Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Spectraball

Old 03-01-2010, 10:27 PM   #1
darkgriffin1986

If demo works, does full game work?

So I've read on here that I should probably wait for a patch from a team of 2 people who are busy with their other project.

However, I can play through the demo(all levels) just fine. I actually really enjoyed it.

But I don't want to pay for the full game if the patch is needed to actually finish the full game. Since obveously, the developers themselves have said the patch is going to be pretty badly delayed.

So, a simple question is in order:

If I can play through the entire demo on my machine, including getting all the sparklies, will the full game work just as well? Or is there some gamebreaking glitch that will prevent this game from fully working until the patch is released?

Thanks in advance, and loved the addicting action-puzzle-monkeyball-adventure mix of the levels in the demo, by the way. Exellent, challenging design, and the checkpoint system makes it much more playable then certain other marble rolling games.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:44 AM   #2
Hohum

If you don't get slowdown, then great. Pretty much everybody else does by the looks of it, yet the devs plodded on with their new project instead despite many customers having problems (well done on not supporting the game properly guys btw, you've won over lots of fans for sure).

It renders the last few stages practically impossible to finish without a sheer amount of luck - the game slows down, the framerate drops, but the physics engine in the background is still going full whack. As soon as the slowdown passes, you're suddenly launched at massive speed in whichever direction you were pressing... usually causing you to throw yourself off the map. Fantastic fun, I'm sure plenty of others will agree.

Couple that with being unable to jump fully if touching a wall, and you're soon going to find yourself incredibly frustrated and ready to quit. I know I am after trying the game again today for the first time in over a year, only to find the same problems exist under Windows 7 aswell (which means I've still yet to be able to finish the last stage). As you can tell, I'm just chuffed to bits about that. Think I'll just have to write it off as a lost cause, and be more careful with my game purchases in the future.
Hohum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:11 PM   #3
darkgriffin1986

Hmm, that's a shame to hear.

A lot of other marble games have levels that are too long and no checkpoints, or resort to stupid thin railing tricks instead of the physics cleverness this one's demo had. It has been a while since I felt this "monkey ball cleverness" feel behind a game. The other ones I've been trying are all terrible as far as level design goes. Repetitive same jumps, overuse of ramps, 5 minuite levels without any checkpoint or lower difficulty just to be "hard" instead of "cleverly hard", and terrible reliance on tricks like bouncing off walls without the solid physics to back it up all have kept me from purchasing any of the other games I've tried so far.

None of these problems seem to exist in the rather solid, clever, well designed levels for Spectraball. Yes, some sections were plain evil, but they were "cleverly" evil. I guess the best way to describe it is that I felt the designer saying "Ok, now try using what you learned from us so far to beat this, you can do it!", instead of the usual "Haha, beat this you fool, though I know you probably won't cause it's nearly impossible!". It was a rare sort of challenge that I hadn't felt since Monkey Ball 1's Expert stages. The sort of challenge that requires you to take what you've dealt with so far and apply it to the new puzzle presented to you is, for me, one of the best things about puzzle/action games I love.

Well, I still might pick it up anyway, but I'll wait till my next fun-money budget to do so. It's looking like the patch is really far off(given the recent, or rather not so recent, posts on the forum), so maybe if I wait a few months, they will be able to at least fix some of the physics problems.

What is there new project anyway? Have they made an announcement about it? The game and level design for Spectraball is really clever, even if the technical side of the game is broken garbage. I'd like to see what else these designers can come up with.

Last edited by darkgriffin1986: 03-03-2010 at 02:13 PM.
darkgriffin1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:21 PM   #4
Hohum

They haven't said what their next project is. If they're particularly sadistic, it'll be Spectraball 2.
Hohum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:55 AM   #5
blindworld1

Probs no point playing soz, no one will beat me or schmevo so ummm just kinda yuh

k
Old 03-07-2010, 05:28 AM   #6
TheDaFox

I hear that the train is back on the tracks
TheDaFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:47 AM   #7
darkgriffin1986

Cool

Yeah, just checked the offical forums myself and saw the same thing. For those too lazy, here's the link:

http://www.flashcubestudios.com/foru....php?f=6&t=339

Great news, and I think I'll purchase this come my next paycheck to show my support!

It's also good to see that the deveopers didn't fall off the face of the planet, and instead are bringing it over to X-box live too(a whole new audience of sales). Even with it's technical problems, Spectraball certainly deserves something like this for level/game design alone.
darkgriffin1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 11:27 AM   #8
SergioS

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkgriffin1986 View Post
So I've read on here that I should probably wait for a patch from a team of 2 people who are busy with their other project.

However, I can play through the demo(all levels) just fine. I actually really enjoyed it.

But I don't want to pay for the full game if the patch is needed to actually finish the full game. Since obveously, the developers themselves have said the patch is going to be pretty badly delayed.

So, a simple question is in order:

If I can play through the entire demo on my machine, including getting all the sparklies, will the full game work just as well? Or is there some gamebreaking glitch that will prevent this game from fully working until the patch is released?

Thanks in advance, and loved the addicting action-puzzle-monkeyball-adventure mix of the levels in the demo, by the way. Exellent, challenging design, and the checkpoint system makes it much more playable then certain other marble rolling games.
I've tried the demo, and worked flawless, so i bought the full game, and i hadn't any slowdowns or glitches. So i suposse, yes.

Awesome game btw, to bad he hadn´t any support by the developers.
SergioS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:58 AM   #9
RockyMM303

From what I understand, the slowdowns happen on the last few levels if not THE last level.

I'm still thinking if I'm going to buy it. It looks like Jonathon79 disappeared from the interenet some time areound February this year. :S
RockyMM303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Spectraball