time.
you must be a young gamer, never admined a custom server, or new to mp with custom content. "proper" custom content distribution uses http redirects, that lead to different servers from where the game is hosted. your game downloads the content automatically, and extracts the files to the game install, no additional effort required from the user, and no need for link-following/steam-overlaying/alt-tabbing nonsense.

the size of these packages are completely situational, they can range from negligible files of less than 20mb when using stock assets, to huge addons that could be downloaded outside the game if need be. there's just no good reason not to have a redirect option available. and this is not new on source or any other engine, people above are correct in that other games have plenty of custom content ranging in the hundreds of mb just as easily done this way.

Quote:
I don't see how the issue of bandwidth is any different no matter what method you use for distribution. whether or not the user has to manually download it, it still has to be downloaded from somewhere for it to be played. there are plenty of free options for low traffic servers, like filden and dropbox for redirect hosting, and managed hosts already bundle file redirect with their server packages.

the method we have here only limits proliferation of custom content, ease of use is very important imo, for both users and admins. it's a step back when you compare with compression and distribution methods like pk3 and uz2 in quake/unreal engine. now obviously the scale of these assets has grown with newer games, where it's possible that redirecting huge addons might not be feasible for some, and that's ok as long as we have a system in place to easily distribute the ones we can.

if valve truly wishes to support custom content, usage must be relatively as easy as development, otherwise you got only half the equation worked out.

Last edited by turtlesoup: 07-31-2010 at 02:13 AM.
turtlesoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 02:30 AM   #29
CatNoise

Banned
I agree to this thread.
CatNoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 05:03 AM   #30
dambox

signed

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Alien Swarm